Snarkiness aside I truly believe these people are unwell. I think we’ve all had unhealthy attachments at some point but this shit takes the cake. Up until relatively recently I’ve only thought it was sorta funny and strangely admirable in how intensely devoted people were to convincing themselves and others that Gillian and David are dating. Even with that said I don’t care if anyone feels attacked by this post. I mean, people feel attacked by HMSGillian for fuck sake.
I think my attitude towards it shifted because my technically-but-not-really President and his administration openly deny facts and think anyone who dares to question him is the enemy. I’m far from being the most politically astute person in the room but this kind of mentality is terrifying regardless of the subject.
It’s unhealthy, batshit, and/or stupid:
- to dismiss Gillian and David’s own denials of a romantic relationship between them then act as if someone slandered Gillian’s name because they suggested she may be joking when posting a photoshopped image of David’s face on her latex covered body
This “its insulting to Gillian to think she’s joking all of the time” type of shit.
- to think a very private person is sending messages thru social media or comic con shirts. (does this really need to be said?)
- to righteously think you know which complete stranger is better for another complete stranger.
- to simultaneously champion her as an independent and intelligent woman but act as if she’s a naive 15yo girl who needs to be protected from her own romantic choices
- to think you know how they would answer an interview question depending on their marital status. (example: “David would have politely corrected the interviewer if Gillian wasn’t his girl so she must be”) Uh, confirmation bias anyone?
- to spend hours tracking down a damn bracelet, finding one that looks similar, assuming it’s correct, then deducing (because of the price tag) that only one specific person could have possibly given it to her
- to spend days wallowing in bed at the thought that a relationship that isn’t yours may have ended. If it even existed to begin with
- to surmise their Twitter usage (or lack of) is evidence they’re spending time together
- basically damn near everything that gets used as evidence of Gillovny is fucking stupid. They just take something and refuse any other explanation. (”Gillian didn’t have to wear a Schmoopie shirt so it must have been for David.”)
Whether she’s with Peter or not the “cross promotion” thing sorta seemed plausible at the beginning but it’s ridiculous at this point. Cross promotion obviously happens and its obvious when it does happen. When was the last time it was done in this manner? And it’d be heavily skewed towards the show that the network spent 100M+ dollars on already. Gillian, let’s be honest, is not the biggest star in America. You use actors in the show to promote the show. She’s talked about The Crown solely thru social media so why attend premieres and award shows? The nominations/wins is enough to promote the show. The premieres would be covered in the press even without Gillian’s presence.