do you know any lesbian movies?
i know some.. not that enough but some, my favorites are:
- saving face (2004) - besides the lesbian a-plot it also focuses on social conventions (not only in regard of homosexuality) as well!, written, directed, starring chinese/chinese americans. english and mandarin and english subtitles. this movie, just, i love it so much and im incredibly sad it’s not more popular tbh. it’s cute, goes a bit deeper than ‘only’ the lesbian plot, it’s interesting, too. god i love
- Gia (1998) - about the model gia who is considered the first top model! also she was one of the first talked-about women who died of HIV. TW for drug use and nudity, mostly. also low-key emotional child abuse. beautiful but depressingly sad movies/biography. angelina jolie plays gia and elizabeth mitchell plays her girlfriend,,,, they kiss a lot… up to this date both actress still answer questions like “who was your best on screen kiss?” with each another.)
- imagine me& you (2005) - what a classic. this trashy rom com that fulfills so many trashy rom com cliches but with lesbians gives me so much life. so does 2005′s fashion. set in england and piper (plays rachel)’s british accent is literally the cutest thing. also lena headey. has no cultural meta or references, it’s just a very very (white) cheesy romcom
- bloomington (2010) - im speechless idk what exactly is so great about it but it’s just so great
- fingersmith (2005) - … ok listen who’s not trash for a complex story with like so many plot-twists that actually make sense set in victorian england??? like??? do i really have to try to sell this one to you??? also like technically it’s a miniseries by BBC devided in two parts per 1hr30 each but like it’s so worth it. lot of tears. the book is better though. duh.
- i can’t think straight (2008) - another classic. lead character is an indian muslima and the movie also thematizises on the religious differences between leyla and tala, a palestine christian/atheist. it’s really great and such a civil conversation of it. it’s also like a hella gay movie like it’s really really super gay. leyla has “fingersmith by sarah walker” in her room like that is how gay this is.
BUT something i feel like i should warn y’all about is that the movie’s directing and production …. i’d describe it as “bollywood inspired by hollywood” meaning that it tries to ‘imitate’ western/american film techniques, so it’s a bit irritating if you’re used to just american movies.
- but i’m a cheerleader (1999) - fucking goddamn classic. hilarious movie that perfectly ridicules “straight camps” and like how often you got your family and friends tell you “honey, you’re gay” “gay? but i’m a cheerleader?” nice. so funny. so light. beautiful sex scene tbh. natasha lyonne is lead, yknow, nicki on oitnb
- D.E.B.S. (2006) - lesbian spy meets lesbian villain and together they lesbian together. such trash. such beautifully funny, bad trash. pure trash. i love it.
uhhhh i cannot think of more faves rn although p sure there are some
some other movies i can think of from the top of my head:
i feel like i have to add blue is the warmest color (2013) to the list although i hate it? i hate it’s length, plot, biphobic subtext, the typical “lesbian thirsting the dick” trope, etc. but idk it has a great aesthetic.
lost and delirious (2001), the four faced liar (2010), my summer of love (2004) (this one has emily blunt so like), tipping the velvet (2002), gray matters (2007), room in rome (2010), kyss mig (2011), a world unseen (2007),…
feel free to add more! also if anyone could recommend me/ could add more movies with a lesbian storyline starring women of color that would be amazing
thank you for asking! if anyone wants to talk about any movie i’m hereeeee