I've never owned a dog before but I plan to when I move out. I'd very much like a Shiba inu, but I know they're very energetic and independent dogs. But I'm hoping to have a house with a large, fenced in backyard so it could run around and get it's energy out. Do you have any suggestions as for how else to prepare myself?
Shibas are generally not considered to be good first time dogs but if you’re dedicated you can definitely make it work. Some general advice:
- Read various first time dog owning guides. there’s lots of these online. This will give you a good idea of basics like frequency + amount of food, grooming, vaccinations + vet care, socialization, and training.
- Talk to shiba owners and breeders. See what they have to say that differs from owning other types of dog.
- Enroll your dog in obedience classes. Some of these are better than others so shop around to see what works best for you. Watching training videos online also works but for someone 100% new to dog training having another person helps.
- Participate in dog socialization meet-ups. Your dog makes friends and gets some exercise too. Wait until your dog has all its puppy shots first though.
- Dogs, especially puppies, definitely have the potential to get into things and tear your house up. Be prepared to spend a lot of time running/walking/playing with a young dog. Makes sure to put anything you don’t want torn up or eaten out of reach.
- Get ready for hefty vet bills. Dog vet trips easily run over $500. Pet health insurance does exist but how good it is varies a lot. Something to consider reading up on.
Ultimately, be patient and get ready to spend lots of time with your new pet!