Ahh, okay, Lily Evans is sort of my Elia Martell of the Harry Potter books, basically.
- How I feel about this character: Essentially, she isn’t a character. She’s reduced to a symbolic emblem of motherhood and JKR’s ideal of a ~good~ woman. Personally, I don’t think she’s articulated for herself in the entirety of the series; I know people like to point at the Prince’s Tale, but A) it’s still all about Snape; it’s Snape’s memories of Lily, Lily’s articulated through Snape, and Lily’s sole function is to be a morality meter for Snape, and B) it’s still all rather bland? Like, it’s JKR’s standard tropes of ~kindness~ and ~bravery~ and ~loyalty~, and I just wanted more? Like, we see the pedestal Harry placed James on broken in OOTP - we never see that done with Lily. I want to know the real girl, the flawed kid that was thrown into a fairytale and it turned out to be a nightmare, who had to fight for her right to live in a world during a war that was all about her own blood. That twists people, and I want to know what that did to Lily.
- All the people I ship romantically with this character: James, if done correctly? Like, I think there’s the potential there for all this discussion of class differences and privilege and maybe an analogy with privilege in our world, and if it was done like that, I’d so dig it. I do not dig it as ~Lily changed James with her incredibly maturity and kindness~
- My non-romantic OTP for this character: Her interactions with Snape, prior to their fallout, and their friendship growing more strained throughout the years could be interesting, in my opinion. However, what I really want is Lily’s relationships with her female friends. I always found it really irritating how James’s friends got to play a role and articulate James for his own sake, and Lily’s friends got like, one line of page time. I think we learned Mary MacDonald’s name and that was about it? Also - Lily and Petunia’s relationship is like so vital for the backstory of the series.
- My unpopular opinion about this character: She’s not a character, but she deserves her own fucking story. She wasn’t all sunshine and roses; she was a hard warrior. (Also, Karen Gillan doesn’t really look like how I picture Lily. Rose Leslie looks like Lily to me, or Sophie Turner, in a couple of years.)
- One thing I wish would happen / had happened with this character in canon: EVERYTHING. that we knew more than the colour of her eyes. that we knew about the prejudices she faced. that we knew her friends and her relationship with her parents and PETUNIA. I wanted her relationship with Tuney, goddammit. that she got to be more than a beautiful symbol and had an effect on Harry’s life through her own agency.