Man I remember the last 413. I was drawing, the clock was counting down. I was constantly checking MSPA every few minutes for no reason. I was so nervous by midnight I couldn’t concentrate on what I was drawing. Things were fucking tense.
so adrien has a little problem: he likes marinette. like he really, honest-to-god likes her, and he doesn’t know what to do about it. his track record with girls isn’t so stellar. after he confessed his feelings to ladybug as chat noir, she calmly turned him down and admitted she liked someone else. so as nino would say, without a lady to tie him down, adrien agreste is single and ready to mingle.
but he’s always been single?? and what does mingle even mean?? like, nino, what the hell, dude?? help a man out.
so nino sits him down and explains how to get his crush. with his previous crush, nino tells him, adrien obviously didn’t do it right, and that’s why she turned him down (nino doesn’t know it was ladybug, and he just likes to think adrien was crushing on a supermodel who was totally out of even his league).
nino: “you gotta flirt, man. the ladies love a dude who’s chill and cool and confident. you gotta rock it and own it. you got this.” adrien: “but how? every time I go to her, she looks at me, and I can’t… make my words work.” nino: “….you two are perfect for each other.” adrien: “what?” nino: “what?”
nino gives him an article with a few tips for flirting. this shouldn’t be too bad, and hey, it worked on alya, nino swears by it. so with 10 Flirting Techniques That Are Garunteed to Work on Women on his mind, adrien is determined to woo the ladies.
1. set the stage with the “soft stare”: so all he had to do was stare at marinette as deeply as possible whenever they had a conversation while maintaining a calm and relaxed expression. marinette likes to stutter and stammer her ways through her words, and he couldn’t blame her, because he lost control when he tried to talk to her as well, and usually her antics made him smile and laugh. but according to the tips, he wasn’t allowed to.
it’s all good for a week or so, until nino pulls him aside and asks why he looks like he’s plotting how to murder marinette in her sleep like some type of serial killer every time he talks to her.
he stops talking to her after that. alya tracks him down a few days later and whacks him upside the head for making her best friend cry by ignoring her. adrien goes back to talking to marinette as normally as possible after that because it’s better to talk to her as friends than invoke his “killer smile” while trying to flirt.
2. be vague and leave her wanting more: adrien has this in the bag. he knows how to skirt around a topic, but that’s just because he has to make sure he kept his secret identity as a superhero of Paris a… secret. being vague is one of his best talents, it also helps with those stupid paparazzi who always follow him. the article offers some suggests: tell her you know a secret about her, tell her there’s something interesting about her and you can’t put your finger on it, tell her that’s she exactly your type but don’t tell her what you type actually is, etc. he spends most of the night plotting his exact words, and the next day, when he sees marinette, it just comes spilling out…
adrien: “i know your secret, marinette.” marinette: “…what?” well shit, adrien thought, the article didn’t tell him what happened after this. adrien: “…i know it. your secret… i knew there was something about you that i couldn’t put my finger on.” marinette: “…wait, so you know? ohmygodthiscan’tbehappening,ohmygod, how did you figure it out???”
adrien wasn’t sure what to do after this point, so like the article said, he leaves her wanting more and nopes the fuck outta there, cha-cha sliding out of the classroom and bolting down the hallway before she could catch him.
3. the sensual look: once a girl is comfortable around you, give her a mischievous look that makes her think. the article (and nino) never really explain what the girl will think about, but adrien totally supports girl empowerment and helping those smart cookies get the best grades and brilliance recognition they deserve. if a mischievous smile is all it takes, then he’s more than happy to help.
he flashes her a quirky smirk in Madame Bustier’s lecture, marinette notices and freezes up. he thinks he did it wrong when nino just leans closer and says, “you broke marinette.”
adrien apologizes after class and swears he’ll never break her again. marinette just mumbles, “you can break me anytime.”
adrien thinks it’s counterproductive.
4. the surprise wink: whenever you pass her, just wink after you lock eyes, nino says, she won’t expect it and it’ll surprise her but give her the clear and distinct message that you are flirting with her. adrien wants marinette to know he likes her and wants to flirt with he rand wants to date her and just be with her, so he winks every time he gets.
they see each other in class? wink he catches her eyes while they study for physics? wink they talk about madame bustier’s homework? wink she asks him for his opinion on her designs? wink
at first, she giggles. after two weeks, she presents him with a bottle of over-the-counter artificial tears for his “eye twitch.” he stops winking after that and doesn’t talk to nino for the rest of the day.
5. the playful bump: playful actions, like bumping, will definitely make a girl smile.
adrien: “but nino, i could hurt her.” nino: “no, my dude, she knows you’re teasing.” adrien: “i don’t care if she knows. what if i knock her over?” nino: “no, you don’t do it hard, you just–” adrien: “what if she falls over and breaks her nose? i don’t wanna break her nose, nino. she has a cute nose.” nino: “adrien, you’re not gonna break her–” adrien: “niNO”
6. the understatement: understate the compliments you give her, okay, okay, adrien can do this. it’s simple.
adrien: “marinette, your eyes are blue… like avatar’s skin. just blue.. all over.. it’s great. not the brightest blue, but not the darkest. just blue. you have blue eyes, marinette.” marinette: *is speechless* nino: “…you nailed that, adrien.” adrien: “oh thanks, nino.”
7. the double negative, “i don’t think you’re not beautiful”: adrien: “but i do think she’s beautiful.” nino: “i know, you’re telling her that.” adrien: “but you just said i don’t think she’s beautiful?” nino: “no, no, you said you don’t think she’s not beautiful, so ergo you think she is beautiful.” adrien: “…grammar hurts my head, nino.” nino: “i know, my dude, i understand.”
8. the sensual tease, tease her for liking you: okay, but adrien doesn’t know if marinette likes him like that? nino swears she does, and alya says so too, but it still makes him feel bad for teasing her. so he doesn’t tease her and just keeps doing stuff like he normally does, like walking her home from school and helping her study physics and giving her advice for her designs and keeping a stash of food for her on the mornings she runs late and he knows she didn’t have breakfast yet.
nino rolls his eyes, but adrien doesn’t care. his momma didn’t raise no hooligan. no, if he was going to flirt with marinette, at least he can be a gentleman about it.
9. the moniker: giving her a cute nickname will let her know how special she is. adrien spends a week thinking about it, and nino gives him a few suggestions, but he doesn’t listen. if he’s giving marinette a nickname, it has to be something he does because it’ll let her know she’s special to him.
a few days later, he slips up and calls her “princess” because she’s pretty, sweet, smart, likes pink, and is a natural born leader just like a royal. marinette freezes when he calls her that, but she smiles and laughs eventually. she seems to like it, and he keeps doing it. it’s fitting, he supposes, for someone like her. marinette, his princess.
does that mean he gets to be her knight?
nino calls him a nerd.
10. tell her how you feel: it’s the last step, and adrien agonizes over it for days. it can’t really be as simple as nino makes it out to be, but then again, his best friend has been dating a pretty sweet gal for months, so it obviously worked for him. adrien broods over it for a while, and alya warns him not to ignore marinette for days again, and he swears he isn’t. he’s just trying to find his courage. why oh why is it so much easier to face an akuma with certain death hanging over his head than tell a girl how he really feels?
marinette decides to take matters into her own hands, which he isn’t really surprised by because she usually is a head-strong, independent female. what he is surprised by is when ladybug swings into his bedroom window and transforms into marinette right before his very eyes.
marinette: “why are you ignoring me? did i do something wrong?” adrien: *adrien.exe has stopped working* marinette: “…adrien?” adrien: “…you’re… ladybug?!” marinette: “yeah, i know. you know. we’ve been over this–” adrien: “nononoNO, we most certainly haven’t.” marinette: *marinette.exe has stopped working* adrien: “…marinette?” marinette: “I… but you said you knew my secret.” adrien: “I WAS BEING VAGUE.” marinette: “WHY?!” adrien: “IVE BEEN FLIRTING WITH YOU.” marinette: “…you have?” adrien: “well, i was trying–”
plagg: *pops out of adrien’s pocket* “oh, are we trading secrets?” tikki: *pops out of marinette’s bag* “I think so?” plagg: *holds out paw to marinette* “fine. im plagg, i turn him into chat noir. nice to finally meet you. i’m glad you guys are finally telling each other, it’s been so tiring listening to him mooning over you. do you have any cheese?” marinette: “…you’re chat noir?” adrien: *dies*
so marinette and adrien are dating now, so in a way he thinks his plan worked? that doesn’t stop marinette from asking him how he thought he’d been flirting, so he tells her nino’s tips. she laughs for a week straight. that’s the last time he ever listens to nino.
an adrien version of this post. some people asked for an adrien version, it’s not directly a sequel, but still another au. just two nerds trying to flirt and failing spectacularly.
although weirdly enough out of all the people i can remember pete interacting with in the show, as far as i can tell, hes only taller than sonny and daniela,, which is weird to think about, he just seems really tall because he literally only stands by tiny tiny sonny
even so! he’s the perfect height,,
the perfect height difference for hugs and forehead kisses,, how lucky we all are
A person on G+ (because where else would they be) called Why™ is taking and reposting people’s (like @marielgum, @lum1natrix, @markired, @dork-iplier, @floatingmegane-san etc. There’s too many to list, honestly) gifs and art without permission and thinks that simply linking to SOME of the accounts is enough. (ps. its not lol)
In fact, they put the credit in a place where barely any people look. (It’s like the YouTube description. A small percentage of people go there.)
Then they claim that I need to look for it. (ps i dont ha should be visible)
And even then, they never got permission in the first place.
Go report them please. Reblogs are very much appreciated.
hopping on the ‘dennis is taking his meds’ meta bandwagon: not only has he been less explosive and rage filled this season but he’s also had zero emotional breakdowns??????
like look at what happened in ptsdee when he and charlie got booed off the stage. in previous seasons that is ABSOLUTELY something that would make him have a breakdown (see: the family fight episode, the gang group dates, literally any episode where his self esteem comes into play). AND YET!!!!!! HE WAS FINE!!!!!! he got a little mad but!! he was fine!!!!!! no crying, no emotional breakdown, no curling into the fetal position bc of the public humiliation he was experiencing, NOTHING!!
This hobby can be incredibly addicting. Its easy to go overboard collecting tanks and fish. But everyone hits their limit at some point. Eventually you won’t be able to just get another tank, or you’ll get burned out on the hobby as a whole because you over did it and just aren’t invested enough in what put you over the edge.
Its easy to get into the mentality that you can do what you want with tanks just because you can. You have a spare tank lying around and see a cute fish at the store. You know you shouldn’t - you have too many tanks and they’re getting to be too much work. But you can, you’ve got everything you need to house this fish, and you figure you’ll just handle the maintenence later, so you do it.
Eventually you find yourself with too many tanks and too many fish. And you love all of these fish to some degree - but do you regret setting up that extra tank on a whim? Smuggling another one home you weren’t supposed to have?
I’ve hit that point before. I’ve had too many tanks, too many impulse buys, and most importantly - fish I was just not invested in enough.
I can think back to turning points in my time in this hobby, where I learned a lot and made major improvements in the care of my fish. And in every case, these things were prompted by a fish that I really, really loved. A fish that was a pure delight to watch.
One of the biggest turning points that I think a lot of even very experienced fish keeper miss is when I realized that I needed to rethink how I chose what fish I kept, and better manage my available tank space.
There are a lot of fish available to the hobby that I really like and would love to keep. If I came across them in the store, I’d probably be that person that gets really excited and bounces up and down at the sight of them. But when I find these fish, I’ve learned to take a step back and think about it.
First, do I even have tank space for them that would be appropriate long term housing? Not just a situation that is acceptable, but in the very best interests of this fish and any other existing fish it might be moving in with? I want to make sure my fish are always being given the best I can offer, that they don’t get a lower standard of care than my other animals because I put my wants (to have these fish) over their comfort.
Second, do I have quarantine space available? I am still planning to do that video on quarantine and acclimations that will explain this, but quarantine is really important for the health and wellbeing of your fish. I need to make sure I have both space for a permanent home and space for quarantine available when I bring them home, not just one or the other. (Especially not just quarantine, and I’ll figure out a real home later. I’m bad about this.)
And finally, the make or break question that I’ve learned to ask myself - is this the best use of my available space? I’ve realized that I can find a fish I love in the moment and bring it home, but when I have an opportunity to get something I’m much more interested in, I regret using up that tank space for a species that I am not quite as interested in. I keep lists of fish that I’d love to keep some day. Some are pipe dreams, some are more realistic. I don’t have to limit myself to fish on this list, I’m sure there are plenty of interesting fish that I’ve never encountered. But I have to love it at least as much as those fish. If I think to myself, “Would I rather use this space for X wishlist fish?” and the answer is yes, then I don’t get that fish.
This has helped cut down on my “multiple tank syndrome”, my impulse buys, and has kept me more invested in the tanks and fish I’m keeping now.
So only keep the fish you love the most, not what catches your eye in the moment. Make your hobby as rewarding as you can make it.