hi.. d'you have any tips for getting over fear of failure? i sit for some really important exams next month and i'm studying adequately (i hope), hoping to get a good result. but sometimes my own expectations scare me, like, what if i don't get phenomenal results like i want to? won't the disappointment be crushing? is studying even worth it? and so on. i know i shouldn't feel this way but i can't help it. really appreciate all the help xx
Hey there :-) Here are a couple of things that might help ease your mind:
- stop making excuses and start doing - you’re probably in a cycle of wanting to do better but when it comes to actually trying, you’re either just lost or don’t feel like you can. Find small ways to be more productive - whether that be tidying up your desk, organising what you need to do, putting your work in order. If you get into a routine during each study session, you’ll find it a lot easier to stay motivated.
- identify your doubts and learn to ease them - you’re going to be thinking “I can’t do this”, “I’m going to fail”, or “this is too hard” and that is totally understandable. Instead. you should think “I can’t do it yet but there is nothing stopping me from trying”, “if I fail, I’ll figure out why and try again”, or “I’m motivated to figure out this tricky thing”. If you can change your doubts around into positive opportunities to learn, you’ll be in a better mindset for studying.
- make an inspiring and positive work environment - if you’re sitting at a desk that doesn’t inspire you to work then you might find getting that extra motivation tricky. On your desk, you should have out things that will help you study like pens, post-it notes, motivational quotes, etc! If you wanted to you could check out my ‘motivational monday’ printables. They’re free to download and you can stick them up on your wall to help you stay positive about your studies!
- remember your previous successes - I’m sure you’ve had many awesome achievements in your life and they’re so important to remember. It’s so easy to forget those cool things you’d managed to do but think of how you felt when you were successful! Whilst you may still pass without studying, how great would it be to pass with flying colours because you revised!
- remove the idea of “failure” from your mind - the likelihood is, if you’ve studied, you aren’t going to fail. You may perhaps get a lower mark than expected if you’ve not studied effectively but if you’ve done everything you should be, it is unlikely that you’ll fail because you were ill-prepared. Try to remain positive about your chance to prove yourself wrong. You can do it.
Hope this helps xx