what are your thoughts about Rainbow Quartz?
Rainbow Quartz? Here’s a bunch off the top of my head.
- Truly, truly outrageous. Truly. I love her.
- The baddest fucking rainbow I’ve ever seen
- Moving beyond vintage memes, she actually holds second place in Oath’s Official Favourite Fusions Ranking (The Lovely Sardonyx is an unbeatable number one and Alexandrite is third, though I predict there might be some upset there if/when we see Garnet fuse with Rose (PLEASE))
- I love her design but I’m a bit sad that she doesn’t have four arms… I mean…. imagine… Pearl’s dual-wielding + Rose’s sword and board style… woah. I’d give up on conquering Earth, too.
- More battle-related thoughts: I actually hope she doesn’t fuse her weapons and instead fights with some kind of hoplite-like spear+shield combo. If she does, I’ve seen people give her a giant axe and I am in full support of this, too.
- My headcanon is that she was first formed relatively soon after Garnet. If nothing else, Rose’s trademark curiosity and thirst for new experiences and clear desire to know what it feels like would be a big driving force behind PEARL CAN WE TRY IT TOO, but honestly I just know they were both thinking it the moment Garnet tumbled down that flowery slope and landed at their feet (though how long they danced around the matter in an attempt to be considerate and tactful is another question entirely). And yes, I have no doubt different-Gem fusion proved to be a huge advantage for the Crystal Gems, but I think Rainbow was a whole lot of things before she was anything resembling a weapon, and this knowledge is something that’s important to her.
- I want to hear her speak
- I want her and Garnet to smooch
- I want her and Sugilite to smooch and also cause immense but glorious chaos (and also possibly start a hair/glam metal band)
- I hope she has something like Rose’s plant-related powers, similar to how Garnet got a version of Sapphire’s future vision. Alternatively, she’s a full-on sandbender.
- Rose basically using fusion to convince Pearl of her worth/make her feel
loved/comfort her is a thing that’s reasonably prevalent in fics and I
love it, but I can’t help but feel it might mess with Rainbow herself a
bit, as much as she adores being herself.
- It is a great dream of mine to one day see rebellion-era Rainbow wrecking Diamond armies with the same levels of smugness she displayed in Greg’s music video, but with extra FUCK YOUUUUU sprinkled on top. While I think she’s generally a lot “nicer” than people tend to peg her as after We Need To Talk, I really do think spite (that most excellent of motivators) is a huge part of her, and in a Rebellion Leader/Terrifying Renegade context it’d be great to see. Plus, as we’ve seen in The Answer, these two have so much fun being filthy rebel scum together. Rainbow is an absolute blast.