I was reading a few articles on facebook about people trashing Akechi cosplayers in recent conventions, and I felt the need to put this out there.
Akechi haters. Haters of any character in general. I understand you have your reasons for disliking Akechi, or any other character out there, and that’s completely fine. We are entitled to our own opinions on characters from books, anime, games… any sort of medium, you name it. (to prove a point, I’ll put it here that i’m not fond of Ryuji. here ya go)
It is not ‘completely fine’ when you decide to become an extremist and enforce your opinion on the people who love that character.
When you flame people online who have a different opinion from yours, spamming their direct messages or ask boxes with hate for that person or that character. When you threaten people who draw or cosplay the character you hate. Or going so far as to actually ruin a cosplayer’s clothing or props.
That’s no longer just hating a character. That’s outright bullying.
And you’re being an immature brat if you can’t accept the fact that others may have a different opinion from yours.
(… That being said, the same also applies to people who enforce the love of their favourite characters onto haters. I’m not going to reiterate my points.)
I'm a beginner in Chinese and having a hard time finding out where to start. What would you recommend?
@defendthechibi: mmmmdamn. ok, so Chinese is not a lang I approached on my own, I started in a class, but with that said here’s some combination of how that went down and what I would suggest (if you are a self-learner of Chinese pls do add):
1. Get a fucking fantastic foundation in pinyin and tones. I cannot emphasize this enough—start good habits now or it’ll be really terrible to find out no one understands you because you were like “tone, I’ll come back to that!” Here is a very nice pinyin chart with literally every syllable combination recorded with every tone. Here’s a pinyin practice game. If you can get someone who already speaks Mandarin to help that’s of course ideal, especially for the retroflex sounds, but not essential. Either way make sure you practice speaking aloud. Here’s a funny tone explanation that’s secretly great.
2. Pick a book and stick with it. So this is not Mandarin-specific, but I find that self-learners (myself included) have a habit of starting like three different texts for one language and it’s a mess. Decide if you wanna start with traditional or simplified characters, then pick a textbook, it wont be perfect because nothing is, and maybe just a grammar book for reference. We used Integrated Chinese in class, but I don’t know that I’d recommended it for soloing, Practice Makes Perfect has great other books I’ve used and seems like a better choice. This series is good grammar help, and so is Modern Mandarin Chinese grammar (pdf). When looking for textbooks I recommend reading reviews and also taking into consideration the time/pace you want to work at. Learning a language is a lifetime thing so really you just gotta start somewhere and plow ahead. (also check what the library has!)
2.5 Don’t buy those damn books of character lists. I’m sure you’ve seen them, “memorizing hanzi!” “500 common characters!” whaaaatever. Whatever textbook yr using will tell you what characters you need right then, and if that’s not enough there are plenty of frequency lists online. More importantly,do learn the radicals. When it comes to actually getting characters into your brain it’s some combination of mnemonic device (which works better if you make it up, not if some rando writer does anyway) and rote muscle memory—so all you need is paper. Get square/grid paper and pay attention to proportions or if you must get a book, get one that has practice space. Skritter is amazing and wonderful and I cannot praise it enough but also it is not free. But like if yr really serious you’ll probably have to put some money down somewhere. Whatever you do, do not buy Chineasy it is a plague upon our language learning household. (note: some people suggest not learning characters until after awhile of studying spoken. That sounds sort of terrible to me, and it also means you won’t be able to engage with anything Chinese online. But it is a thing, and sites like Yabla, FluentU, and ChinesePod could be a way to go [and are good anyway])
3. Practice, practice, practice! Ok cool you started doing some stuff! Check you out! If you want to get feedback start posting snippets on Lang-8, you can even meet people to skype with. Or if you want (and have a smart phone) you can get a chat buddy on hellotalk. Maybe there’s a meetup group in your area who knows. Make yourself/download an Anki deck, etc. etc. Just try to always do a little something everyday. I think because of characters Chinese has a particularly steep learning curve—I still can’t open a webpage and just like read it—so it might be better to focus on practicing what you know rather than trying to engage too much with “actual” Chinese. That said….
I hope that sounds like a setup for success! Here’s some dictionaries: MDGB, HanziCraft, lineDict (let’s you draw characters). If you have a smartphone get Pleco. Here’s a thing that annotates text & has rollover translation: MandarinSpot (maybe get a plug-in if yr into those). Here are general help sites: SayJACK & Chinese Grammar Wiki. There are so so so many other resources out there, but rather than stockpile them all right now I think it’s better to focus on whatever textbook/system you chose and just start moving. Once you have a little more of a base then look for cool blogs or whatever works well for YOU.
If there was something more specific you wanted just throw that @ me. If people have suggestions you can send them in and I’ll compile them so we don’t have to reblog this massive thing くコ:彡 くコ:彡 くコ:彡
I can’t believe there are fucking discourses in the fandom because of the whole Yuri on Stage skit which is ridiculous cause it is COMEDIC RELIEF. They’re acting out of character BECAUSE it is a comedy sketch AND their characters were drunk off their asses the entire time!!!!!!! (Seung-Gil fucking kissed Nishigori and no one bats an eye at that !!)
Also @ people saying the whole Chihoko ruins Victor’s character: Are you watching the same show????? Cause Victor in the series is SO not extra that he completely abandons his skating family and coach and hopped on the first plane to JAPAN to coach the guy that won his heart during the GPF banquet. Oh wait.
Also, how is showing him being jealous toxic???? Do you NOT get jealous ever in your life? Jealousy is a normal emotion that EVERYONE feels. And it’s not like he’s being an asshole to Yuuri and said something along the lines of “I forbid you to ever speak to anyone other than me” like those douches in romantic movies do. Victor was angry but at himself!!!! He was angry that he did not know Yuuri like he think he does and to prove his love, he climbed to the roof and PROCLAIMED it TO THE WORLD. And it’s not like Yuuri is bother by this either????? He literally said to Victor that he has looked everywhere in the world and no one was better than him. Is that a thing someone would say if they are bothered by what the other do or was disgusted by it????? He even joined him on there later for God’s sakes
TL:DR: Yuuri and Victor are in love and even though they have their own ways of showing it, it is THEIRS. Stop belittling it and saying something along the lines of “IT’S TOXIC!!!!” regarding it. Cause there’s a word for people showing distaste towards LGBT couples’ ways of showing affections? What was that again???
What are your thoughts on Peter and the Starcatcher, or really all Peter Pan things? I can't find myself to get into them because it just seems TOO MUCH.
I am a giant “Peter Pan” nerd, I’m afraid. I was a big fan of the Disney movie when I was a kid – and then I fell in literal love with Jeremy Sumpter’s Peter. Then I read the original novel, which lead to the original play that predated it. Somewhere in there I saw about 6 stage adaptations and a couple more movies and miniseries and a TV series and some more books. So…I have lots of Peter Pan opinions. Especially about those hipster-y “Never grow up! Kid at heart! Young forever!” people who are all over my Facebook feed (looking at YOU chick from college with the subpar cosplay).
Here’s my main thing: Peter Pan is a lot more complicated and a lot darker than most people and media want to think about. I get it. They want the nostalgia and lack of adult responsibilities, not a lesson in mortality and maturity. But, come on…the latter is so much more interesting.
Peter’s not nice. He’s a kid, and children are rarely nice. Especially when they have not been properly socialized. They’re selfish and impulsive and they don’t understand consequences – particularly consequences that have to do with other people’s feelings and well-being.
The best adaptations acknowledge this. It isn’t just that Peter’s youthful; he’s childish. But a weird kind of childishness where he’s had to survive on his own and fight and take care of himself, more like a child of the streets than a nymph.
So for that reason I like “Peter and the Starcatcher”. It shows why Peter pulls away so hard from growing up – an abusive past, nothing but horrible adults in his life, and too little time to be a carefree kid. So it makes sense when he accepts without too much protest he’s going to stay a kid alone on the island. It does all this without so much of the happy-shiny “Let’s fly and laugh at danger” many of the shows have. Plus it’s really fun and clever. I like its heart, and I love that it’s all swash-buckling and adventure-y and dangerous.
I low-key hate this version. I call it the “Mary Martin Peter Pan”. It’s the one that community theatres put on too often and that they made the live TV musical out of. It takes away any seriousness the story might have in favor of just being fun and pretty. Plus, it has Peter as a girl’s part which it HATE. Why do we always have grown women playing this young boy? Why? It’s awkward and awful. It must stop.
STOP. Though a few of these songs are catchy. I can’t deny that.
I loooooooove the Stiles and Drewe “Peter Pan”, though. It’s probably my favorite stage adaptation. This one never made it to America/Broadway for some reason. But it did rather well in England and Copenhagen, where it premiered. One of the best parts about it is that Peter is written for a guy. It’s a high tenor part which makes sense since, you know, small-framed men who dance and sing high tenor are rather abundant in the musical theatre world. It also features a more vicious Peter, with a gang of Lost Boys who are a little unsettling. And Wendy is way more developed – she gives Peter as good she gets, pretty sassy and not taking so much of his nonsense. Overall, it just hews closer to the original Barrie stories while adding GREAT music. 10/10 – buy the soundtrack now.
Another interesting, lesser-known adaptation is “Darling”. It’s a musical by Ryan Scott Oliver, and it’s much more freely adapted. It’s set in the streets of Boston in the 1920s.
I like that it’s so different than all the other versions out there. Plus, the music is jazzy and soulful and so much fun. Everyone is darker with a sad past. And then this young woman is finding a strange new world every bit as exotic to her as Neverland.
Ways to Cheer Yourself Up (When wanting to be alone) - 50 top things to do
1. Go ON Tumblr, believe it or not, we don't care where you're from, what you do, how you're being you, as long as you are being you, you're pretty much welcomed on here. That's why i love it. Unless of course you are homophobic or judgemental or ignorant - then the people will speak for themselves, we look out for each other here.
2. Read Books; escapism is a wonderful thing
3. Listen to music; and no - not the sad, 'ALL BY MYSELF' type music, but the kickass songs like 'I will Survive' or 'Loser Like Me' just celebrate yourself for being awesome, because we know you are; even if others don't; especially then actually.
4. Become your own superhero. Every single one of you have a talent or a dream. Follow up on that talent/dream. YOU ARE WORTH IT, and you can be whoever you want to be.
5. DISNEY MOVIES. Unless you absolutely hate bursting out into song - better cut of highschool musical and glee while were at this, then Disney is the best pick me up ever.
6. Watch your favourite TV shows. Remind yourself why life can be awesome. Watching your fav characters usually means you can relate to them.
7. Go on walks - it's very pretty outside, and sometimes our heads can be overloaded with information or stress, I advise calming music and a nice walk outside in comfortable clothes.
8. Have a diary. A friend of mine recently bought me one, and it's a godsend because all the anger, or emotions I feel, I try to put in the diary rather than putting it out on others. It also calms you down. I feel better when I write.
9. Speaking of writing...if you enjoy it- WRITE. Writing is a wonderful way to escape. You can put all your emotions into your characters and they just come to life. I tend to do that when I'm stressed.
10. If writing is not your thing then bake. I've actually ironically read in a fan fiction where a character would bake when stressed and try out new recipes, this character tried making butterbeer; maybe be adventurous; have a food blog or something to keep you occupied.
11. Be With Your Pets - Pets are loyal creatures, and they love you, even when you're being a pain in the ass, and I hear they're very good listeners.
12. Now I don't know about you, but I LOVE Musicals. If you are a musical fanatic like me and you're feeling a little down, my dears; listen to those awesome voices, because sometimes we just - need - a break (Also, if you haven't watched RENT, watch it - NODAYBUT TODAY...or Starkid...Starkid make the most funniest musical parodies, even if you don't like musicals I suggest it, and if you're not enjoying their YouTube Channel, then I'll eat my own hat).
13. ASK ME ANYTHING. If you really want to talk to somebody but you don't want to talk to people you know and you just want to get things out, my ASK box is always open.
14. Find a hobby. If you don't really want to talk to anybody, that's okay, sometimes we need to just have some 'me time'. In my me times, I usually deactivate from Facebook, and just focus on things that make me happy. Like; Puzzles, Sudoku, Games, writing, cooking, singing, whatever it is...travelling even. Enjoy yourself.
15. Travel. Maybe being stuck in the same place is the problem, maybe you're head wants to be in a place where it can ACTUALLY THINK.
16. Go Hiking. I suppose Hiking is similar to walking but if you're an outdoor person, this is a great way to clear your head and to feel fresh.
17. Hit The Gym. Or even do your own exercises. I like to walk - do crunches, and I love Zumba. I love dancing. If you love being active, this is also another way to clear your mind from negative things.
18. GO SEE A MOVIE!!! When was the last time you had fun? Even if it's just by yourself. You're allowed to treat yourself. Go, enjoy, be surrounded by people, even if they're strangers.
19. If you like coffee, treat yourself for one at a local cafe. Who knows, you might meet your coffee soulmate in a cafe one day.
20. STOP thinking Negative. Have a Pros/Cons List. Try not to outweight the Pros list with the Cons. Please?
You are good enough.
21. Write down a bucket List, and start ticking them off. Having goals and dreams is healthy. If you have dreams, then you have a direction of where you're going.
22. Get help. It's okay, if you're head is in a really bad place to reach out to people. It really is okay.
23. Help others. If you're not sure what to do with yourself at all, be useful to other people less fortunate than you. Volunteer! Work with Charity, Feed the homeless, help the guide dogs association.
24. Smile more. It looks good on you, believe me. Spend time with your guilty pleasures, my guilty pleasure is binge watching glee
25. Please DO NOT go to a pub to drink to ease your mind, if you are going to do that, do it with a friend, or somebody close.
26. Eat Chocolate. Okay yes while society says NO DON'T EAT THE FATTY FOOD. Hey; screw them. If you feel better eating a bit of junk go for it. There's nothing wrong with eating a whole pizza or tub of ben and jerry ice cream when feeling upset - just try not to make TOO much of a habit :
27. REBLOG YOUR FOLLOWERS POSTS, you might be surprised that you aren't the only one feeling the way you're feeling, you might be surprised by how much you're forgetting that hey - it's gonna be alright.
28. Do something nice for your neighbour. Ah who knows, have you ever actually talked to them? Maybe they might be lonely too.
29. Have a GAMES Night. A very good friend of mine loves Games. If You LOVE Games, then hell have a marathon of them. Play the sims, be in control.
30. Speaking of marathons...dun dun dun - MOVIE MARATHON, I Don't Know About You Guys, But Having A Harry Potter Movie Marathon always cheers me Up. WITH FOOD Of course, and good company, but this is about cheering yourself up, so if you don't want company, that's okay.
31. Draw. I love drawing too. I suppose I'm more of the creative person. There are a lot of different types of people out there, maybe you like solving things - do those fancy cube things Idk what they're called. If you are like my brother and you love Maths, then maybe you can tutor someone. On one hand you're helping someone, and doing something you like doing, just like I'm drawing because I like drawing.
32.Be with kids. believe it or not, kids are the most innocent little munchkins, and they honestly don't care what you look like, if you play hide and seek with them they'll be thrilled, so long as you're nice to them, they're generally nice to you... but be warned, they tell it how it is too. I talk a bit different. The most popular thing they've said to me was "Is that why you talk funny, because of the things in your teeth?" (They've also never really seen braces before) I even had one kid determined to get me to sing 'Everything is awesome' I'll never forget that because this kid clearly didn't care how I sounded, and just wanted me to sing with her. I felt great.
33. If you're into Fairy Tales, Please Please Read Chris Colfer's The Land Of Stories series 1-4. It's an amazing series, and you almost forget what world you're in once you start reading. Plus, there's more coming (I'm a little excited)
34. Watch Pixar Movies. You can't go wrong.
35. GO TO HOGWARTS. Harry Potter Fan? Visit - Platform 9 3/4s in London, or go to the Harry Potter World, or if you can't actually visit these sites, go on Pottermore.
36. Read Fan Fiction, you might not be a harry potter fan, but whatever fandom you are in, believe me sometimes Fan Fictfion Cheer me up. I adore Glee *Don't Judge Me* and Dalton is the best thing ever. Or Little Numbers...or Both. They cheer me up big time.
37. Role play. If you like superheroes or characters, go be with the crowd. I believe they have events like Comic Con, and on Facebook they even have Events for such things, go be with strangers! So long as it's safe of course.
38. Write a letter to the person who inspires you most and send it. You might be surprised by an answer.
39. Pick up your instrument. Don't ignore your musical talent if you do have a musical talent. Remember, you're worth it. I don't care what you've done. Pick, It Up.
40. Maybe go visit your family? I know this is about 'quality me time' but if you haven't seen your family in such a long time or are at a distance. Maybe being surrounded by something familiar is what you need.
41. Change Careers. If you're not enjoying what you're doing or studying, change it. I remember in highschool a teacher said you might change your job 10 - 12 times before getting it right. It'okay, you just haven't found where you're meant to be yet.
42. Enter a competition - Who knows what will come from it, take risks.
43. If you're a risk-taker, challenge yourself. IDK how you're going to do that, but google has some pretty good answers. Even ask your tumblr followers, they follow you for a reason after all.
44. Go on a boat. Go Fishing! I don't know, it's not my thing, but if you like fishing, then hell - go out there and fish.
45. Find time for yourself, are you working too much? Maybe you are working too much. You know life doesn't stop for nobody, and if you keep pushing yourself so hard, time will go so fast and you won't realise how much of that time you could have spent on your own self.
The world is not going to end if you treat yourself.
46. You ARE Good Enough. Listen to my words. Sometimes encouragement is all we need, when people feel hopeless, or like everything's gone wrong. It's gonna be okay. I promise, just hang in there.
47. Write Down Quotes that Inspire You. I have a wall of these, and of people that inspire me too, and it reminds me of the good things in life when I'm in a crappy mood.
48. Find something to do. If you're not doing anything, go take up a course, research things that interest you, you might be surprised by what comes from it. Join a community that enjoys doing things you do.
49. Go To The Beach - If you live in Australia like me, visiting the beach is actually really calming and me and my best friend always would go on a random drive, and drive up to a beach or a look out, and it was always calming. Enchanting too sometimes. Maybe we forget about the place we live in, and what's exciting about the place. If you're in New York, visit Broadway or The Statue Of Liberty, or if you're in London, go to the London Bridge, or the Eye, visit the Eiffel Tower if you're in Paris...just go Anywhere.
50. Take a random journey. Go on a train to somewhere new, go on a road trip. You never know what's around the corner.
I love the Dishonored series and I love Dishonored 2, but the more I play it after initially beating it the more I can't help but think the store is severely unfinished. It just moved too fast in parts and it felt like there's so much more going on that was left untouched
list of some of the inconclusive things in DH2:
dropped intro fight sequence where you use what you’ve learned in the tutorial to attempt to fight the Crown Killer (they are faster than you and stronger than Corvo and they escape)
dropped longer intro where you christen the Imperial Sailing Ship Jessamine on its maiden voyage on a tour of the Isles (although I hear there were many suggested versions of the intro)
insufficient exploration of whether Delilah’s story is true
it takes about three weeks to get to Karnaca on the Dreadful Wale but none of that time is spent talking Meagan about who she is, how she knows Sokolov or the emotional repercussions of having been ousted from your throne
dropped Jindosh league-of-assassins subplot (recall his line in the 2015 trailer “if you strike me down, you become what we said you were! You become one of us!”
really not exploring what the non-lethal elimination does to Jindosh
the Dust District/Crack in the Slab trying to be the DH2 version of The Flooded District, but you actually don’t get to wander around Karnaca with your decisions not directly affecting the storyline; in fact if anything they affect it tremendously what with the time travel you get to do
I watched the Hobbit movies and Dawn of Justice in their theatrical and extended versions, and interestingly enough the extended versions work better (which is a minor point since those movies aren’t spectacularly great). Dawn of Justice “breathes” more with more time spent on Lois Lane’s investigative journalism stuff. The Hobbit movies actually work better if all of the extended and deleted scenes with the White Council are included, because it builds enough of a subplot of escalation and gathering darkness to be a B-plot that nicely counterbalances the A-plot of the main quest.
insufficient time spent impressing the weight of your actions in changing the past (is your time-meddling as Emily the reason why Breanna doesn’t know about the Void anomalies mentioned in DOTO?)
why can Delilah survive death and come back through the Void when others can’t? She’s not the first Marked one that we know has died - there’s The Lonely Rat Boy and Granny Rags.
Even if you think “okay Daud didn’t kill her he just sealed her in a painting of the Void” then what’s to stop Delilah from escaping the tree in DH2 and doing this all over again?
Delilah apparently controlling just the Tower district in Dunwall - we don’t hear and don’t know about the rest of the city. Obviously Delilah defeated the High Overseer and the forces he led against the witches, but it doesn’t appear Delilah had any short-term plans apart from holding off everyone long enough to finish her world-changing painting
what would the painting The World As It Should Be really do and how would it work?
Overall I think one of the problems is that you are made to work through the societal problems of Karnaca as exemplified by its silver mining industry in order to get the “good ending” and that isn’t really that necessary when the main plot is getting the tools and knowledge to take down Delilah.
I’ve heard it said that plot is never the strong point of the Dishonored games. The plot of the first game is very simple and many people (not me) saw the Loyalists betrayal of Corvo coming a mile off. But that does not mean it’s a bad plot. In DH1 you’re sort of pulled along in the Loyalist Conspiracy and used as a tool for their gain. But in DH2 you’re the one trying to take back your throne and it just doesn’t work as well
There's such an importance on successful missions as it's what their villages' economy depends on. What do they do if they can't fulfill the request? Can't find a lost pet does the owner gets a refund? If things are so peace full and they don't want their economy taking a dive, they'll have to be willing to make a mission out of almost anything and charge a good amount for it. Meaning they could potentially be taking a good deal of jobs away from civilian people. What do you think?
This is such a great question. I’m really wrestling with this subject in one of my fanfics (good, satisfying wrestling, don’t get me wrong).
The mission-based economy is at the heart of what’s wrong with the shinobi system. Why?
1. The most coherent historical narrative for the Narutoverse is that society pre-the Founders was basically uncentralized, with daimyo (daimyo literally means a great land owner) “ruling” but not really doing much for the common people. Therefore there was no real sense of patriotism or nationalism–everything was very clan-centric. The clan and its continuance was the priority over individual lives. In this landscape, some people over time developed the ability to mold chakra better and better. They started out little better than ordinary soldiers in the real world, taking jobs for hire (mercenaries) but by the Founders Era, shinobi had become so much more powerful than civilians (especially with ninjutsu) that even children were able to be effective soldiers. The power breakthroughs started coming faster and faster, amping up the arms race and resulting in unprecedented bloodshed, which led Hashirama et alia to seek a better way.
2. The founding of the village replaced the clan with the village in people’s priorities, and encouraged more people to work together. A good first step, honestly. Hashirama also tried to distribute the tailed beasts in an attempt to make power balanced to discourage war–also an understandable step. But the problem was that this was still very much a mercenary society. They were still continuing the pre-villages mentality of work for hire; they didn’t question the role of the daimyos and the civilian power structures.
3. This is a big problem, something that was made glaringly obvious in the very beginning with the Land of Waves mission: ninja abilities were made available only to those who had the ability to pay; and in this new world of chakra-based abilities (and taijutsu mastery), civilians were totally defenceless against even genin-level ninja. What’s more, missing-nin, under constant pursuit by their old villages, were definitely willing to take any mission, no matter how low. So this forces poor civilians who need help to either roll over and die, or to lie and pray that low level ninja can help them–often just resulting in the ninja dying.
4. Obviously, this is not going to do the image of shinobi much good amongst civilians, especially since shinobi culture has been attempting to cope with the trauma through emotional suppression and dehumanization of both themselves and their opponents. Shinobi are killers for hire, living tools–the shinobi culture and the civilian culture are going to mirror this back and forth at each other.
5. So to reform the shinobi system and make an actually peaceful society–not just one where the kage-led villages aren’t fighting wars with each other–there inherently needs to be an end to missions. In particular because the non-combat applications of chakra molded skills are limitless, if you have even a tiny amount of imagination. A really just and prosperous society that is peaceful isn’t one that says to a man who was robbed of everything he owned, forced off his land, and had his family killed by a missing-nin, “fuck you, pay me, that’ll be an A-rank, half in advance”. Yeah I’ll get all Spiderman on your butt and say that with great power comes great responsibility.
6. So it only makes sense then for shinobi to be directly financed by the state in order to assist in both common good projects (eg imagine all the infrastructure wood release can do) and helping those who cannot currently afford what they need (especially after constant war which is at least partly your fault, ninja).
7. The daimyo have to go. The series can only offer up a feeble “they preserve social order by giving out ribbons after we all die” from Genma of all people in their defence. I’m not saying they’re going to the guillotine, but c’mon, feudalism? Really? No.
8. Ultimately, and this would actually be quite tricky, there would need to be some kind of democratic system in which shinobi voluntarily ceded a share of power and decision making to non-shinobi. Basically we’ve inadvertently got a weird X-men thing going on here, only worse. It’s X-men if regular human beings didn’t have guns or tanks or airplanes or any of that. Completely defenceless.
9. Super duper ultimately, because I’m too tired to rephrase the previous number, you’d need a really strong moral sense to become rampant, because otherwise “but why don’t we just enslave all these civilians and live like kings” is, like, a possibility, especially since in the past the villages seemed to have very much taken a “mind your own business” approach to atrocities going on in other nations.
Land of Water committing genocide against bloodline limit bearers?
Hanzo running dictatorship and brutally suppressing revolution?
Ame’s new leadership kills not only Hanzo but everyone associated with him, including children?
You get the picture. The Narutoverse is very much not a society where anyone ever seems to say “heyyyyyy… maybe we should… do something… about that…” Probably because of that whole “let’s systematically kill our human emotions to cope with killing for money” thing.
Anyway this would be a nice thing for Naruto to change.
If I can add to the discussion, while I do think the media likes to glorify romantic relationships, it's the fandoms that make them seem like the most important thing. In every fandom I've encountered, relationships are always romantic and are the most talked about subject even if the relationship(s) are not important in the actual canon media. I'm not saying they can't have fun with it, but fans seems to have a sort of (for a lack of a better word) fetish for romantic relationships.
This discussion really has become nicely nuanced because of contributing perspectives. You bring up another good element of how romance is treated: fandom culture.
I do believe that media and fandom culture feed each other. It’s impossible to avoid sexual themes in movies and even advertising, even for things that should have nothing to do with romantic relationships. This sort of permeation of romance-as-norm, romance-as-always is going to enter the minds of people who interact with fandom material.
It’s very common in film to show characters following their newly-met love interest and prioritizing them over their well-developed, long-term friendships… for the love to be portrayed as something that is of a greater and more important focus. Frozen (which admittedly I’ve only seen once) even takes a shot at the idea of romance being central… by making a joke about how a character shouldn’t fall in love with someone and go with them in a day. The joke wouldn’t make us smirk if something wasn’t going on in our stories. Media’s portrayal of romance is skewed and the characters bend themselves backwards to follow romance first and foremost. It’s not surprising that the emphasis on romance and the devaluation of platonic bonds enters its way into the thinking of fans who have been consuming contemporary media material. Even if that specific fandom doesn’t focus on romance, the overarching trend of society for romance-first is going to inform the minds of fans and influence how they interact.
In movies, books, and television series, it’s extremely common to have stories focusing on romantic triangles and disputes… somewhat akin to some ship wars I have seen in fandom interactions. Romantic tension in the media world can mirror romantic preference tensions in fandom communities.
But yes, fandom communities can demonstrate a strong proclivity toward romantic relationships. This cultural proclivity and care for shipping is noticeable because of how emotional and contentious individuals can get about shipping… it has, in some ways, turned into shipping politics. Fandom participants sometimes turn combative if members prefer different ships… some dramatic events with Kataang/Zutara and Korrasami/Makorra are coming to mind for me. (I’m not going to get started on my experiences with Undertale’s shipping politics). It’s even amazingly common to see incestual ships (Fontcest, Wincest)… or ships pairing one individual with themselves (Onecest). Lots of terminology has arisen in internet English because shipping is so popular… words like “shipping,” “smut,” “OTP,” “OT3,” and “NOTP.” It’s even to note that linguistic paradigms have unconsciously developed and then observed by linguists for how we create new pairing names… because we do it so much. There is almost guaranteed going to be a ship between any two random characters, just because that’s how fandom works. So yes, fandom and shipping is something that is often very popular.
Again, romance isn’t wrong. Again, going ship-happy in a fandom isn’t wrong. Romance is a good experience. Fandom shipping can be hoards of fun. Please, go have fun! It’s not a bad thing to focus on the elements of a story that we like the most. I admit I myself, when talking with my fellow friends who love Mass Effect, tend to get into some rather excited, long-winded screaming sessions about who we’re romancing in our playthroughs and why. But I do agree that fandom culture in many pockets does elevate romantic considerations, too… as it is a reflection of what society overarchingly does as well.
Character / Genre: Min Yoongi x Y/N (Y/N’s POV) | angst
Summary: You were his soulmate, that part he knew well. Until one day he didn’t want you anymore. He couldn’t, when all he could see from you was light and all he felt within himself was darkness. Your love gone cold as he retreated from you, burying himself deep in the darkness. But what happened when Yoongi had to watch you start over with somebody else, when Yoongi let his selfishness gain control of him of you.
a/n: The main story of Undo was highly inspired by this song (along with the video), but this drabble was particularly inspired by Soul Eater by Sofie
I’m so lazy that I check the number of followers quite seldom but seeing this made me almost fell from chair. Needless to say that I’m incredibly happy to receive so much positive feedback and followers during the past months from you fellow fans (not only here but also at the rp-blog @luffyasksandanswers)
But why suddenly going nachos about a uneven number? Well as you can see from the content of the blog I’m a enthusiastic shipper and this number happens to be linked to my other OTP Sanji and Nami because 373 is their shipname in japanese (more about Sanami and numbers here by @sanjiafsincedayone).
Since I (honestly) never expected to have this many followers and this came suddenly I don’t even know what to give you guys as a “thank you gift”. I’m still working on SaNami in the New World pt. 4 - Whole Cake island (part of a serie written with fellow mate @pernanegra) but waiting can feel like forever so I’ll drop a list about my Sanami-related posts which you can read meanwhile :) !
These and rest of the One Piece related posts are listed also in the navigation-page (which needs updating I know). Well the title sums up the thoughts so one more time thanks a big bunch for every follower and mate for patience, comments, likes, reblogs and sharing thoughts about OP without to mention how cool it’s been to get to know you guys via the chat. Have a nice weekend and stay awesome mates!! \o/
Day five of my November Fic Challenge is a personal favorite, soulmates! I went with soulmate identifying marks as the particular trope, always a classic.
This fic features Tony/Rhodey morphing into Pepper/Tony/Rhodey and takes place mostly pre-IM1 and some during IM2.
When Jim wakes up on
his twelfth birthday and sees the partial soulmate mark on his skin,
he’s both exhilarated and frightened. Not everyone gets one, and
he’d been worried he’d be one of those people. Now that he sees
it, however, bright blue mark like a beacon on his inner thigh (and
that’s going to be an annoying spot, isn’t it, but at least it’s
easy to hide), he’s more worried about what it means. The thought
of having someone out there who’s supposedly your one true love is
pretty big for a twelve year-old to process.
...why does everyone think that Gryffindors only wear t shirts and flannels and ripped jeans. Seriously, every Hogwarts fashion aesthetic post says the same thing but some Gryffindors prefer to have polished and elegant aesthetics. Some of us like to be stylish and girly and have pretty things. Gryffindors can wear high heels. Gryffindors can wear dresses and jewelry and makeup and none of that means we can't also value bravery and represent our house.
Oooh…ok, I admit it, I am a bad perpetrator of this one. I recently made a fashion post (which I think you might be referencing), and you are absolutely right, Gryffindor was paired with t-shirts and flannels. This is definitely a common occurrence, both in my posts and other people’s. I recognize this issue, and I am going to try to avoid it in my posts in the future, however, that’s speaking for me and not the fandom, so let me see if I can answer this a little better.
I think that there are 3 main things that play into this stereotype of Gryffindor fashion:
The first is the color. While red is the color of lipstick and many ballroom gowns, it is also the color of your stereotypical flannel. To a lot of people, red isn’t an elegant color. It’s the color of rust, and blood, and (sort of) fire. It doesn’t really scream elegance. While red 100% can be (and is) a color that can be associated with elegance, I think that very few people associate it as such when they first think of the color, and in turn this heavily influences the way they think about Gryffindor clothing.
Second, the Gryffindor traits. The main Gryffindor traits that people usually mention are bravery and a sense for adventure. While these are by no means the only Gryffindor traits, they are definitely a large aspect of the house. Like the color, most people don’t associate either of these with elegance. They associate it with hiking, and road-trips, and getting in fights, not of which you would really want to do in a dress. This, of course, is ridiculous. Wearing high heels is a brave thing to do, so is wearing a new, pretty lipstick that you haven’t tried before. Dressing nice and fancy is brave and it is wonderful. A lot of people are self-conscious of their bodies, and it takes a lot of courage to make yourself look nice and show everyone how pretty and awesome you look. Yes, anon, you are right. Being brave and dressing nice are not mutually exclusive. They actually fit together better than most might think!
Third, the Gryffindor characters in the series. In the series, the main Gryffindor characters that we come into contact with are Harry, Ron, and Hermione. None of these characters dress in a particularly fancy way (with the exception of the Yule ball.) I think that this influences the fandom a lot. They are given an example of Gryffindor characters who don’t dress in an elegant way, and I think that it might rub off onto how Gryffindor is viewed as a whole.
Anon, you are 100% correct, and I apologize for every time I (or anyone else) has stereotyped your house. While Gryffindors can dress in flannels in t-shirts, they are also absolutely stunning in cute skirts and pretty earrings.They can wear lipstick, high heels, and shirts with lacy collars. They can wear whatever they want, and in the end it makes them no less brave, no less courageous or adventurous, than anyone else.
Idk if anyone's prompted you that Silverflint kidfic thing yet, so if they haven't? *raises hand* ;D I am a sucker for kidfic. So how about... Silver singing 'dance to your daddy' to a wee babby they can't quite bring themselves to leave at an orphanage. Pretty please with cake on top?
Thank you so much for this! ❤️ I will take all the kidfic prompts that you or anyone else wants to send me, honestly. I deviated from the prompt just a little but I think it’s still good. This might end up cross-posted to my AO3 later; for now I’m so eager to post it I’m just putting it here.
Tentatively entitled “these three remain” from the Corinthians verse - and now these three remain: faith, hope, and love, but the greatest of these is love.
Just dropping by to say thank you for all your hardwork for Conro series!! Thank you!! :D
Anonymous said: Thank you for translating Family Affair!
Anonymous said: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR UPDATING FAMILY AFFAIR! I’M SO SAD IT’S ON HIATUS BECAUSE THAT CLIFFHANGER!
YEAH RIGHT??!?! WTF HAPPENED TO HIM IN THAT HOUSE WHO DID MY BOY KILL
First of all i woul like to say: Thank you so much for all your efforts, i love your scanlations!!!! I’m now obsessed Kurahashi Tomo and your scanlations allowed me to know of her work!! Thank you so much!! Really, if you ever need help cleaning, redrawing or proofreading let me know at XXXXXXXX i have no expirience with manga but i’m a textile design major so i think i can handle it. I just want to help you guys spread the love!! Hehehe ok i’ll stop being a creep now. Thanks
I crossed out your email so I could respond here, I hope you don’t mind! Thank you for your message and offering to help! Sadly, I won’t be working on any new projects so I doubt I’ll need to bring anyone in. Give your thanks to the anon! She’s the one who brought Kurahashi Tomo to me, I’m glad you enjoy her works! And lmaoo you can’t say the word “creep” in front of me without following it up with-
Hey, may I ask what the progress is about scanlating Code? Really wanna read the sequel
Pleasem will you guys give us update about Code’s progress? I’m dying to know 😣
I wasn’t planning on working on it, but I reached out to Tranquil Melancholy and we’ve decided to do a joint. Give me a bit to get all the raws together then I’ll start translating.
The plot is literally:
Anonymous said: Do your friends actually call yu daddy??? That’s so funny
My dude. I’m telling you…
these are the people i call friends…
Anonymous said: Happy father’s day daddy!😂😂😂
Hello Peachyicedtea. My name is Hien Mai and I’m from Vietnam. Can you give me the permission to translate your “Ai ni dekinai koi wa iya” project into Vietnamese? I will certainly put your credit on the Vietnamese translation. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to read that marvelous translated manga. I hope you will answer me soon and have a nice day! Regards. Anonymous said:
Hello, Be With You Scans.I am Vietnamese and I am writing for you in order to ask for permission to translate your scans/ translations into my language - Vietnamese.I hope you allow us to translate: Bokura ga Koi wo Ushinau Riyuu by ITZ. And in the future, if you allow us, we hope that we can translate some more projects of yours. Of course we will announce your Group first when we do that and put your credit With You Scans. I am looking forward to your answer. Please, reply me soon!
I don’t accept rescanlation/retranslation requests.
Anonymous said: Hello! I was wondering if you could ask hoshi kuzu scanlations to join their scanlation spread sheet so you can uppdate us on your series with all the other groups?
Actually! Hoshi was kind enough to reach out to me and invite me to join, which I graciously accepted, but since I’m currently only working on 3 series, 2 of which I plan to complete by the end of next month, I didn’t wanna go through the trouble of just adding onemanga on there orzzz.
I’m not sure if you noticed, but it was your one year anniversary a couple weeks ago! I just wanted to say congratulations and thank you for your year of hard work!
!!!!!! I didn’t know! Thank you for telling me!! Oh damn isn’t the anniversary a big thing? I know a lot of groups release a bunch of stuff on their anniversaries… IN MY DEFENSE I’ve been translating BL for a while and my first solo work was Batsu Game c.1 which was released on my personal tumblr, before justpeachyicedtea even became a thing… So…. Yeah…
Hi! Can we get an update on basu game chapter 3?
hi u are so great so amazing I am so thankful so grateful for your entire existence and being u are too good for me too good for this world thank u sm for doing bokura ga koi wo ushinau riyuu honestly u are just wonderful thank u sm i feel alive thanks to u and ofc to chrima scans as well !!!!! what a wonderful bunch of people u guys are seriously too good for this world
Lmao but in all honesty, Batsu Game ch3 is currently being typesetted by my love, but she’s enjoying her stress free vacay at the beach so let’s let her have some fun, yeah? Oh, I got the raws for ch4 (currently being cleaned) and yall….
But don’t let this page trick you. Ch 4 is pain.
As for Koiyume Lover and Ai ni Dekinai Koi wa Iya…. Well, I’m currently back home and it’s been months since I last ate decent food so let me enjoy my mother’s cooking and just chill around before I go back down to hell. Though my best friend finally turned 21 so give us some time to go out legally before I come back to this old thing. Jk, I’ll work on Ai ni ch 2 soon and release it by the end of next week. It’s 3am now so b y e.
Okay, I just wanna say I love your writing (especially your FFXV Series and I can't wait to see more). I actually want to ask your opinion, who would be the most ruthless tickler and who would you rather be tickled by? For me, I feel like Ignis would be the most ruthless and I would be rather be tickled by Ignis. What do you think? I know it's a weird question, but you write the best tickle fics ever and I wanna hear from the genius behind the madness.
Omg thank you for thisss but it’s so hard to decide!! But thank you for your sweet comment and I’m gonna try to rank the FFXV guys as tickle monster from least to most ruthless 8))) the genius behind the madness omo.
Noctis is real good at getting you totally flustered as he seeks out your weak spots. His main goal to tickle you is because he loves hearing your laugh and being a little playful, but he’s never worse than his friends. He’s so SWEEET.
That he’s least ruthless out of all four chocobros doesn’t mean he will let you up until you’ve at least laughed yourself nearly breathless BUT he is the most princelike after all and if you’ve got a few good tricks up your sleeve it’s easy to manipulate this cutie.
Put up an act as if you’re absolutely dying and this sweet lil softie will get really concerned like “omfg I’m so sorry sweetie! Are you alright!?” and lol you’re totally fine you’re not that weak,, so you can use this chance to turn the tables and tickle HIM and it’s the best thing in the world. Tickles with Noct are mostly him tickling you senseless until you find the opportunity to make it a nice tickle fight and you two just have so much fun togetherrr~
The only reason why Prompto would be more ruthless than Noct is because he has a few entirely different motives: well ofc he loves your laugh too, but mostly this guy loves to TICKLE, like seriously.
It’s basically his hobby and he will use you as his precious victim to tickle to complete and utter death while he taunts and chants (which only adds up to the torture) and on top of that he also tries to snap pictures of your charming not so charming teary snotty laughy face. Getting tickled by Prompto can be a fun playful nightmare-ish torture all at once.
also it doesn’t matter if you’re in the mood or not… this guy will get you in the mood and you’ll be tickled anyway. With the necessary strength you can kick him off properly though for at least a quick catch of breath, but watch it, he’ll keep going after you until he’s satisfied. which isn’t soon…. You’re always exhausted after a night with Prompto<3
Then we have Gladio and I’d say he’s a bit of a combinaton between Noctis + Prompto level 2: he’s more ruthless than Noctis is but also more merciful than Prompto is; he will give you the necessary breaks in between the tickles to gasp for breath and kiss your neck sweetly while he makes you melt into a puddle.
But what makes him more ruthless than Prompto is his iron grip like he’ll wrap you up in his arms like he’s a big gorilla and you just completely can’t move at all. With him on top of you and his arms around you while his fingers wiggle against your tummy and sides, his lips tickling your neck and ear as he presses you into the couch / bed mattress / grass - wherever he’s subjecting you to his sweet torture, or whenever he’s holding your ankle in a tight grip and tickling your foot until you scream bloody murder – there is just no single way to escape his clutches.
You can’t manipulate him with silly acts (he sees right through you), you can’t kick him off, he barely budges when you hit him, all you can do is feel it and it’s absolutely killing because the way he embraces and cuddles you at the same time is just bad for your heart and mind in general. Btw he’s the one I’d most rather be tickled by<3;D
I’d have to agree with you anon, Ignis is absolutely the worst and you don’t but kinda would want him after you, he’s the mastermind of the tickles!<33
He can be sweet, yes, but while Noctis and Gladio shower you with love and affection as they tickle you, and Prompto is one giggly playful ball of sunshine who jokes, taunts and makes pictures, Ignis just makes you feel like you’ve fallen into the villain’s lair and won’t come out until you’ve been tickled to death and back to life until you’re going crazy. More than just the act of tickling or hearing your laugh, he enjoys, no, LOVES to make you feel absolutely helpless and hell yes he succeeds at it.
Ignis pins you down and knows how and where to tickle you to drive you mad. He’ll not necessarily start at your most ticklish spot but just work his strategy of how to make you suffer the best from his tickles, and his low voicy threats and taunts are just kinda exciting and scary all at once. He gives off the atmosphere of knowing of no mercy at all and he is a pro at tickling you at spots you never even knew were so sensitive, as if he knows your body better than you do.
After you’ve literally suffered from the best and worst torture of a lifetime, Ignis will just give you a gentle carefree kiss on your forehead and ask you what you want for dinner as if he hasn’t fucking tickled you to damn tears just now.<3 this little monster!
Just a little something I came up with the other night.
“Sorry ___, but something came up at work this weekend and there’s no way I can leave.” Your lame excuse for a boyfriend said through the phone.
“You’ve got to be kidding me! This is the third time we’ve arranged for you to meet with my parents, and every single time you cancel! If you don’t want to meet them that badly, then just say so.” You fumed, trying your best not to let your temper get the better of you.
“Look babe, I know you’re upset but I’ll bring home your favorite deep fried chicken’s feet and beer? I’m just super swamped this weekend.” He said none too convincing.
“No, I’m tired of taking the backseat to your job! If you love me, then you’ll come with me this weekend to my parents anniversary party! They want to meet you and get to know you, you can even take the car and just make an appearance, baby please.” You plead to him through the phone.
“___, if this was any other weekend then I would be absolutely be willing to go with you-”
“That’s what you’ve said every single God damn time! You know what? I want you and your shit out of my apartment by next weekend. Hopefully you won’t be too busy at work, otherwise your shit will wind up on the fucking streets. Have a nice day.” You hung up the phone angrily and threw it on the couch in frustration.
Anonymous requested: “This one might be a little dirty.. hehe.. Sheldon discovers naughty internet videos for the first time. He is fascinated and asks amy to watch a film with him on date night, without her knowing what kind of movie he picked. They talk about it, Sheldon might reveal his secret physical attraction towards Amy and his urges.”
Sheldon was looking
at techniques to improve coitus with Amy. She said he was already
good at it, but he thought that he could always get better. There
were a lot of dirty minded people out there, so he was having trouble
finding something that wasn’t completely disgusting. He wasn’t
having as much luck as he thought, so he just clicked on one of the
videos and covered his eyes.