Alex being the one who hit Bethany That Night and it was her who Spencer saw. Spencer just assumed she was the one who did this because at this point it was the only reasonable explanation.
Alex being caught on NAT videos. That’s how they found out about her existence. That’s the reason why Melissa was acting so strange, why she was protecting Spencer from “before it even started” and why Ian and Garrett had to die.
It could have been what Maya knew.
Ian knowing about Alex and thinking it was actually her when he wanted to push Spencer off the Bell Tower.
Alex hiding in that creepy, haunted house and watching the girls.
Alex hiding in Jenna’s garage and getting hurt in the fire. Maybe not her face but her body so she still could impersonate Spencer.
Alex being the one we saw in the flashback from before Ali went missing that Spencer doesn’t remember.
Alex stealing the game from Mona because at this point she not only hated Spencer but all of them.
Mona asking Spencer to join A Team not only because Spencer was so smart. Mona noticed there were times when Spencer acted shady. She just didn’t know it was her twin.
Alex switching places with Spencer from the beginning.
Alex making Toby join the A Team and fake his death so she could mess up with Spencer’s head and send her to Radley.
All the British words or references during the show.
How A knew so many things about the girls and nobody never saw them.
Alex being Black Veil and that’s the reason why she needed to hide her face.
Alex dressing up as the masked man in the dollhouse and that’s why Spencer had a feeling she actually knew that person.
Seriously, the list could go on.
It’s all there. They could have used all of this and made it look like it was all planned even if it wasn’t. I’m not saying it would have tied up all the loose ends but it would make much more sense.
But could you imagine how iconic the series ending would be if this was the last scene:
The girls are all together to say goodbye to Aria who is about to go on a three week honeymoon with Ezra.
Aria: “guys I’m leaving for three weeks, why is everybody crying?”
All the girls laugh and let out another sob at those words.
Alison looks at her best friends one by one and says, “I guess it feels like it’s the end of something.”
Everyone grabs onto eachother even tighter and nods while fighting back more tears.
Spencer takes a deep breath and speaks up through everyones sobbing, “Even if it really is the end of something, our story will live on in our hearts.” She looks up and smiles at Aria who almost wishes she didn’t have to go on a honeymoon.
“Yeah, well our story will probably also live on in this godforsaking town too for a long time,” Hanna says with her infamous hint of sarcasm in her voice. The girls all laugh at this and look at eachother again once more.
Emily lets her head rest on Alisons’ shoulder as Alison looks at Hanna and then to Spencer. She can’t help but put on her bold smile she was most known for when she was younger, and as she takes a deep breath she says,
“That’s immortality, my darlings.”
1. What was the point of the puzzle pieces of the puzzle image meant nothing?
2. How was that not related to Archer or Bethany Young’s drawings?
3. Speaking of which, how is Bethany not more relevant to this?
4. If Bethany isn’t relevant then what does this picture that Marlene posted from the finale mean? Is she just a bad speller?
5. Why impregnate Ali with Emily’s eggs? What was the point of that?
6. Why was a Melissa mask necessary?
7. What was the point of holding Ezra captive?
8. Why did A.D. favor Aria so much and pull her to the dark side?
9. Also Alex climbed in bed next to Aria and said she would love her the most. Why did she have such a soft spot for Aria?
10. If Wren broke out Mona from Welby, then when was he killed? Didn’t we just see him at the airport?
11. Why did Alex kill him?
12. Was Melissa ever even in this episode or was that Mona? If not, where is she?
13. What the point of this picture of a burned person? I liked the fan theory better than the actual ending in which Bethany was burned during the Jenna Thing and that gave her more motive.
14. What was the purpose of Ali and Bethany being pen pals?
15. What purpose did Sara Harvey serve and why make her both Red Coat and Black Widow?
16. What was the point of Bethany’s drawings?
17. What was the relevance of the Carissimi group again? Wasn’t Jason involved somehow?
18. And how did Jenna and Noel become involved? That was briefly explained but still unclear to me.
19. Why were Alex and Mary Drake both at the blind school in 7x10 but they were playing for opposing sides? Who shot Spencer?
20. At what point did Wren and Melissa break up and he met Alex? The timeline seems off.
21. What was the point of Lucas’ comic book? Why was this never mentioned again?
22. What was Ian filming? Who was beach hottie? What was the point of NAT club?
23. Why did Jessica DiLaurentis tell Bethany to call her aunt?
24. Why would CeCe dress as Charles in the dollhouse if she’s transgender now?
25. How did Cece and Sara Harvey meet?
26. Who killed Sara Harvey? Noel?
27. What’s the significance of all the pie references? And pretty eyes?
28. In a flashback a few seasons ago, Ali comes into Spencer’s house with a bloodied lip and tries to hide it. Who did that to her?
29. What was the purpose of Sydney? How did she and Alex meet?
30. Why were so many people wearing yellow tops that night?
31. Who did Spencer hear scream back in the pilot episode?
32. Why is the number 214 constantly brought up? It was several hotel numbers, it was the locker number that Aria used, it’s been seen several times over the course of all the seasons.
33. How did Alex create this board game? How was she everywhere at once?
34. Why doesn’t she have more motive against Mary Drake who sold her when she was a baby?
35. Back a few seasons ago, there was a scene where they police had suspects written on a chalkboard. Why was “Dr” Wren in quotations? Is he really a doctor?
36. Why did Bethany have Melissa’s riding helmet?
37. Why did Eddie Lamb recognize Aria in Radley?
38. Was Spaleb real or was that Alex?
39. Did Alex kill Yvonne?
40. Who built the dollhouse?
41. Why was Noel helping with the dollhouse?
42. What was the point of all the Alison masks?
43. What did Maya know?
44. What is the exact timeline of the night Ali “died”?
45. What was the relevance of Melissa’s suitcase handle if that wasn’t a murder weapon?
46. What was the point of Garrett?
47. Who did Noel push down the stairs at that party and why?
48. Who put the blood in Spencer’s bag during her interview at Oxford?
49. Why were Shana and Jenna afraid of Melissa?
50. Who sent Toby the text about his mom?
51. Who drove a car into Emily’s house?
52. Why was Wren seen coloring a picture of a woman in a red coat?
53. Why would Elliot hold such a grudge against Ali if he knew all along Ali didn’t kill CeCe and that she was trying to help her?
54. Also, doesn’t my theory that Elliot is really Wren make more sense since he stole someone’s identity any way?
55. Did Elliot and Wren know each other before meeting Charlotte and Alex?
56. What happened to Marco Fury?
57. What was the significance of the apple farm where Charles supposedly had a connection to Andrew?
58. Who was Leslie Stone? What was her purpose and why did she have multiple pairs of glasses?
59. Who knows about Twincer? Do Peter and Veronica know? Does Melissa know?
60. How did Jenna regain her vision and then lose it again?
61. Why was Spencer shot if Alex didn’t intend to kill her?
62. How did they catch Aria on that New Hampshire traffic cam?
63. What did Melissa whisper to Peter when they were being questioned at the police station?
64. Did we ever find out why Bethany killed Toby’s mom?
65. Who was Varjack?
66. What was with all the literary references?
67. When did Charlotte visit an Amish farm with Archer when she was in Radley? What was the timeline of when she got out of Radley?
68. What happened to the Alison bracelet? Wasn’t Bethany wearing it when she died? Why?
69. Why exactly was Pastor Ted brought back to be Charlotte’s dad? Why didn’t he play a larger role in the earlier seasons?
70. Was the cop in the finale really Mona’s boyfriend in Paris and that’s why she was able to keep them as dolls?
71. Also how was Toby’s mom in the flashback with him and Ali when they were teenagers if she was killed when Charlotte was a kid and Charlotte is older than Toby? PLOT HOLE
72. What does this mean?
73. What was Paige’s role in this?
74. What’s with all the piano playing?
75. How were the Emison twins blue eyed and blonde hair when Emily and Wren are the parents?
76. Will Emison ever know who their baby daddy is?
77. What did the anagram or whatever “Miss Aria you’re a killer and not Ezra’s wife mean”?
78. What happened in Cape May?
79. What happened to Tippi the bird?
80. How did they make a mold of Wilden’s face if Wilden has been dead for a while now?
The entire writers’ room thought a lot about this and part of it was actors’ availability. When you don’t own certain actors and they’re not series regulars, you never know if they’re going to be available to you. There were times when I loved the idea of Wren being A.D., Melissa being A.D., a combination of those two, but ultimately we never knew if we were going to get those people in these last 10 episodes and that sort of started discussion that A.D. really needs to be someone who’s a series regular and fans were always wanting it to be one of the girls … which makes no sense to me because they really would be torturing themselves — the mythology would never work. So that’s when we thought, well we love twins on this show and making it a twin of a PLL is sort of having your cake and getting to eat it too, so it’s almost a “pretty little liar.
Marlene on choosing A.D. (AKA WE could have had WREN/ MELISSA AS A.D! OMFG.)