Fanfic Comment Guide
#clexaweek2017 is coming up and this will be one of my contributions for the week since I’m not much of a creative type. I’ve never written any fanfiction, so all of this is coming from a reader’s perspective.
Why should I leave comments?
- Literally costs nothing to leave a comment
- Shows your appreciation
- Makes writers really, really happy
How should I leave a comment?
- Tell them how much you liked certain lines/the chapter/the entire fic
- Only leave criticism that is CONSTRUCTIVE and RESPECTFUL
- Comments can be short (although longer the better)
Examples of bad comments
- This sucks! :(
- UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
- I know that you aren’t getting paid to write and I know that you posted this chapter less than 24 hours ago and I know that you’re a fan just like me….. but where’s the update???
Examples of better comments
- asldkfjalsdfj !!!!! :D <3 <3 <3
- This was so good! Great job!
- My favorite part was when ______
- I love how you write _____ because that’s exactly how I imagined them to be. They are so brave and smart. I don’t know if I wanna be them or be with them, y’know??? Anyways, I love this fic a lot and I want it engraved on my tombstone. Can’t wait for the next chapter!!!!! K byeeeee~
What you can focus on
- Characters and original characters
- Do you think their dialogue is well-written or funny?
- Do you wish your faves would make out soon?
- Is the author exploring something you are really interested in?
- Are they being exceptionally creative?
- Style and tone
- What’s been particularly beautiful to you?
- What has resonated with you the most?
- Are you surprised by that twist?
- Did you just die because of that cliffhanger?
Things that I do (that you can do too)
- As I go through a chapter on my phone, I switch to my notes app and copy and paste all the lines I like and write down my thoughts before I forget what I want to say
- Sometimes I’m simply too tired to process what I just read, so I mark the fic to read for later and leave a comment the next day
Things to remember
- Fanfic writers are real human beings who have lives outside of writing and they go to school, have jobs, spend time with family & friends, etc.
- (To reiterate, fanfic writers don’t exist to serve you!!!)
- Fanfic writers have feelings and can be easily discouraged by a lack of response or negativity
- (Absolutely call out writers on their racist/sexist/transphobic/ableist/etc. bullshit, but don’t tear anyone down just because you disagree with their headcanon or something)
Leaving kudos and subscribing is great and all, but comments are like little gems and they can be so valuable for writers (and for other readers too).
I know how difficult it is to leave thoughtful comments or use your last bits of brain power to say something coherent before you go to bed (that’s usually when I read). But I think it’s super important to give back to all the talented and hardworking writers out there.
No one will know how you truly feel about something unless you speak up!