So I'm going to try and commit to making a comic... any tips? I have a short attention span so making comics are quite difficult but I love making them.
Seeing you mentioned “have a short attention span” so here is some of my not-really-professional advices for you welp, hope they can help.
1) Grow a habit for marking down your ideas for plots/characters/even drafts for the comic! Just mark them down in a notebook/sketchbook/even your own phone. You can use your own spare time aka when you have nothing particular to do for doing this (e.g. wait for bus,breaks from lessons/work or during lessons because I am a irresponsible student lmao don’t follow me) As I am slowly starting on my own OC comic (it is a secret shhhhh) I started sketched down drafts for how my comic goes on, which just looks like this lmao:
(As far as you can understand the contents yourself, it is ok for your stuffs to be messy *Audible wink*) This is not only for using time more efficiently in editing your ideas, also saving your energy when you start actually drawing stuffs out.
2) While you are drawing your comic, look out for whether yourself being distracted to doing other stuffs. If you find yourself have been sneaking out for shitposting on Tumblr/looking unrelated stuffs on other websites, drive yourself back into your drawing immediately, internet is always powerful enough to suck away your time. Of course you are allowed to take breaks, maybe set up several 10~15 minutes breaks for you to relax, let your eyes and hands and brain to rest is important. But above all, don’t force your body to do things out of your limit. It is ok to take things slowly, you draw for fun, if forced, nothing will be fun anymore.
3) Make sure you have enough energy when drawing. Drawing under a tired situation will never make you work be good as your brain can’t even work firmly. If you still want to finish another page first while it is already midnight, go sleep first. There is no time limit for your comics, you health is always on top of that. Moreover, sufficient sleep can gain you more attention span as well!
4) If your aim is to make a GOOD comic, don’t hesitate to look up tutorials and reference! There are already so many good teaching references from how to plan comic frames to basic anatomy, learning is forever good.
This post has talked about how to do well time management in a really clear way, way better than my clumsy words haha. I hope all these helps!
Drew my boi Léo for a speedpaint on YouTube called “Bloody Léo” (my channel is Masked Enigma) I really love how it turned out. I’m still working on lighting tho and I think I did well to create the dark, creepy tone I was going for.
This was sketched time ago and never upload it from my RivamikaAU (really old au and never used it…fuck). I dont know how comics work so forgive me. Also, I´m waiting for good ideas and free time to draw more.
Leyendecker study. I’ve been developing a style for my comic, I really like Leyendecker’s approaches, especially when he has this appealing, angular style to his work. I also live how he handles his values!
hmmm I feel, doodle-wise it’s about the same traditionally and digitally! I just take a bit more time traditionally because I can’t copy + paste the panels like I do digitally:
Usually I prefer doing the comic stuff digitally, but if I’m too lazy to boot up my computer I just doodle in my little sketch book! :’D If you’re asking about actual drawings, I don’t actually have many (because I have the drawing stamina of a squashed tomato trying to skateboard with no wheels whoops
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
) but I do have some tucked away in my sketchbook!
There’s a lot of Final Haikyuu quest doodles/drawings in there because I,,, well,,, weLL
(Also the “at the vine tree, turn left” thing was a FHQ!! headcanon story excerpt by my good friend hina, about iwaoi finding each other in the forest in their childhood. Back in the day I wanted to make a series of these tiny watercolours and create small opening for a self-indulgent FHQ!! parody game but alas, squashed tomato drawing stamina strikes again but im determined to finish it somehow!!!)
* I started drawing this the moment I woke up from my well deserved nap.
* Because you know what this blog really needs? More me.
* (Honestly this was drawn for my own amusement to see how good, or how bad, I can make ridiculously fast sketches look, but it does take place in the skele-household so why the hell not. I did say I might include myself in these comics sometimes, instead of Frisk.)
* (You get to have an amazing insight on what I’m truly like after college.)
* Lmao ok now I’ll really go eat something and start working on the next piece of content you are all REALLY here for. I shall cease with the Papyrus-disapproved-word-starting-with-an-S-posting……….. for now.
* Nyehfully yours,
* PS i have to give my cat treats every time I come home, or she screams.
Awhile back a friend and I where talking about how we kind of like the art style used in Archie Comics. I also follow the Archie Tumblr and they started posting pics from their “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” comic and I thought her look was really cute, so I sketched her up really quick in my style when i had some free time, ok now back to important work.
Really old but they were laying around in my tablet and felt I had to do something with them. Just showing how differently characters act with specific people.
Brian with his best friend Minghong compared to with his lover, Evan. I’m still determining whether I should draw this comic soon. It depresses me when I work on it.
Since I used the scanner today (my parents asked me for something lol)… might as well scan some sketches!
So these are the sketches for my posted comics here ahaha. Includes Natsu can sing, Soulmate heterochromia AU and Angst week bonus prompt: Ever after. (You could click on the pictures to see the description!)
Yeah, this is how I do my comics. Most of the time, I sketch on paper first then draw digitally. But I don’t really have to follow the sketch haha (Well you could see that here hahaha only the END and the Ever after is similar to the final one lol)
Here’s the final colored version of Emma and Warrick in their Kingdom Hearts garb. This concept was originated by my friend Kalil, who is a huge fan of Namesake. It was an intriguing idea and designing the clothing was challenging, so we had to do a bit of brainstorming on that together. This was a lot of fun! ^^
Materials: Toned grey 400 series sketch paper, mechanical pencil, Copic Multiliners, and Prisma colored pencils. All while taking cable repair calls! lol (really, it was only in between calls. I have no idea how long this actually took if I were to just count the time I was working on it…).
Also, thank you for so many likes and reblogs, Namesake fans! I’m super honored that Secondlina reblogged my previous sketches. *bows graciously* Thank you! I love your comic so much. :3
Hey, guys! I apologize for the lack of activity; I’ve been really busy catching up on commissions and preparing artwork to display/sell for my local Barnes & Noble’s DC Comics event this Saturday! I’ll be posting some of those works soon, but in the meantime, here’s something to tide you over!
My friends and I were talking about No More Heroes the other day, and how much we liked that Otaku trash, Travis Touchdown, so I decided to try a warm-up sketch. I’d like to try drawing him proper soon. Also, Shinobu. Because Shinobu is such a badass.
omg I felt so dumb when I realized my drawings used to come out really distorted and sometimes off angle because I kept drawing everything on flat surfaces! only when I drew with the pad on my lap would I have better results but it took me forever to make that connection cus I was selft taught no one taught me to ‘official/ by the book’ draw until I went to college, I didnt know any of the rules for comfort and w/e so even today I have trouble transitioning out of it cus I’m not in a school setting or working on any major project to have me doing that until I really started working on this comic book. and I’m just really excited to see how it all transfers over to the rest of my art like tattooing and sketching life drawings and shit.
Been working on some DC chibis to add to my keychains & buttons, since I only had Marvel ones so far. I’m really happy with how these guys came out. :) I have a few other characters sketched out, I just need to finish them. Hopefully I’ll have them ready for Anime California this weekend–otherwise I’ll have them ready for Long Beach Comic-con.