It’s my lunch so forgive the fast formatting but here we go:
1. Jack’s reason for enlisting is now confirmed to be the Omnic Crisis. Which changes a number of things. In his original backstory, Jack “wanted to return to the family farm after a brief stint in the Army, but was swept up in SEP, where he met Reyes.” But now that that’s gone, this makes Jack more “worldly” and more “motivated to fight for change” in the world. “New” Jack is much bigger, much more global than “original” Jack was. His sights are not set on returning to Indiana - his sights are set on saving humanity.
2. Genji was not in Blackwatch as far as I am aware. What is interesting is that this proves that not all Blackwatch missions were undertaken alone, since Overwatch would have also been involved in his rescue (when know Angela was on-hand or close by). Blackwatch and Overwatch also engage in joint training sessions. We can see that even though Lena is the main focus of the training, someone is monitoring Genji’s systems in the background. This effectively CONFIRMS that - at the very least - Jack Morrison was aware of SOME of the Blackwatch missions.
This also heavily implies that - coupled with the “complaints by the Japanese government about Blackwatch” - Blackwatch was involved in the fall of the Shimada clan.
3. Liao is either entirely scrapped or has been reworked. I personally think it’s the former. They haven’t been mentioned in any comic thus far, and Torb and Rein consider “the old team” to consist of the Strike Team plus Angela.
4. I’m feeling fairly convinced that the promotion angle is getting massively reworked or toned down. Gabriel’s light banter and sass over Jack’s statues, the lack of voicelines around the promotion, the fact that it is LITERALLY never mentioned anywhere outside of the “original” article makes it fairly clear that - at least on the surface - nobody thinks Gabriel is mad about it. Gabriel himself acts nonchalant about the differences in their ranks.
5. Lena’s new timeline is VERY SHORT. Her time as an active agent would have been relegated to the last year of Overwatch’s existence (Present time = 6 years since Fall of Overwatch, Comic takes place “7 years ago”). This means that propaganda/promotional posters like the one in the Hero animation PROBABLY DON’T EXIST. Which is like. Really subtle next level retconning.
1. “They’re not extremists, Gabriel - they’re TERRORISTS.” How relevant. I’m convinced Gabriel and subsequently Reaper are now firmly in the Chaotic Gool-Neutral-Evil alignment. His whole speech about Omnic Rights is FASCINATING for his character because it shows that he is actually sympathetic or understanding of their behaviors on a different level than Reaper previously implied (“Tin cans, a dime a dozen”). This is VERY GOOD. His subtle implication that humanity - specifically the UK - has forgotten the origins of rights and freedoms is MASSIVE for him, and reflecting on that through a “minority being abused and denied rights” (a minority he ACTIVELY FOUGHT AND DEFEATED) is HUGE. This really pushes the theories of Reaper as a “Chaotic Good-Neutral” agent much further, especially if we consider that he may see Talon less as terrorists and more as “extreme anarchists.” This really greatly aligns with Sombra’s whole mortality alignment and Los Muertos’ “ideals.” Gabriel is 100% aware (and self-aware) of the issues.
2. Gabriel almost certainly does not want Blackwatch directly involved in this uprising. His crew is already in hot water, and he has to think about the safety of his agents and their plausible deniability in the face of a UN investigation. Gabriel’s lines about McCree “being on vacation” and “nothing you need to know” reads as him trying to defend McCree in the event something goes awry with the higher ups, while also giving Jack and Ana the ability to deny information as well. This, unfortunately, PUTS A MASSIVE TARGET ON HIM AND HIM ALONE. Gabriel being blamed or implied to be responsible for the fall of Overwatch by other people (namely higher ups) looks more and more realistic and possible.
3. Jack and Gabriel’s relationship (along with their friendship with Ana) is indicated as being deeper and extremely intimate. Things to note: Jack now being the only character to call him “Gabe” (which Sombra references), Jack being able to pull information out of Gabriel even after Gabriel and Ana engaged in some sassy banter, Jack referring to him as “Commander Reyes” in his discussion with Lena, Jack using the picture of the three of them to remind himself of “what’s important.” I’m not gonna say this is confirmation of a full on relationship between them, but they are absolutely close. This, combined with Reaper’s “I know your every move before you even think it” line from Old Soldiers and Reaper calling him “Jack” even after the fallout, is extremely telling. This is not an ordinary relationship between “coworkers.”
4. Jack listening patiently and calmly to Lena’s speech, being reminded of himself and his passions for defending and helping others…is very good. Very good for his character. A little less revolutionary than Gabriel’s speech about Omnics, but good and grounding nonetheless. This also helps humanize his whole “you need to slow down/okay dad” lines with Tracer in the game as more cute and familial than before.
5. The new timeline is BONKERS. HOLY SHIT. So things have started to break down - there’s investigations and complaints against Blackwatch, and growing criticisms against Overwatch. Other people have speculated that Gerárd has recently died based on the news headlines, but what this means is that the collapse of Overwatch happened FAST: within at least a year, Lena has her temporal problems, McCree leaves, Genji leaves, Ana “dies,” Gabriel and Jack have their “falling out,” etc. A YEAR. That’s ridiculously fast for an organization that’s been around for nearly three decades. This certainly implies that the conspiracy that brought Overwatch down was FAST and THOROUGH. Sowing the seeds of discontent quickly and efficiently, almost certainly breaking up the “joint-relationship” between Overwatch and Blackwatch within months. That’s insane.
6. My friend Sami pointed out that Jack’s office is simple and small - not ostentatious or large. He literally has nothing but a desk, a massive monitor, and some shelves in there.
7. Jack being willing to step out of line for “the greater good” makes him complicit in ignoring “orders” or breaking “the law.” This sets up a great parallel between him and Reaper, and other characters like Lúcio, the Junkers, Mei, McCree, and Winston. And we know that the “higher ups” spun this “overstepping his bounds” as forcing Overwatch as a policing agency onto the world. Soldier: 76/Jack not being “respected” for his hard-but-morally-correct decisions lends itself well to his jaded, bitter manner later in life.
i can’t believe my favorite show is over. it was such a beautiful and fitting ending and im crying tears of happinesss and sadness. cam and arastoo are adopting, hodgins and angela are writing a children’s book, hodgins is King of the Lab (this was so cute im sobbing), zack (omg that christmas photo of him and hodgins made me squeal, it’s one of my favorites), vincent nigel murray, and sweets (he knew (right from the beginning)) were all mentioned, so many memories were mentioned, and we ended the show with brennan and booth, the two people who began the whole thing. the most beautiful thing was the meaning of 4:47 finally being revealed at the end. it’s not the end to anything, it’s the beginning. there may not be anymore new episodes, but bones is not over, it will always be alive with us.