it is not linear
past vs present
- how trauma traps Sisko in the past, it robs him of his now
- Jadzia, letting her past lives’ baggage infringe on her present
present vs future
- in Rapture, Sisko willing to accept deterioration of his present form for the sake of visions for the future
- Jadzia constantly willing to compromise Dax’s future for the sake of living truthfully in her current life
the temporal nature of the self… where do we exist most? what defines who we are: our past, present, or future?
- Dax symbiont defined almost solely as a collection of past experiences VS pre-joined Jadzia as someone who trained her entire life for her future as a completely different person
- “I never left that ship” “you exist here” VS “That future, that space station, all those people – they exist in here! In my mind. I created it.”
- the past no longer exists and the future is only an idea, but *Benny Russell voice* it’s REAL!!!
you can’t change the past and you can’t destroy an idea, that’s ancient knowledge
just…. everything with Sisko as a Prophet and his best friend the joined Trill, as beings existing outside of normal timelines