patroclus is a really exceptional character in the whole iliad. at the time the only recognized virtues of heroes were strenght and physical ability while;
1. patroclus’ dominant qualities are goodness kindness n sweetness
2. he was good friends with everyone (XVII, 669-672, XXIII, 252)
3. when he dies, during the fight his body is protected by like, everyone, included menelaus, ajax, meriones, antíloco n all those heartless warriors (XVII)
4. guys can you believe even some gods feel bad for him (XIX, 340-348) this is fucking zeus feeling pity for crying achilles who didnt even eat
5. briseis cries for patroclus too when she remembers how sweet he was: when achilles n his fellows destroyed her city and killed her husband and all her brothers, patroclus never left her alone and promised she was going to marry achilles soon (to not become a slave) (XIX, 287-300) we need to talk more about this
6. evEN his horses !!! cry !! for him because he was such a sweet charioteer (XVII, 426-440, XXIII, 283)
7. after patroclus dies achilles says he prefers the death of his father or his son than the one of his bf(f) (XIX, 321-327) + in the iliad achilles crying on patroclus’ body is compared with a lion crying for his pups (XXVIII, 314-322),,,, ,,well this is not about the goodness of patroclus but still important (actually we can add a lot here)
and did i mention he was homer’s fave??
guys patroclus was one of the very first Cinnamon Rolls™️
I never used to read sad love quotes before you came along.
I never understood them. I was always the type of person who figured that if something doesn’t work out – you move on… Why sit around being miserable because one person left your life when you can quite easily go out and find someone else?
But I get it now.
I understand it in the most terrible way.
I now know why people write sad love quotes… why they obsess over the past… why they can’t let go… why pain follows them like a stray dog for years afterwards…
It’s because you know the person you lost isn’t replaceable. There’s no one else like them… there never was before and there never will be again. That’s why they’re called the love of your life… because you only get to meet someone like that once in a lifetime.
That’s why people write sad love quotes.
They’ve just lost the most amazing person they’ve ever met… how can you possibly get over something like that?
highlights of the author meetup w/ megan whalen turner
•"Gen, who has impulse control issues,“
•how she was determined to not write a book about a Quest and then ended up sort of writing book(s) about a Quest
•how she got into a fight with a friend one time about how to say “Avonlea” and wouldn’t say she was wrong for a long time, so we’re allowed to pronounce the names in her books however we want.
•”(it’s about) a Thief, who has bad impulse control,“
•Conspiracy of Kings is about Sophos learning to “put his big boy pants on”