- The Black Lives Matter Global Network is giving Facebook’s “safety check” feature a twist, allowing black users of the social media website to mark themselves “unsafe” for being black in America.
- BLM activists are calling it the “Unsafety Check” and shared its website, MarkYourselfUnsafe.com, ahead of its official launch on Tuesday.
- “From slavery to Jim Crow to prejudicial and deadly policing, America has never been a safe place for black people,” BLM co-founder Patrisse Cullors said in a statement.
- “We need to take action to continue to raise awareness about how racism impacts our families and communities.”
- The feature is meant to be symbolic and is not meant to be a replacement for reporting an emergency to local authorities, BLM said. Read more