So, as promised, here’s my list of lesbian movies for all of our lovely followers and the people you want to share it with. I hope I haven’t forgotten any good ones, but if you feel like that is the case, feel free to add movies to the list!
This is my gift for all of you, I hope you’ll like it ♥
/ Mod W
Tipping the Velvet
- based on the book by sarah waters (she has written many lesbian books!)
- it’s a bbc adapatation
- technically a mini series but i like to see it as three hours of lesbian content heaven
- it’s about this girl who falls in love with an actress and she goes to see her at the theatre five billion times until the actress notices her (that’s just the first part, other things happen to the main so watch the rest for more lesbian content~)
- the main character (nan astley/king) is like… my fave. i love her.
- the book is very good too!!!
- honestly i have so much love for this movie/book i get all giddy just thinking of it
- lesbian gangster/mob movie do i need to say more???
- the main actresses are cute af (one of them is a butch lesbian!)
- it’s awesome and very cool
- (gonna trigger warn for use of lesbophobic slurs used by some characters/some lesbophobic violence)
Below Her Mouth
- meh plot with amazing sex scenes basically?
- a lot of sex scenes
- i mean it like half the movie is graphic sex so if ur uncomfortable with that you probably shouldn’t watch it lol
- all female cast
- willa from wynonna earp!
- also based on a book by sarah waters (called Fingersmith, there’s a bbc adaptation of it too which you should totally check out as well)
- good quality movie right there
- (putting a trigger warning here for sexual and psychological abuse and abuse in general)
- one of few good swedish movies
- basically about two step-sisters who fall in love (they’re not actually related i promise)
But I’m a Cheerleader
- baby natasha lyonne is in this one! also i have a crush on clea duvall in this movie lol
- a very cute love story tbh
- good aesthetic
- you’ve probably heard of it before but idc cause it’s great
- (it’s like a satire of conversion therapy so if that’s something you can’t watch i don’t recommend this movie for you in particular)
If These Walls Could Talk 2
- a bunch of famous actresses (like chloë sevigny, michelle williams, natasha lyonne, ellen degeneres, etc. etc.)
- divided in three segments from three different periods in time
- one segment is set during the feminist movement in the 70s and features chloë sevigny as a butch lesbian with a motorcycle do i even need to say more??
Anatomy of a Love Seen
- this is about two actresses who were a couple when they shot a movie together and now they have to go back and re-shoot some love scenes but they’re not a couple anymore and it’s sad af
- i have basically never seen this movie in any rec lists but it’s actually one of my faves and i cry so much to this movie tbh
- this is a good one
- also pretty funny tbh!
- it’s about a doctor who falls in love with a dancer and the doctor’s relationship with her conservative mom
- it’s kind of rom-comish
Lost and Delirious
- warning: very sad like super sad?
- it’s about a girl who goes to a boarding school and so happens to become roommates with a lesbian couple
- teen angst squared and multiplied with gay panic
The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls In Love
- you may have heard of this one but if you haven’t it’s time you watch it
- that woman who plays tina on the l word is a butch-ish girl in this one
- VERY CUTE and chill
- every time i watch this it feels like this movie is the director’s BABY like it seems like she cares about this story so much and it makes the movie feel so genuine and lovely
- i want every baby lesbian to watch this, please, it’s my gift to you.
- you may have heard of this one too but if you haven’t seen it yet it’s definitely worth a watch!
- lesbian spies!
- the heroine falls in love with the villain (that enemies to lovers trope tho!!)
- old but good!
- i feel like this movie is on most of these long rec lists but people probably don’t watch it cause it’s old but it is actually pretty good!
- your classic “oops i thought i was straight but that woman is hot” story
Margarita With a Straw
- indian girl figures out she’s bi when she goes to uni in new york and meets a lesbian girl
- cute, funny, sad, it has everything tbh
- The Hours (actually one of my all-time favorite movies/books!)
- The Intervention
- The Kids Are All Right
- The Children’s Hour
- Elena Undone
- Fucking Åmål