If you are like me and don’t like talking on the phone, here’s a really easy way to get a message to your members of Congress! It’s called ResistBot. Text ‘Resist’ to 50409 and follow the instructions. It’s really simple, and quick! I did it in about 10 minutes, but it could take 5 for some people. I sent a fax to each of my Senators, and tomorrow ResistBot is going to text me a reminder to send a fax to my Representatives!
New replies to anon hate that you obviously can’t educate:
• shut up Helen
• you really care about this blog enough to end me anon hate
•how long did this take to write? 5? 10 minutes?
• I am (insert current action right now), I don’t care
• I just (insert recent accomplishment), I really don’t care
• how do you expect me to listen to you if you will ignore everything i say.
• (if the ask is why do you hate ddlg) Did you even look at my blog or did you just look at my URL and clicked on the ask
• (for me only because omg this is good(if it is anon hate)) looks like someone didn’t read my most popular post
•(if it is from a terf) shut up Hylyn. (For those who don’t get it, it is making fun of terfs who use Womyn.)
in this nice Halloween night, I bring you THE POWER RANGERS AU!
au in which Keith is the actor for the red power ranger and he meets Lance because lance’s little brother is a huge fan and won a contest to go meet the actors and shit and Lance went to take care of his brother and this wasn’t an au 10 minutes ago just a stupid drawing of Keith as the red power ranger what happened
(Background: The DM for this wanted us to bring our best Pathfinder characters for this campaign. The party consisted of a kitsune fighter, an orc unchained rogue, a kobold celestial-bloodline sorcerer, a tiefling life-mystery oracle, and my half-elf monk. After fighting our way up out of a dungeon we’d been trapped in — and pretty well depleting our resources in the process — the DM wants his wizard character, the recurring villain of the campaign, to mock us before we actually escape. He does so from the other side of a fifty-foot-wide chasm with no visible bottom.)
Villain: [Standard hammy villain monologue with over-the-top gloating and taunting]
Kitsune: [Orc], will you shoot him to at least get him to shut up?
Orc: Can’t. Out of ammo.
Kobold: Hey, don’t look at me, guys, all I’ve got left are cantrips.
Tiefling: I can barely even see the other side.
Kitsune: Grr. I don’t wanna have to listen to this guy. Does anyone have a ranged attack that can at least get his attention?
Me: Not exactly, but… How wide is that chasm, again?
Tiefling: *Snickers, knowing my monk from another campaign.* Uh-oh…
DM: Uh, fifty feet.
Me: Okay, I spend my last point of ki for the bonus to jump and leap across. This should be a surprise round, right?
DM: (after nearly choking on drink) Um. Okay, yeah, DC 50; I hope you have another character ready. Roll acrobatics.
Me: Don’t need to, the lowest I can roll is a 66 after the point of ki.
DM: (almost spittakes, with the rest of the party either snickering or stunned to silence) Seriously!?
Me: *Presents character sheet.*
DM: *Takes a few minutes to verify the ludicrous number of bonuses.* …Oh goddammit. Yeah, I guess this is happening, roll to attack.
Me: Stunning Fist, get ready for his fort save. *Rolls 17 on the die.* Uh…
DM: (before I can math up bonuses) I hate you. *Rolls a 4 on the fort save.* So. Much. So yeah, he’s in mid-monologue and you launch yourself across a goddamn bottomless chasm and punch the squishy wizard in the face. Roll damage.
Party: *Laughing hysterically!*
Tiefling: Falcon Puuunch!
(Cue the entire table, including the poor DM, completely losing it for the next few minutes. I proceeded to flurry of blows the Big Bad’s right hand man into an unrecognizable pulp over the next two rounds while the party cheered me on. I looted the body, threw him into the chasm, and then could just “take 10” to jump back across. It was my only session in that campaign, unfortunately, but I’m told it took a few weeks for the DM to work out how to get around the damage I did to his plot. I understand he now takes excessive precautions before letting his villains run off at the mouth, since a DC 50 acrobatics check is apparently not enough. This isn’t the first campaign that particular monk has mangled the plot of, either, but it is the most spectacular instance, and the only time she almost wrecked a campaign during its first session.)
I was in the process of joining the military, simply waiting for the date to enter service. “It would take at least a month, but no more than a year.” Apartment lease had expired, no month-to-month payment option. Looking for some short-term housing. I was single, worked 2 part time jobs, & had cash in savings. I’m quiet, flexible, simple needs. Just needed the simplest of accommodations. I went to Craig’s List.
Met with a woman who advertised a room for rent. We’ll call her “Jill”. Jill was 20something, single, and came from a wealthy family who bought her this small 3 bedroom house, gave her a nice car, paid her bills. Jill didn’t like to work, she just “sold her art”. She made awful graphic art fan fiction on her PC, probably never sold anything but was completely obsessed with her own work and would talk about it constantly. Jill had pets. So. Many. Pets. Like 20 cats, 4 dogs, a room of birds out of their cages, and several acquariums. A bit weird/slightly skewed version of reality, but seemed nice, had a room available and price was okay. I would pay a flat rate for rent and utilities, provide my own food, and come and go as I please. Neither of us ever signed anything, just details via text and email.
She benefited from my moving in as I had transferred my cable internet connection to her house. Got the modem hooked up and used my own wireless router and let her use it for free. I also have carpentry experience so I helper her repair some door frames and some wood trim in addition to patching up some drywall. Helped her out a lot, all while requesting nothing in return. The first week was nice.
Things fell apart rapidly after that. She became manipulative, started making financial demands. The electric bill was high, I needed to pay “my part”. She had bought enough groceries for both of us without informing me, but now that milk had soured and bread molded I needed to pay for “wasted groceries”. Old busted up door knob on the side of the house broke off while taking out trash, so I needed to buy a new one. Etc…
Individually these didn’t bother me much, but there was a pattern. After just weeks, living expenses had tripled the agreed upon amount. I told her that this couldn’t happen anymore. I would pay the agreed upon amount and buy my own food. Period. This settled things…for a week.
Got back from work. In my room my guitar was gone, and in its place, a bill. A bill from a plumber who had installed a toilet. “My bathroom” needed some work done. Jill had “lost all trust” that I would fulfill “financial obligations” after I “freaked out about money before.” My guitar was hostage, locked in her bedroom until I paid for her toilet upgrade. She literally added a padlock to her bedroom door.
Time to get out. I told her I was moving out the next day (a friend already offered me his guest-room). She could keep the guitar (it was a $100 pawn shop guitar). I wasn’t going to pay to fix her house anymore.
Upon packing things came the modem discussion. She was taking an online class since she now had an internet connection. She would get her own connection “in a few days”. I was angry with her but not yet vengeful. I agreed to let her use it until my connection got transferred.
A week later, called Jill the day before the cable transfer. She said she would drop off the equipment, oddly, only while I was at work. I texted a reminder, “please don’t forget to drop off modem”, and she responded, “left it in a bag outside your front door”. Weird, but whatever. I get home that night. No bag. No modem. I text, “did you leave it at the right house? can’t find it”, she responds, “yes”.
Cable got installed, still no modem. It’ll cost me if I don’t turn in the old one. Now I’m vengeful. She’s extorted money, I’ve been nothing but helpful and considerate, she’s stolen my things, now she’s probably lying and stealing more things - which will cost even more money.
Jill took a pottery class on Thursdays, out of the house for 2 hours. Her front door had a combination keypad for entry instead of keys. She claimed she would change the combo when I left, but probably didn’t know how to do that. Waited until after the time she left. Drove past. No one home. Parked a block away, walked to front door, entered the code. Still works. Straight to her bedroom. Not padlocked anymore. Look, there’s my router and modem, right where they shouldn’t be because they’re in a bag outside my friend’s place. Weird. Grab my modem & router, grab my guitar, insert a spare old burned admin copy of Win'98 into her cdrom, boot to CD, set it to work formatting her hard drive. She can complete Win'98 installation later, complained about Vista anyway. Probably won’t be able to retrieve her “art” and homework.
Back in my car within 5 minutes, at my friend’s place 10 minutes later. Jill’s pottery class still had another hour. I texted, “finally found the modem, bag must’ve blown into the bushes! Thanks for dropping it off! :D” I love to imagine whatever flurry of emotions she must have experienced at that moment…
Called me in a frantic rage 30 minutes later. “YOU STOLE FROM ME!!!” “What?? Jill…What are you talking about?” “YOU BROKE INTO MY HOUSE AND STOLE FROM ME!!!” “Wait…someone broke into the house?? I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about that… What did they take?” Her remarkable psychological gymnast skills. Walks right up to the ledge of almost admitting that she lied to me and stole my things (after-all, such an admission was required for her version of events to make any sense at all) and then psychologically-backflips away. She couldn’t do it. Her story was not compatible with reality. All she could muster was rage and empty threats and that phone call was the last time I ever heard from her. Honestly, at that point the stuff and the money involved was worth less to me than the fact that she had so much rage but couldn’t do anything about it. It brought me a little joy. The strangest part is that she never mentioned her computer at all…
2) Rape, sexual assault, harassment, abuse, self-harm, suicide, bullying, depression, eating disorders, anxiety, etc… Those are to be taken very VERY seriously. It’s not something to joke about.
3) If you are racist/homophobic or close-minded like that, this isn’t a place you wanna be.
4) People here say that you must not EVER speak of tumblr outside of tumblr, and that specifically includes mentioning your url on facebook/twitter or connecting your tumblr to them. And you know what? They’re right. We come here because tumblr is that place where we can express ourselves the way we want, and in a way stay safely anonymous from our own life outside of tumblr. Here (whether by posts, reblogs or tags) we reveal more of our identities, thoughts, secrets, insecurities, moments of insanity etc… than we would ever reveal on other SNS. If you’re interested in revealing yourself so openly to your social circle of family and friends outside of tumblr, if you’re ready for it, then I won’t judge you. Go ahead.
5) There are real people behind their computers/phones on this site. Real people who can have their feelings hurt. People have enough shit to deal with in their lives so don’t be that anon hater/cyber bully and make things worse.
6) Tumblr loves animals.
7) Your “I’ll just check my dash for five minutes” will turn to five hours of scrolling and reblogging.
8) DON’T fuck with superwholock. They will come for you.
9) Supernatural has a gif for everything. Don’t even try to test them, there’s no point.
10) Gifs everywhere.
11) No one really knows how to pronounce ‘gif’
12) I like your shoelace.
13) DON’T try to take credit for something you did not do. Always give credit to the artist/photographer/blog if you repost but still, there’s a reblog option for a reason.
14) There are too many sides of tumblr to count.
15) Science side of tumblr can explain anything.
16) Fandom side of tumblr can hijack any post.
17) DO NOT INSULT SOMEONES SHIP.
18) No one spells Benedips Cumbercumber’s name right.
19) Harry Potter is a beloved.
20) Kpop fandom are in constant ‘too many feels’ mode and are always unable to can.
36 questions that can make two strangers fall in love
In Mandy Len Catron’s Modern Love essay, “To Fall in Love With Anyone, Do This,” she refers to a study by the psychologist Arthur Aron (and others) that explores whether intimacy between two strangers can be accelerated by having them ask each other a specific series of personal questions. The 36 questions in the study are broken up into three sets, with each set intended to be more probing than the previous one.
The idea is that mutual vulnerability fosters closeness. To quote the study’s authors, “One key pattern associated with the development of a close relationship among peers is sustained, escalating, reciprocal, personal self-disclosure.” Allowing oneself to be vulnerable with another person can be exceedingly difficult, so this exercise forces the issue.
The final task Ms. Catron and her friend try — staring into each other’s eyes for four minutes, with the suggested duration ranging from two minutes to four. But Ms. Catron was unequivocal in her recommendation. “Two minutes is just enough to be terrified,” she told me. “Four really goes somewhere.”
1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
3. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?
4. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?
6. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?
7. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?
8. Name three things you and your partner appear to have in common.
9. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
10. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
11. Take four minutes and tell your partner your life story in as much detail as possible.
12. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
13. If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future or anything else, what would you want to know?
14. Is there something that you’ve dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven’t you done it?
15. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
16. What do you value most in a friendship?
17. What is your most treasured memory?
18. What is your most terrible memory?
19. If you knew that in one year you would die suddenly, would you change anything about the way you are now living? Why?
20. What does friendship mean to you?
21. What roles do love and affection play in your life?
22. Alternate sharing something you consider a positive characteristic of your partner. Share a total of five items.
23. How close and warm is your family? Do you feel your childhood was happier than most other people’s?
24. How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?
25. Make three true “we” statements each. For instance, “We are both in this room feeling … “
26. Complete this sentence: “I wish I had someone with whom I could share …”
27. If you were going to become a close friend with your partner, please share what would be important for him or her to know.
28. Tell your partner what you like about them; be very honest this time, saying things that you might not say to someone you’ve just met.
29. Share with your partner an embarrassing moment in your life.
30. When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?
31. Tell your partner something that you like about them already.
32. What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?
33. If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? Why haven’t you told them yet?
34. Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire. After saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be? Why?
35. Of all the people in your family, whose death would you find most disturbing? Why?
36. Share a personal problem and ask your partner’s advice on how he or she might handle it. Also, ask your partner to reflect back to you how you seem to be feeling about the problem you have chosen.
The problem isn’t falling in love, it’s staying in love.
Hello, it’s #optomstudies here again with another Sunday Study Tip on catching up when you’ve fallen behind!
A masterful skill that not even the best studyblrs may have tackled. A lot of advice in the studyblr community regarding this seems a little airy-fairy (I almost question if they remember what they themselves went through), so hopefully my post will shine a different light on it (or so I hope anyway!)
1. Work out what’s essential and what isn’t. You’ve basically wasted time right to get to this point right? With limited time left, use an Eisenhower matrix of Important vs. Urgent to determine what you need to do left.
Important and Urgent - any and all due assessment tasks
Important but Not Urgent - studying lectures for exams, compulsory readings
Not Important but Urgent - additional homework tasks that need to be handed in but aren’t worth much, like logbooks
Not Important and Not Urgent - additional readings (although it’d be great if you did this, sorry, you’re out of time)
Then cross out everything that you can afford to not do. Ironically, I find that when I use the Eisenhower matrix when I am not strapped for time, studying (in the Important but Not Urgent category) usually gets the short end of the stick. But when I’m already falling behind, all the additional readings and homework tasks get thrown out the window and I just work on studying instead.
2. Do everything that will take you less than 10 minutes to complete. Get all those pesky emails out of the way, all the small team meeting notes, everything else you need to do for someone else. That will cross out a whole chunk of things from your list. You’ll be left with the meaty stuff like studying, completing assignments, etc.
3. It’s a little damn late for you to regularly revise, so just binge everything. Honestly, this is the best way to get everything done. Don’t switch tasks or subjects. You don’t want to spend about 20 minutes just getting into the flow before switching subjects once the hour’s up. Plus, since you’re already panicking, turn that fear and panic into motivation for you to really focus for long chunks of time - just think about what you do the day before a final exam - because the threat of the exam is imminent, you basically study the whole day right? Trust me, if you’ve really screwed up your study schedule, you won’t have to worry about common procrastination (assuming you don’t want to fail).
University is just one assignment done, moving onto the next before you even have time to breathe. It’s usually quite different to high school in that everything is quite closely packed together since it’s a 13 week semester. In high school I thought that 3 assessments in a week was the end of the world (lol pls kid).
So just do whatever needs to be done first, and then if you finish before the day the assignment/exam is done, then great, you can study for the next assessment task.
Still, I do recommend chucking your phone out the window just in case, since people usually all study last minute, meaning they’ll be asking you “hey do you know wtf Prof was talking about in lec 5?″
4. Break up your courses into hour-long chunks. Although we’re bingeing, it’s important that you make a list, even if it just says “Lecture 1, Lecture 2, Lecture 3″ so that you have a direction to go. Don’t allocate too much time for any one lecture, but at the same time, be realistic about how much you can cover in an hour. For example, if you’ve got 6 hours until an exam, you’re either going to study Lectures 1-3 really well, Lectures 1-6 so-so, and Lectures 1-10 superficially.
So choose wisely based on what you know or don’t know. If there’s a topic you know quite poorly, consider if it’s worth the time to study and learn the concept, or just bank on the subject not showing up in your exam. I’m actually pretty poor at gambling what will be in the exam, so I always choose to just study everything at a basic level.
A common pitfall I find in this area is skipping the basic stuff. You think you know it, but when you close your book and try writing it out on a blank piece of paper, you suddenly falter. This has happened to me repeatedly in an exam. I know all the really complex stuff like the back of my hand before I get into the examination room, and then I suddenly get a really simple question and I’m like wait, what was the answer again? I advise making lecture outlines that you just rote learn - this comes in useful for long response questions because you’ll often remember the small details, but will forget the next section, meaning you miss out on a massive chunk of information if you forget.
5. Rinse and repeat. Usually after about 2 weeks(?) of catching up like this I finally see the light of day and I can return to my normal schedule. If need be, I usually cut back on sleep to about 6 hours vs. 7.5 hours, but never pull an all nighter. You cannot do this unless you have breathing room the next day (which you won’t because you screwed up in the first place). Unless it is the very last assessment task, there’s a massive risk of ruining your next exam.
6. Try and never do that last minute ditch again.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana.
Never again right? Remember that starting early and finishing early is the key to good grades. We’re all just young uni students at the end of the day though, so do remember to forgive yourself if you end up repeating the procrastination. I’ll be cheering you all on!
MY WEEKLY STUDY TIPS
WHAT I WISH I’D KNOWN BEFORE UNIVERSITY STUDY TIPS SERIES
His long legs extended across her lap as he took a large gulp of the amber liquid. Sighing contently, he placed the glass bottle on the floor and snuggled deeper into his couch.
Her hands were lazily drapped over his feet as she focused on the television. The movie that they had been watching was fairly interesting although she was having a bit of a hard time following the plot.
“Wait, is he the sister’s boyfriend?” Y/N asked her best friend who shook his head in return.
“No, that’s the guy they met at the bar who looks like the boyfriend.” Dylan explained.
Furrowing her eyebrows, Y/N continued to watch the film hoping somewhere along the way things would make sense.
This was their routine. Every Friday night for the past 3 years was spent on his lumpy couch drinking beer, eating pizza, and watching movies.
As the ending credits started, Y/N let out a soft yawn as she extended her arms.
“What did you think?” Dylan asked, eager to know what she thought of the film.
“I thought she was going to pick the boyfriend’s brother’s friend.” Y/N admitted with a giggle, thinking about the cliched love triangle movie she just watched. “The ending was very unexpected.”
Pulling his feet off of her lap, he sat on the edge of the couch.
“What about you?” She called out as he walked to the kitchen with his empty beer bottle.
“I was routing for the boyfriend’s brother’s friend too.” His laugh echoed throughout the kitchen.
Their friendship consisted of watching cheesy romance movies together, texts at 3am when they couldn’t sleep, and the comfort of knowing that they always had someone they could count on. It was completely platonic.
My headcanons for how everyone reacted when Harry + Draco announced they were dating:
Ginny Weasley Knew before they did and encouraged Harry to ask Draco out. Rather than face her older brothers’ and parents’ well-intended attempts to “cheer you up a bit”, Ginny then spent three months back-packing through South America. Luna flew out to join her on a trek to Machu Picchu. By the time they got back Ginny was so giddily in love that her mum could, finally, relax and get to know Draco.
Luna Lovegood Nodded happily and pointed out that “Draco has been in love with you since 5th year”. Harry and Draco gaped at her and then each other. Draco in horror, Harry in delight. They then disappeared for 40 minutes, reappearing with slightly red eyes and massive grins. From then on Harry stopped telling people “I’m dating Draco” and started saying “I’m in love with Draco”.
Ron Weasley Got Harry drunk one night and labouriously explained that a person does not sacrifice themselves for their best mate during a giant enchanted chess game, survive a dunking in the Great Lake, face down giant spiders and spend an eternity camping with them while on the run from “a noseless snake-botherer”, only to then ditch said best mate just because he has the bad taste to develop a ferret fetish.
Hermione Granger Honestly had no idea. When pressed she admitted that Harry’s fixation with Draco at Hogwarts had been a bit obvious but, what with running for Minister of Magic, launching the SPEW foundation, chairing the Muggle-born outreach program, consulting on the rebuilding of Hogwarts, moving in with Ron and learning to crochet, she really hadn’t given Harry’s love life much thought.
Pansy Parkinson Was happy for Draco, despite avoiding Harry out of embarrassment over the whole “trying to hand him over to the dark lord… thing”. Nothing Draco said could persuade her to spend more than 10 minutes in Harry’s company. Until one day Harry turned up at her office, spirited her away for a long lunch and explained that if he was going to marry Draco he would need some help choosing the rings…
Narcissa Malfoy Ignored her husband’s outrage and spent two hours reassuring Draco that Lucius would come around before fixing Harry with a steely smile and suggesting they take a turn around the Manor rose garden. Harry refused to tell Draco what they talked about but he did agree to spend every other Christmas with the Malfoys in the South of France.
Lucius Malfoy Came around.
The Weasley family Were worried about Ginny for a while. Then George noticed his Mum knitting a giant, lime green ‘D’ onto an electric orange jumper and they all felt a lot better.
Dean Thomas Didn’t say much but two weeks later an owl arrived with one of Dean’s Hogwarts sketchbooks. It was from their 8th year and included multiple sketches of Harry and Draco covertly watching each other across the Great Hall. Harry was mortified. Draco has one of the sketches framed on his desk.
Seamus Finnigan Was still demanding “pics or it didn’t happen” at Harry and Draco’s 10 year anniversary celebration.
I bet the first time Dick pestered Clark into taking him flying Clark was like “did Bruce say it was ok?” And Dick’s like “yes of course absolutely lets go right now!” And Clark is unable to say no to adorable kids and he’s thinking “well if Bruce said it was ok…”
They get back after about 10 minutes of extreme fun they return to a glowering Batman and Bruce is like “Dick get inside” and Dick is grinning shamelessly as he skips into the Manor.
Bruce is like “Clark what the HELL were you thinking???” And Clark is like “But he said that YOU said it was ok???”
Bruce kind of looks at Clark like he’s an idiot and is like “he LIED Clark” Like Clark’s not an idiot but the idea of sweet innocent Dick Grayson straight up lying??? did not occur to him??
And that is the first time (but not the last time) that one or Bruce’s kids totally con Superman the end
Do NOT let a man make you feel guilty for “acting like a prostitute”, I.e demanding compensation upfront. Ive had 3 situations in my life where the man didn’t pay me upfront, in cash. Each time he has a bogus ass reason, I.e. it makes it feel less genuine, he doesn’t like how the girls act after he pays them, etc…EACH of these 3 times (note I see men multiple times a week over the last 2 years…so, LOTS of experience)…I was cheated!!
1. I was a senior in college. This man sent an electronic bank payment while we were at the hotel. The payment WAS sent, but never went through, I.e the bank denied it the next business day. He never paid up.
2. The man (stupid me, thought I could trust him), said he’ll pay me after. Well after he suggested we go to the bar, then have another round. We go downstairs. I turn for one second, this motherfucker RUNS away.
3. The man convinced me that he’d give me $ after, which he did, but during the act, made me feel like I had to succumb to doing things I didn’t wanna do, so that I’d get paid. He ends up NOT using a condom against my demands and I had to take a plan B and actually considered filing a lawsuit for a long time. FUCK him. Really. I wish the worst on him.
I recently met with a man off SA who just refused to give it to me upfront. We legit argued for 10 minutes. He tried to kiss me as if I was there to play with his saggy azz and give in, I pushed him away and left. Honestly just typing these stories makes my blood boil so Ima stop right there.
Moral is. Of my 100s of tricks I’ve turned, never has it gone well when he refuses to compensate you upon your arrival. Stay safe ladies. Don’t let these disgusting delusional trouts finesse you. Learn from my mistakes. Xo
I wrote this originally for Artist Alley Network International, but it struck a chord with a lot of people, so re-posting here!
Your artwork, and your merchandise, is WORTH SOMETHING!
1. You are producing something no one else can. Even if there are a
hundred other similar items, only you are making artwork like you. That
is worth something even if you don’t immediately see it.
aren’t walmart. You are a small business owner and need to charge what
you’re worth rather than race to the bottom to see who’s the cheapest.
This ties into #1… so what if someone else has acrylic charms for $3.
You are the only one selling YOUR art, so price it at it’s worth.
3. Shipping, storage, packaging, presentation, and protection are all
worth extra. Your item may only cost $1.50 to produce, but you also
spent .10 to upgrade the quality. You spent .50 cents to ship it. You
spent another $1 on packaging, and you spent $30 on the display it’s on.
You rent your apartment or garage for $500-1500/mo. Your table cost
you $300 to rent. Your online store charges you .20 cents per sale plus
a transaction fee. Your item will sell at a loss if you sell it for $2
or $3, even if production was less than that. Factor in all these costs
when you sell your item. PLUS, your worth. If you spent hours making
the design, you deserve some of that in compensation!
Perceived value is actual value. Customers who see an artist where
everything is $2-3 probably will perceive it as less valuable than the
artist who sells everything from $20-30, even if the artist selling
cheaper actually puts more time into their work. Perceived value also
will change the way a customer approaches your artwork. Will they
cherish it and save it and frame it, or will they punch holes through it
with a thumbtack, or will they forget it’s in their bag and find it
bent up hours later? Sometimes pricing your art higher actually creates
DEMAND, because it now looks like it’s worth something.
sketch does not necessarily = cheap price. Did you spend money on your
art education? Are you experienced in your field? Is there a lot of
demand for your artwork? Do you work professionally with many clients?
Did it take you years and hours to develop your style and speed? All
of these are separate from how long it takes you to draw. Which is why a
10 minute sketch might be worth $40 rather than minimum wage x time
6. We are all in this together. If you fight with
your neighbors on who can price art the cheapest to get the fastest
sales, you are fighting a downhill battle which will ultimately make ALL
of your artwork worth far less. Instead, look at an artist and go
“Wait a minute? They charge HOW MUCH? That means I can charge that
much, too” When I sit in a row of artists charging what they’re worth, I
notice that ALL of us make far more sales than if we underprice one
another. This also reflects in the market, too. If a client who
wants to charge $1000 for 24 illustrations is turned down by countless
artists they’ll realize they have unrealistic expectations. When people
start seeing the $ sign, instead of factoring in their time and energy
and take these low paying jobs, these clients will become upset when
they see the artist they really wanted turning them down. Obviously
artists from different countries will price differently, BUT, if you’re
selling to someone in a different country with a higher dollar value,
ask for that higher value! You’re competing against THEIR dollar rather
than your country’s dollar at that point. Same goes for pricing
How to read 20 minutes a day in your target language(s)
Why you should do it?
Story time: A few years ago, I had to prepare an exam that was quite hard (it takes you 2 years to prepare it, and you basically study more than 12 hours a day). I had to study around 10 different subjects, among which English and Spanish. So when our English teacher told us that to make progress we had to read in English for 20 minutes every day, we felt like it was going to be impossible. However, most of us decided to give it a try and we didn’t regret it: the results were super good and we all made a lot of progress very quickly ! (I guess the key here is immersion) So here’s how to read in your target language for 20 minutes every day :)
When to read ?
Finding 20 minutes each day to read can be quite hard. You can try to do it at night before going to sleep, which can be a good idea for some of people, but you might be tired, not very focused on your reading or want to watch a movie instead. And if you’re a party animal you might miss a lot of days ;) What I did was reading while I took my breakfast, for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. But I often didn’t have the time to read or to take a breakfast at all so I found out that the best method for me was to read while I was on the bus. I had 25 minutes of bus every morning so that was the perfect time to read some English. I would just download a few articles on my phone, sit down and read :) Sometimes I would also read on the way back. Some other methods that might work for you could be reading while brushing your teeth, waiting for the bus, waiting for your episode to download, waiting for the water to boil, during lunch or dinner etc. If you can find only 5 minutes four times a day, you’ve done it ! :)
What to read ?
I personnally mainly read newpapers articles because I had to focus on the news for my exam. But it’s even better if you vary what you read: it can be a book, a magazine, some poetry, lyrics, browsing social networks in your target language, fanfiction… whatever you like :) For example, I really love surfing so I still read the World Surf League articles in English and Portuguese almost every day. The more you vary your resources, the more vocabulary you’ll learn and the more you will be immersed in the language !
Also an alternative that my English teacher gave us was to read for 15 minutes and then listen (to a podcast, an audiobook, the radio, the news etc…) for 10 minutes.
- him being a complete smol bean, and completely different to how he is on screen and stage - when he’s stressed out, him asking you to cuddle him - “babe, please come and cuddle with me. i’m lonely.” - and you obviously obliging. because who would miss out on a suga hug? - having cute little movie nights every single Saturday, if he’s not on tour - cute little snores - GuMmY sMiLeS - wearing his shirts - “y/n, have you seen my grey shirt, i can’t find it anywh- oh.” - “sorry, yoongi, you can have it back.” - “no, keep it. you look adorable.” - no pda when the other members are around - but he can’t stop hugging and kissing you when you’re alone together - him letting you have little previews of his new songs - song written about you - silly and weird snapchats/texts - lots and lots of swearing - literally, the guys would think you’re trying to have a competition to see who can swear the most within one conversation - being with you whenever he can - “yoongi, go hang with the guys. i can last here on my own for a couple hours.” - “no, i don’t wanna leave you.” - “god, you’re such a pain in the ass.” - “but you love me.” - “don’t flatter yourself.” - him taking a while to say “i love you”,but after saying it the first time he’d never stop - “text me when you get home.” - s o f t a s f u c k - he would literally worship you, you were his religion and he’d happily follow you until death - having really heated and aggressive arguments with him, but after about 10 minutes him kissing you and apologising for what he did wrong. - “babe, just shut up and kiss me.” - you gotta have a lot of tolerance - going on little adventures in the middle of the night. if he wasn’t busy sleeping - taking long naps with each other - massive fits of laughter that lasts about 20 minutes at a time - “what colour are you dying your hair next?” - being really good friends with the rest of the guys, especially hoseok - him getting jealous of your and hoseoks relationship - “min yoongi, i love you, and no one else. okay, hoseok is just a friend.” - sarcasm - when he can’t sleep, you’d sit up with him and have deep meaningful conversations about how much you love each other - “y/n, you know i love you more then anything in this world. i would do anything for you, i honestly don’t know what I’d do without you.” - hIm LeTtInG yOu WeAr HiS lEaThEr JaCkEt - lazy morning snuggles - his being the little spoon whilst sleeping - cute facetimes whilst he’s on tour - him getting stressed easily and flipping out a lot - your arguments would be the worst - lots of shouting and screaming, sometimes things will be thrown around - him yelling “i fucking hate you, i wish we never met.” before storming out the door - you probably breaking down into tears - him coming back several hours later, wit sore eyes - “I’m so so sorry, you know i didn’t mean it. don’t you? i love you, and without you I’d be nothing.” - going out on random dates - yoongi calling you up at stupid times in the morning just so you can cuddle - cute little suga - him getting jealous of other boys staring at you - “hey, prick, get your own girl.” - grabbing your hand randomly and squeezing it tight whilst saying “i love you.” - out of the blew hugs from behind - his deep and husky voice in the morning - “morning babe. did you sleep well?” - going crazy over his raps in all the cyphers - “so, I’m guessing you like my tongue technology.” *winky face* - so basically you just having the cutest of cute relationships, yeah, you might have a few problems but no relationship is perfect. but yours would obviously be pretty close. ~ sup, hey, how ya doin! so, heya, i hope you enjoyed this. i will be doing the same for all the rest of the boys, just later on- like next week. anyway, thanks for reading. and guess what; i have a masterlist! go check that out! - love ya! - kala <3 last post; northern dialect