- LOVED the episode. Entertaining from start to finish! Look, we all knew that “answers every week” is bullshit. I say this every week, but we’ve waited so many years, so we can wait 3 more weeks. So let’s just set aside the fact that we get no answers and just appreciate the fast pace and lack of fillers. I’m glad that the build up to the almighty answers-episode is fun. Season 7 really is the best season to date in my opinion.
- This episode should’ve been called Mona Mania, instead of that season 3 episode! She owned this episode. I won’t even list everything she did that justifies her walking around town with a crown on her head. You know all the reasons. Just every Mona scene was so damn entertaining.
- NO ALI!!! Instant success!!! It felt like a good old season 4 episode. I say this a lot but Ali still feels like the outsider to the group. The dynamics just work better with Spencer, Hanna, Aria and Emily. I love those 4 together. Ali still doesn’t fit in the group, in my eyes. I might feel like that because we had 4 whole seasons with just the 4 of them so I’m too used to it and I never adapted to the change properly when she came back in 5A. No hate on Sasha, but I’m just not a fan of Ali’s character, I’ve always thought they ruined her once she came back from the dead. This episode just had great vibes without her, just like 713.
- Hastings drama was on point. Nolan is doing an amazing job playing Peter.
- We did it! Another thing this Tumblr community guessed right: Aria was filing a police report against Ezra during the time she found out he was writing a book. It’s a shame they’re not going further and doing the abortion story, but I still like this.
- MARY!! Welcome back. I actually feel sorry for her. I think she’s the most misunderstood character ever in PLL history.
- I did really enjoy the plot twist that Peter and Jessica were planning to kill Mary but she intercepted and killed Jessica. Self defence. I never saw that coming. It doesn’t change the final outcome that Mary killed Jessica, but it’s a nice additional layer to the overall story to show just how complex this mystery is. I appreciated and enjoyed that unnecessary layer.
- Ezra pisses me off SO MUCH. He’s so blind. He’s so stupid. Just like last week, he thinks everything is about him. “You still don’t trust me because I wrote a book?” UMMMM NO???? Two weeks ago (PLL timeline) Hanna was abducted and EVERYONE, including Ezra, got a message from someone named AD, and the twin of a dead woman rocked up in town. Why has Ezra forgotten all of this??? Does he think AD just packed up and went home?? Does he think Hanna’s abduction was just a prank gone wrong and that all the messages about ‘find Hanna before it’s too late’ was just for fun? He saw ‘Hanna’ hanging from ropes in the bell tower, and he thinks the thing bothering Aria is trust issues from 6 years ago? Open your eyes Ezra. Someone is messing with your fiancé again. Not everything is about you.
- On a positive note I did appreciate his comments about regret with the book situation. I know that was very sincere. But get a hold of reality. Aria’s change of mood is not about you, ffs.
- Did that shirt from Radley belong to Spencer’s twin? Idk, just something to think about.
- The fact that AD is trying to break apart the Hastings house feels like AD has a vendetta against the Hastings. Perhaps, Twincer is angry they adopted Spencer but not herself? Revenge?
- Spencer’s numberplate was CHD. I know we shouldn’t be looking into this stuff because not once have these had meaning, but, I couldn’t help but think back to Charles DiLaurentis.
- Thank god the musical number was short. I mean, I enjoyed it, and Janel can sing, but it did feel a bit random and out of nowhere. Perhaps that’s because I was so immersed in the episode and enjoying it so much, that when that came on, the pace was ruined out of nowhere. But judging it for what it is, standalone, it was cool! I don’t understand Lucy’s comments that all the girls were in it? Were they, and I just didn’t see them? haha
- I’m surprised Spencer hasn’t pieced together that Aria is doing this. The earring… bringing dinner then leaving? I don’t know about you guys but not once in my entire life have I driven to my friends house to drop off dinner for them and then leave? That’s just weird. Some might say it’s a polite gesture… and it is, but it’s weirdly polite. No one does that?? “Hey I brought you dinner! Ok I’m going now!” wtf?
- Can Marco just arrest them already!? They’re dwindling on this story for too long. Too much talking, not enough action.
- The episode felt incomplete. I don’t like how they’re dragging on a few storylines into the next episode, such as Aria’s reward (we know it was her files… but I wanted to actually read them in detail) and the doctor’s ID. Those storylines were the stories of THIS episode. Episode 17 was about THOSE things - they should’ve got total resolution, to define the episode and say “episode 17 revolved around these things”. I was just waiting for them to say Wren’s name (in regards to the doctor who did the procedure). And it never came. This episode should’ve had just one more reveal of sorts. And I don’t like that they didn’t just reveal things then and there. Oh and also the puzzle pieces… I thought with 2 more pieces, we’d get a better idea of what the pieces are forming. But no. So that was a tiny bit disappointing, that Aria did all that work and she/we still didn’t really get much out of it.
- That ending confirmed for me that Mona is not AD. It’s too obvious. I know CeCe was obvious because they literally showed her in a hoodie… but this is different. This is too close to the finale. I don’t believe Mona is AD. Instead, Mona wants to win the liars’ trust back so she’s working to solve the game, rather than administer the game to them. Also she is saving their assess by taking the shovels/potential evidence - it’s good not bad. Unfortunately this all comes back to Mona dying in the finale. She’ll get way too close to AD’s identity, and then AD will kill her. Thankfully, the girls will pickup where Mona left off and end it themselves. Then, they’ll realise they couldn’t have done it without Mona. So sad, but it’s a great story arc especially for a series finale.
- Caleb’s talk about Hanna to Ashley was adorable. That was a really well done scene. I loved their tent scene with the rings and Hanna bringing the bottle because she anticipated Caleb would say “yes I meant those words”. We all know the writers chose a tent because that’s where they spent their first night - I like that attention to detail. Terrible song choice… oh my gosh. Why not just use the same song as 1x19 (I think that was the episode?) Nostalgia always sells.
- Overall, my second favourite episode this season! 8.5/10. I really did like it. Again, I’ve gotten over the fact that we don’t get answers every episode. It was a lie, yes, but I’m not going to sit here and whinge when the answers are just 3 weeks away anyway. I’m just taking the episodes for what they are, disregarding all comments from writers, and I’m loving the ride. Fast paced, good writing, amazing mystery/story. Decent romance too - coming from someone who only watches for mystery, they’re doing well. I honestly would’ve rated this a 10/10 episode if they just went that extra mile and revealed the doctor’s name (Wren), showed us Aria’s reward properly AND give us insight into what the puzzle pieces are forming. The episode felt incomplete that they started stories this episode and never resolved them completely. But nonetheless, it was amazing. No Ali definitely contributed to that ;) 8.5 might seem high for an episode with no answers, but I was entertained from start to finish, no fillers, decent romance, really good mystery… can’t say much bad other than it feeling incomplete. This was an episode of PLL doing what it does best. IF ONLY THEY JUST GAVE A LITTLE BIT MORE IN THE FINAL MINUTES.
EDIT: SORRY I MEAN DONOR - NOT DOCTOR. It’s 2.30am right now, and I just finished watching the episode. I was going to watch it in the morning but I stayed up to get this post out - I always get messages asking when my thoughts post will be up!
Me Watching New Trailer: Oh my gosh this looks amazing!!! The animation is so much better and everything looks so clean and wonderful! They really went above and beyond to produce an amazing Sports Festival Arc, which is honestly great because it’s such an important arc to manga, especially for Todoroki and Izuku!
Oh my god NO
*can’t contain breathing anymore*
In all seriousness, if I’m excited for anything during this anime season, it’s not only to see Todoroki grow into the dorky kid that he is today in the present day manga, but also to see Ochako and the motivations for her to be where she is today. The Sports Festival is really the time where she truly shows us for the first time how capable she is and how fantastic she is as a fighter. Her fight with Katsuki (which is where the bottom still is from) is one that showed just how clever and amazing she is and she really broke the word fragile with every move she made towards him. Even though she didn’t win, she still showed Katsuki and the audience truly the extent of her skill.
What I’m also loving is how beautiful they made her past sequence as well. In the manga, it was only a few panels that were a bit emotional but did lose that effect it was supposed to have just due to the fact that they were panels. However, here in the anime, it looks like they’re going full out with it. They’re brining out the halo effects and I can only imagine the emotional voices that are going to come out of Ochako’s VA, especially since this is a moment where we do see a shift in Ochako’s normally bubbly demeanor as she explains her motivation for being a hero.
Overall, I’m not only excited to see my princess in action and kicking major butt but I’m honestly so pumped for the arc just to be animated in general. Everything looks so much better and I’m also super excited to see Todoroki and how they animate his past as well. All of it is just going to make me cry and I feel like they’re really going to be bringing this to life!
I'm a firm believer in the Eleventh Hour Arc Is The Best Arc religion because of how good the storytelling is also Taako in a skirt
thats fine we can all be wrong
YES eleventh hour is literally the best made arc, YES it’s the best written with the best pacing and perfectly timed reveals and cinematic and is clear as day to visualize which is a magic in and of itself BUT
crystal kingdom is nonstop zags and goofs of the most original variety, is the first time we get a clue as to what the real plot of this show even REMOTELY is, features the comebacks and appearances of all the best characters up to that point, has the best relistening quality because 1. theres so many details easy to miss or forget over time 2. the big plot twists aren’t so earth shattering that experiencing it isn’t a one-time huge deal. also RIFE with foreshadowing unlike any other arc which means especially NOW its beyond great to listen to
yall can tell me which arc is ur favorite all u want, it basically means nothing to me bc i dont know u and u wont change my mind and also crystal kingdom fucking ROCKS
Of a little Guardian Angel - or “Why do I love OkiKagu development in the last arc?”
At the beginning I was not a big OkiKagu fan. Of course I liked them, no doubt here. I liked them, but not as much as other (potential) pairings in Gintama. Then the Farewell Shinsengumi Arc came, the arc which changed my opinion of those two by 180 degrees. The beautiful and well-written arc showing how interesting their canon relationship is. The arc I want to analyze a little now, because I think there are many things that may be said.
(to be precise - I talk about canon scenes and the OkiKagu relationship just how it is shown in the manga, so no real romantic material is included here)
Okay honestly though I’m still upset we never got to see season six/seven finished. I LOVED the unfinished Utapau arc especially with Obi Wan and Anakin, it had so much great banter that would have been amazing to see animated. UGH.
I just asked the Star Wars website if they could put up some official Obi Wan and Anakin season seven (?) concept art and renders so I can draw them without pausing the arcs every five minutes. And so I can do Anakin’s face justice cause omg child what is your face.
i realize a lot of people probably don’t like him, but i appreciate the character of steve harrington like he starts off with a reputation for being this massive douche and you can see he’s already changed a little from the person he’s been that got him that reputation but not much because change is procedural and then he fucks up and he’s a dick and he apologizes which is great and then he’s a worse asshole because he lets his temper get the better of him and then he has this great moment of self realisation that he’s been an awful person and his shitty friends have a bad influence on him and he cuts ties with them and for the rest of the show he’s trying his best to be a better person and i think that’s a great and varied character arc, especially for a side character to go through in only eight episode, good for you steve
I’ll talk in a later post about the actual stuff happening here, but for right now I’m going to concentrate on just the changes SMC made. I knew this change had been made before I watched the episode, because I’d seen spoilers for it on tumblr, so I didn’t have my hopes raised ahead of time, but… I still felt really sad about this.
Because Venus just straight up STABBING BERYL WITH THE SWORD to kill her was one of my favorite moments in the manga, especially from that arc, and it was a great way of showing Venus’ importance as the leader of the group and it never took away from the story because Beryl is not the ultimate big bad of this arc.
While watching this, I was struggling with the question of, “Why did they change this? What purpose did this serve, why would they take that away from Venus??” And I don’t have concrete answers, but I have a really strong guess.
Because I think Crystal is being influenced by the ‘90s anime in a lot of the wrong places.
I love the transformation sequences, I think they’re lovely and they fit a magical girl series, it’s a thing that’s long been associated with Sailor Moon! I don’t mind the occasional nods here and there to the '90s anime, it did a lot of cool things! And I do remember that the final fight with Beryl from the first arc was incredibly iconic, it was incredibly badass when I first saw it!
And I personally suspect that Crystal changed the storyline to be more like the '90s anime, where it was Usagi fighting against Beryl with the help of her friends behind her.
For the most part, I don’t mind that. But I think this was a misstep, to try to be more like the '90s anime version, because Venus’ role as the leader is something that made her unique and made her stood out. I’m also sad on a personal level because Minako is my favorite of Usagi’s Sailor Soldiers and her having zero fucking qualms about just straight up STABBING BERYL IN THE STOMACH TO KILL HER was one of the best character moments for her, like, she was fun and silly and a teenage girl, but she was also a hardcore soldier that YOU DID NOT FUCK AROUND WITH.
Instead, I feel not nearly as much connection to this version, despite that having her friends supporting her and getting to see Usagi wielding the Holy Sword did take a good amount of the sting out of it.