Witch Bottle/Jar for Protection
Witch bottles have a super interesting history surrounding them, and are very effective at trapping nasties, whether it be curses aimed at you, evil spirits, etc. So let’s make one, shall we?
- Get a jar.
- Put pointy things in the jar. Nails, pins, needles, thumbtacks, whatever’s handy. The purpose of this is probably obvious, to inflict harm on the Bad Thing.
- Put booze in the jar. I’m not 100% sure why, maybe it’s meant to entice the Bad Thing closer? But it’s a traditional ingredient, and I include it. I use gin, but wine is more traditional.
- Add spicy things, hot sauce, chili peppers, cayenne. Again, painful for the Bad Thing.
- Add a part of yourself. A lock of hair, fingernail clippings, spit, and blood are most common(obvs if you’re going to use blood, be safe). This is to tie the jar to you. The idea here is to attract Bad Things meant for you.
- Seal the jar well(wax is encouraged).
- Shake the jar while programming it. You can either invoke the jar to simply trap the Bad Thing, or return to sender.
- Either bury the jar or put it somewhere dark and out of the way. I put mine in my bookshelf until I no longer felt an evil presence following me, and now I plan to bury it.