So I’ve been thinking about it lately and there’s one simple switch that could have put season 3 in a different, possibly better developed direction. I’ve seen it mentioned before but the more I dwell on it, the more sense it makes.
Lena buys CatCo and brings in Sam to run that instead of L Corp. That’s it. Here’s why:
First of all, and this is a big thing that has been bothering me, but Lena would never leave L Corp. L Corp, her baby, her family company that she has vowed to pull out of the ashes and make it a force for good under the new name she’s given it. She has poured her heart and soul into this company and is damn good at it and they want me to believe that Lena would ever give L Corp to someone else to run so that she can look after another company? L Corp is the one part of the Luthor Legacy that Lena is clinging to because she can do good and great things as its head. It’s her father’s company, her brother’s company, her company and there is no way in hell that Lena would hand the keys over to someone else, say “lol it’s your burden now” and leave. L Corp means too much to her, it’s the key to the redemption she thinks she needs just because she’s a Luthor and Lena would not walk away from that.
- Now Lena would of course still buy CatCo and take a little time to know the company, that’s a no brainer. It’s a good investment, she’d be pulling one over Morgan Edge, and most importantly, Kara asked her to do something and Lena is whipped. Kara is also whipped. Both these soft girlfriends are so in love and so whipped that of course Lena would buy CatCo because she can’t resist Kara’s pout as we’ve seen time and time again
- Where was I going with this
- Right so since we’ve established that Lena belongs at L Corp, here’s why Sam would’ve been a good addition at CatCo…
KARA AND SAM WOULD ACTUALLY HAVE SCENES TOGETHER AND WE WOULD GET TO SEE THEM BOND INSTEAD OF HAVING TO BE TOLD HOW CLOSE THEY ARE IN A SHOE-HORNED SPEECH. I’ve talked about how much it bugs me in this post but goodness gracious, I really can’t believe how badly they rushed their dynamic??? The show is called Supergirl and we barely get to see the relationship between her and another Kryptonian/possible relative? If Sam were at CatCo, we could see how she and Kara interacted. We could see them become friends, how they work together, how alike they are, how Kara and Ruby bond when Sam brings her to work. We could have been invested in that relationship because we actually saw their relationship. We would’ve rooted for Kara and Sam to be BFFs and would’ve been devastated during the Supergirl/Reign showdown because it would have been two people we saw become friends now fighting each other. It would have contained that emotional element that the original, admittedly cool looking, fight scene lacked and the development of that relationship would have been a lot more organic.
- Plus can you imagine Sam’s reaction whenever she can’t find Kara only to be told by some employee that “Oh Kara just left for her exclusive interview with Lena Luthor.”
- “How often does she have those?”
- “Like every other day.”
- Sam immediately calls Lena up “I know I can’t say anything because you’re my boss but as your friend, damn get it girl.”
- Plus whenever Kara isn’t out “interviewing” Lena ;) you know she’s out on Supergirl business and now imagine not one but two people with secret identities leaving CatCo only to fight each other in the streets five minutes later.
Sam being at CatCo means an easy integration into the friends group. She knows Kara, Lena, and James so being invited to Kara’s apartment for game night? It’s no problem, she knows most of them. Alex would still be introduced to Ruby and that part of the storyline could continue without issue. This also raises the stakes for everyone because the more fleshed out connections Sam has with everyone, the sadder it’ll be when Reign is finally here to stay.
Speaking of James…James. I know many, myself included, dislike the current story the show is doing with him and I think Sam being the one at CatCo instead of Lena would fix all of that. The most obvious reason being that there would be no abrupt BS “romance” between him and someone the writers have made him continually put down. But for other reasons too, I promise!
- The transition of a new head at CatCo would have been easier if it wasn’t Lena. James’ hostility towards Lena, whether it’s snapping at her for asking where Kara (an employee of hers) was going during work or having a bit of a condescending tone when explaining to Lena about advertisement space wouldn’t have existed. He might have been wary of Sam when she started since she was put in charge by Lena but I don’t see that lasting long.
- James is so sure Lena is like Lex. He felt that way before and after meeting her. He felt that Kara, who defended Lena over and over, was under the same Luthor spell that Clark was under and because of that, didn’t believe her. I know it’s silly to think that Sam of all people would have an impact on James’ opinion regarding Lena when he doesn’t know her but I think that’s why it would work. Because Sam is someone completely unconnected to the Superman and Lex Luthor debacle. She’s just a regular person (minus the whole…worldkiller thing) who’s friends with Lena and has funny anecdotes about her and makes the woman in question seem more Lena than Luthor to James. And I think that’s important because while I don’t like the romance at all, I need James’s opinion on Lena to change and for them to even become friends.
- And you know what, I think James and Sam would really get along. I just do. Whether as friends or a couple (we know James likes and is good with kids) I think that if they wanted to put James in a romantic relationship, this would have been a better choice. Sam’s a new character and it would have been a much cleaner start since there’s no baggage between them. And James is a good, stable guy. He’d be there for both Sam and Ruby.
- And I do want James to have an actual storyline that isn’t just about romance. James helping Sam run CatCo but having more time to return to photography, getting over his unfair opinion of Lena, and connecting with Sam in a platonic or romantic way seems to be a good start, at the very least.
Lena being at L Corp means that Kara doesn’t have to lie to her as much. It’s amusing when it happens every so often but becomes decidedly less so when Kara just has to run out at work and Lena notices or other people have to lie on Kara’s behalf because Lena’s at CatCo and can’t find Kara. If Lena’s at L Corp, Kara doesn’t have to make up excuses about why she’s not at her day job.
The Morgan Edge storyline could continue as planned because Lena would still have bought CatCo.
We could still get cute scenes of Lena at CatCo because of course she would check in to see how things are doing.
We would get Lena back in her office!!! Do you know how much I miss seeing Lena in her office?
Supergirl landing on the balcony to talk/flirt with her?
I just miss all the supercorp office scenes. They are so pure.
TLDR: It just makes more sense for Lena to be at L Corp and to put Sam at CatCo instead because everyone’s characterization would have been better, Kara and Sam would actually have scenes together, and it’s so much easier for Supercorp to bang in Lena’s office when Lena’s actually in her office.