little ways to help you feel happier :
1. eat healthier foods and try to drink lots of water. i’m trying to eat enough to keep my body going all through the day. it’s okay if you feel uncomfortable eating a large amount or unhealthy foods, just break it into smaller portions of nutritional things that give you energy and help your recovery.
2. keep your room as light and tidy as possible. in the winter it can get really gloomy and oppressive so it’s important to let light in and not stay in the darkness. i try and make sure my room is really tidy because honestly it helps my anxiety a lot and makes me feel more in control.
3. if you feel uncomfortable doing something, or if it is making you feel bad, don’t do it !!!! it could be as simple as sleeping with your door open or as complex as talking to someone you love, if it isn’t helping you, just don’t do it. it’s not worth it, and chances are if it’s a big thing and it affects other people they will understand and give you space.
4. try and get up and shower and get ready for the day every day !! it’s okay to have days where you feel so down you don’t want to do anything but on most days try and make sure you aren’t letting your depression keep you tied down.
5. talk to your friends and spend time with them !! honestly they care about you lots and lots and you may find venting to them or telling them some of your problems helps you out a lot. it can be really good to let your friends know a basic outline of what you’re struggling with at the moment, and things they can do to help make it easier. meet with them, invite them round, just spend time with them because they love you and you don’t realise how lucky you are to have them.
6. learn to love yourself. it’s really difficult to do and i still struggle with body image, but try to see the beauty in your body and accept your flaws. buy yourself nice underwear and body glitter and things because you’re beautiful and the sooner you realise that the better things will be.
7. put your feelings out there. don’t keep your bad thoughts in your head whatever you do because they cause more trouble than they’re worth. i like to write and also paint, but other people have different ways of putting out their feelings and i know some things don’t work for everyone.
8. just try and feel hopeful that you will be okay. it’s really tough and some days you feel like you’re back on square one but honestly it will all be worth the pain once you feel happier and more in control of things. you will only start to feel happier if you believe you can, and if you constantly think you are never going to be okay, you probably won’t. i’m not saying you can just do it, but your attitude and mood towards recovery affects it a lot.
9. it’s 100% okay to ask for help. whoever and whatever makes you feel a bit better is completely okay and counselling or medication are options that can save lives. it can be hard to get help and i get that, but it’s so worth it. seeing someone even once a month can help you feel less alone and speaking to someone who has good strategies and ways to help you can really make a difference.
10. your feelings are 100% valid. never think you “aren’t sick enough” for something, and if you feel like you can’t face something because of mental health, don’t push too hard. at the same time, don’t act like you’re okay if you’re not. it won’t help you, you can’t trick yourself into thinking you’re okay if you aren’t. accept how you’re feeling and think about how you can change that. remember every time you feel a little bit better it matters! it means something !
getting better is something that takes a long time and it is one of the hardest things you will have to do. some days you will feel like you’ll be stuck like this forever, and other days you will feel like you’re completely okay. it’s important to remember that even when you’re better, there will still be tough days, there will still be triggers, there will still be things you have to face, but that doesn’t make you weak or your happiness any less valid. everyone has bad days and good days, and i promise you one day there will be so many happy days ✨✨ xx