Ahhh - I just did a search (out of curiosity) for the “anti-Reylo” tag. Wow. The word “vicious” comes to mind. Apparently, if you ship Reylo you are at least one of the following (and likely all): racist, fascist, pedophile apologist, incest apologist, abuse apologist.
That’s worse than the mudslinging in the last political election, people. It’s worse than the election of 1824 (and that one was more than a bit dirty).
One of the points folks like to make is that he was mucking about in her brain. Uhhh…that’s something the Jedi do as well - and maybe even worse because they literally place “weak-minded” (Obi-wan Kenobi) under the Unforgivable Imperious Curse. (I apologize for the cross-fandom reference, but I can’t help who I am.)
From my perspective, there are several undeniable things that happen in TFA:
1) Ren treats Rey differently from everyone else in the movie (reference - compare the interrogation scenes)
2) He does not want to kill her (how do I know this? Because he doesn’t kill her and he has several chances to do so.)
3) She shoots first. (Yes, she does. I’m watching the movie right now. She does.)
4) He’s 29, she’s 19 - that’s not pedophilia. They are both adults.
5) I’d hold off on calling it “incest” because I don’t think Reylo would be in the cards if they are related. Disney won’t make Lucas’s mistake. I don’t KNOW that Reylo is in the cards. But they’d definitely go out of their way to ensure that there’s no notion of it in the films.
So, I’m not saying anything that hasn’t been said a million times, but I will say that I’m shocked at the vitriol directed at people who are simply stating what they see in a film, analyzing it using their university degrees, and promoting their thoughts. Why the anger? Is the argument of the antis so weak they can only lash out? In all honesty, I thought Rey was a Skywalker, so Reylo wasn’t on my radar. But as I watched the movie multiple times, I came to really doubt the validity of that. Of course, my doubt was helped along by JJ Abrams on multiple occasions, but that’s neither here nor there.
So here I am - a Reylo.
Who has the cookies?