I follow you because you post nice art. The longer answer is that at first it was kind of an ego thing because you drew fanart for my fic. It was great and I loved it but now I also like you as a person.
alternative title: i am broke and am too afraid to torrent
1. i use canva.com to create my icon art !! it’s free (yay webapps!!) n easy to navigate !! u have to sign up before using it,,, so go do that first
2. figure out a color scheme!! here are some resources for inspiration (xx). (lazy hint: pastels/muted tones generally make pretty foolproof color combinations)
3. find a subject! google images is your best friend. for the banner of this tutorial i chose a kikki k planner (here’s my reference image) and simplified it a bit. note that anything with uncommon shapes will be a bit more difficult to do based on canva’s relatively small shape selection. (ex: things like notebooks are easy to do in canva because they’re rectangular, but,,,,,say,,,, a starbucks cup might be a little harder because it’s a unique shape)
4. go to canva and click “custom dimensions” !! i generally have my icons around 400x400 px but it’s up to you! just make sure the length and width are equal
5. click on “background” > “document colors”. pick a background color from ur color scheme,, note that if you have a darker background you might want to have a lighter subject to create contrast and vice versa
6. click on “elements” > “shapes”. if you chose a rectangular subject like i did, then this should be rly simple – just pick the square and tweak it following the rough proportions of ur reference image. you can change the color of the shape by clicking it and selecting the square top left icon in the little toolbar that pops up !!
if you chose something a bit more complicated, like a pen, then use a combination of the shapes available and layer them on one another to form the shape. (ex: if i chose a basic pencil, then i might use the rectangle shape as the base of the pencil and the triangle as the point.) there’s no polygon tool or anything close to it in canva, so this is rly not a good time,, but alas. feel free to msg me if u need help !!
7. great great u got the base of ur subject down !! add a backshadow behind it! do this by selecting the shape(s) you just made and copying them !! select the copy and change its color. to access the color panel, select the new shape(s) and click on the little colored square in the top left corner.
now,, what color do we make the shadow?
in these icons, i make my shadow hue by copying the background color (go to “document colors” to find the bg color of the doc) and decreasing the original background’s brightness enough to make the subject “pop”. then, select your shadow and click “arrange” > “back”. now, offset the shadow– i generally just move it a tiny bit down and to the left of my subject. you’ll know when it looks right when the subject appears to have some depth.
8. add details to your subject !! here, you want to add anything on the surface of your subject !! some examples of things i have added to various subjects on this step are brand labels on stationery, lines on paper, buttons on a calculator,,, etc. play w it a bit !!
9. (optional) add a shine to your icon or object! go to “elements” > “shapes”. i generally have my shape cut across the center of the object/icon at a diagonal, so the triangle or circle are usually the best to use for this !! select whichever u choose and change its color to white. then, change its transparency by clicking on the upper-right checkered button. i usually choose a transparency anywhere between 10% and 30% !!
i hope that was helpful !! feel free to shoot me an ask/msg if u have any questions ♡