Haha, I keep sending in requests, but they are SO GOOD!! Reddie, with Richie and Eddie coming out to the Loser's Club (accidental or on purpose), and being really nervous/freaked out about their reactions?
No worries at all! Sorry I was so slow to get this one written! <3 <3 <3 This ended up not really being exactly what you asked for and I’m sorry about that! I hope it’s still okay. also i felt like also adding in some backstory about how they got together so there’s a bonus haha. This is semi-canon compliant? Except that none of them leave Derry except to go to College/no one forgets each other.
- Eddie realizes his feelings for Richie pretty early on (around age 12 probably) but doesn’t dare say anything to anyone
- he’s really struggling with his sexuality and doesn’t really start to feel comfortable with the fact that he’s gay until after he finishes high school, and leaves Derry lbr
- Richie is fucking oblivious. his feelings for Eddie start around 8th grade but he doesn’t realize what they are until they’re like 16 years old.
- when he does realize he is kind of a mess tbh. he loves Eds so much but doesn’t know how to tell him and mostly doesn’t want to bc whenever the topic of dating comes up Eddie’s reaction is always something along the lines of how kissing is so unsanitary and he doesn’t want to date anyone ever.
- obviously that’s a total lie, Eddie has been daydreaming about kissing Richie since they were kids, but he doesn’t want anyone ever to know so they spend the rest of high school pining after each other but not saying anything about it.
- Richie dates a few girls publicly in high school (and hooks up with a few guys in secret), and seeing Richie dating those girls is all Eddie needs to see before he decides that his feelings are totally hopeless
- Beverly is the only one who knows about Richie’s experiences with guys; he told her once when they were high and begged her not to tell anyone and of course she didn’t. she just hugged him and told him it was okay and that she still loves him (she also tells him that she thinks she might be bi too).
- this is also how she finds out about his feelings for Eddie in their senior year and she has suspicions that his feelings are reciprocated but doesn’t push it when Richie insists that it’s hopeless.
- Richie takes some girl to the prom. when Eddie finds out, he refuses to go, but Bev convinces him to come with her and Ben. She doesn’t tell Eddie that she knows what’s going on; she knows he would just be defensive and upset and that’s not what he needs right now.
- Richie’s date isn’t stupid either and can tell right away that she doesn’t have anywhere near Richie’s full attention that night and yells at him in the hallway that if he was going to spend the whole night staring at Eddie, maybe he should have just taken him to prom instead of wasting her time.
- Richie is feeling very
unlucky because when she walks away, Eddie is right there in the doorway to the gymnasium where the prom is being held having left to get away from all the loud noise and flashing lights and had of course seen the whole exchange.
- long story short, they spend the rest of the night sitting alone out on the steps outside the school fumbling through the most awkward conversation they’ve ever had like “so…do you…” “i don’t know! do you?” “ugh you’re impossible!” “what? i didn’t even say anything!” “that’s the problem, trashmouth!”
- Eddie get’s so frustrated that he just grabs Richie’s face and kisses him hard (but his aim is terrible and he lands on Richie’s chin instead of his mouth)
- Richie is s h o o k and is totally speechless for long enough that Eddie starts getting really pissed off and right before he’s about to be like “you know what fuck you”, Richie lunges back to him and kisses him back (it’s a much better kiss this time)
- anyway they spend the rest of the summer secretly dating behind the rest of the losers’ backs. Richie really wants to tell them - at least Bev, but Eddie is still not super comfortable with his sexuality and is afraid.
- Richie tries to explain that he’s sure Beverly won’t care, and Bill and Mike and Ben are all so sappy and shit and it won’t matter to them, and Stan won’t give a fuck either, but none of it makes Eddie feel any better.
- He can still remember the lepers taunts about how everyone will hate him and when Richie pushes it a little too far, Eddie freaks out and doesn’t talk to hm for a week.
- Richie lets it go, wanting to just enjoy the time they have left before he goes off to LA for college while Eddie is going to NY.
- Eddie leaves first and they spend their last night in town lying in the bed of Richie’s truck, kissing and looking at the stars, and Richie jokingly makes Eddie swear not to meet some cute nerd in NY and leave Richie for him. Eddie (less jokingly) makes Richie swear not to meet some hot blonde girl and run off with her.
- They write to each other the entire first semester and after meeting more gay people and starting to finally feel more confident in his sexuality and writes to Richie that he wants to tell the rest of their friends when they come back to Derry for Thanksgiving break
- Richie is ecstatic and even though he insists it will be fine if they just wing it, he goes along with Eddie’s extensively detailed plan about how it’s going to happen.
- Richie is the last person to arrive in Derry and Eddie plans to pick Richie up from the airport in Richie’s car, and brings the rest of the losers along to surprise him.
- but this was a terrible idea because as soon as Richie is out of the gate and sees Eddie he runs right up and grabs him and kisses him so hard he takes Eddie’s breath away, not even noticing the rest of the losers that are hanging back behind Eddie waiting to surprise him.
- Eddie melts into the kiss at first but then his eyes go wide when he realizes the rest of their friends are right there, but just before Eddie can shove Richie off of him, Beverly lets out a supportive cat call, and the rest of the losers join her right after
- Eddie makes sure Richie knows how pissed he is that Richie blew their plan, but is secretly pleased because all their friends surge them and pile onto them in a big group hug and tell them how much they love them, and are happy for them.
- Bev waits until later on to tell Eddie she had seen it coming for years, and he blushes as she ruffles his hair and walks away.