Day 4: May is AP Exam season! What are your tips for studying for tests?
First of all, happy Star Wars day! May the force be with you during your exams (and in general).
The Day Before
- wake up, have a nice breakfast (not too much coffee pls)
- get dressed!
- tidy up your study space if necessary
- get out your notes one last time (only the summaries/final notes if you have any of those)
DURING THE DAY
- go over your notes once or twice again and check if you have everything memorised
- go over everything you especially struggled with another time
- stay hydrated
- eat light and easily digestible things
- cut out caffeine after 4pm because you need a good night’s sleep!
- take breaks :)
- personally, i don’t study the night before an exam (after 6pm)
- take a nice bath or shower
- if you eat dinner, don’t make it too late or too heavy
- set your alarm and two backup alarms, and if possible tell someone who will be awake at that time to wake you up if all else fails (or to give you a wake-up call)
- pack your bag with EVERYTHING you need (including water, keys, paper, pens, ID, calculator, bus pass, tissues, tampons/pads if needed)
- if you want, set out the clothes you want to wear the next day so you don’t have to worry about it in the morning
- go to bed before midnight, ideally at a time that allows you 7 to 8 hours of sleep
The Day of the Exam
- manage your time in a way that allows you to be at the exam location half an hour in advance (earlier buses etc)
- have breakfast!!! don’t skip breakfast, it gives you the energy your brain needs during the exam. if you feel like you can’t eat anything, try just toast or a granola bar or dry cereal or something like that. tea is good as well.
- don’t drink more caffeine than you usually would. you’ll probably be nervous as it is and caffeine makes you extra hyped
- go to the toilet before you leave your house
- if you feel like you would benefit from it, skim your notes one last time (on the bus maybe or during breakfast)
- if that would just freak you out, read something else (comics, the newspaper, tumblr, whatever really)
- get encouragement!! have someone tell you that you’ll do fine or wish you good luck. it’ll make you smile and have a more positive attitude. possible people: best friend, parents, siblings, grandparents, and of course tumblr or other social networks.
- if other people make you even more nervous because they all seem so much better prepared than you (they probs aren’t though), avoid them. listen to music or read something or avoid the exam room itself as long as possible. focus on yourself if you work better that way.
- if talking to others calms you down, don’t choose the ones with headphones or books to talk to because they’re probably the ones who want some peace and quiet
- do your best! :)