so obviously “what if the Allies had lost WWII” and “what if the North had lost the Civil War” are boring and racist for obvious reasons but you know what I would like to see?
“what if the Colonists had lost the invasion”
show me a story about what the world would be like today if the North and South American continents had remained under the control of their indigenous populations. Show me what those cultures would look like, having grown into world superpowers. Let me see that tv series
nothing in my life has ever made me happier than to love and cherish 9 of the most loveliest boys in existence. as a group you have grown so much these past 5 years and nothing has made me more proud than seeing you push past the limits that people put on you and achieving things nobody else has yet to achieve. your hardwork, your perseverance, and your loyalty is evident time and time again and nobody can any longer doubt how hard you have all worked to become the successful and talented group you have dreamed of since predebut. happy happy 5 years exo and i truly hope to see you boys achieve all of your dreams that will last you a lifetime! (insp)
By Daryl Davis, September 29 at 6:00 AM:Daryl
Davis, author of “Klan-Destine Relationships,” and subject of the
documentary “Accidental Courtesy,” is an award-winning musician, actor,
lecturer and race relations expert.
night in 1983, I found myself playing in a country band at a truck stop
lounge. I was the only black person in the joint. Taking a break after
the first set of music, I was headed to sit at a table with my bandmates
when a white gentleman approached from behind and put his arm around my
shoulders. “I really enjoy y’all’s music,” he said. I shook his hand
and thanked him. “This is the first time I ever heard a black man play
piano like Jerry Lee Lewis,” he continued.
I told him that Lewis
was a friend of mine and that he had learned his style from watching and
listening to black blues and boogie-woogie pianists. My new fan didn’t
buy it, but he did want to buy me a drink. While we sipped, he clinked
my glass and said, “This is the first time I ever sat down and had a
drink with a black man.”
Why? “I’m a member of the Ku Klux Klan,”
he said. I burst out laughing. Then he handed me his KKK membership
card, and I recognized the Klan’s symbols. In that moment, I was
overcome by a question: How could anybody hate me when they didn’t even
was no stranger to racism. Having grown up a black person in the ’60s
and ’70s, I knew that prejudice was common. But I had never understood
why. Sitting in that lounge with my new friend, I decided to figure it
out in the only way that made sense: By getting to know those who felt
hostility toward black people without ever having known any.
years later, I recruited that man, whose name was Frank James, to put
me in contact with the grand dragon of the Maryland Klan. He tried to
deter me, warning that the leader would kill me. But eventually, after I
promised not to reveal how I’d gotten the grand dragon’s contact
information, James gave it to me.
By then I had decided to
travel around the country and interview KKK leaders and members from
various chapters and factions to get the answer to my question: How can
you hate someone you’ve never met? I was planning to write a book
detailing my interviews, experiences and encounters with these Ku Klux
Klan members. (The book, “Klan-Destine Relationships,” was published in 1998.)
had my white secretary, who typically booked my band and assisted me
with my music business, set up a meeting with the Maryland grand dragon,
explaining that her boss was writing a book on the Klan and would like
his input. Per my instructions, she did not reveal the color of my skin.
grand dragon agreed to participate, and we secured a room at a
Frederck, Maryland motel, where my secretary filled an ice bucket with
cans of soda so I could offer my guest a drink. Regardless of how and
what he felt about me, if he entered my room after seeing the color of
my skin, I was going to treat him with hospitality.
to the minute, there was a knock on the door. The grand nighthawk (the
grand dragon’s bodyguard) entered first, and then the dragon himself.
“Hello,” I began, “I’m Daryl Davis.” I offered my palm, and the dragon
shook my hand as he and the nighthawk introduced themselves. The dragon
sat in the chair I had set out, and the nighthawk stood at attention
were both apprehensive of the other, and the interview started
haltingly. We discussed what he had hoped to achieve by joining the
Klan; what his thoughts were on blacks, Asians, Jews and Hispanics; and
whether he thought it would ever be possible for different races to get
along. A little while later, we heard an inexplicable crackling noise
and we both tensed. The dragon and I stared each other in the eye,
silently asking, “What did you just do?” The nighthawk reached for his
gun. Nobody spoke. I barely breathed.
Seated atop the
dresser, my secretary realized what had happened: The ice in the bucket
had started to melt, causing the soda cans to shift. It happened again,
and we all began laughing. From there, the interview went on without a hitch.
was a perfect illustration that ignorance breeds fear and possibly
violence. An unknown noise in an ice bucket could’ve led to gunfire, had
we not taken a moment to understand what we were encountering.
though the grand dragon, who now prefers not to be named, had told me
he knew that white people were superior to blacks, our dialogue
continued over the years. He would visit me in my home, and I would
eventually be a guest in his. We would share many meals together, even
though he thought I was inferior. Within a couple of years, he rose to
the rank of imperial wizard, the top national leadership position in the
Over the past 30 years, I have come to know hundreds of
white supremacists, from KKK members, neo-Nazis and white nationalists
to those who call themselves alt-right. Some were good people with wrong
beliefs, and others were bad people hellbent on violence and the
destruction of those who were non-Aryan.
There was Bob White, a
grand dragon for Maryland who served four years in prison for conspiring
to bomb a synagogue in Baltimore, where he had been a police officer.
When he got out, he returned to the Klan and later went back to prison
for three more years for assaulting two black men with a shotgun,
evidently intent on murder. But after I reached out to him with a letter
while he was in prison for the second time, Bob became a very good
friend, renounced the Klan and attended my wedding.
Wizard Frank Ancona, who headed one of the largest Klan groups in the
country, would also become a very close friend. When Frank was killed
this year (his wife and stepson have been charged with his murder), one
of his Klan members, knowing how close we had been, called me and told
me before notifying the police. I accepted the Klan’s invitation to
participate in his funeral service.
weeks after this summer’s violent clash in Charlottesville, I was
invited by the leaders of the Tennessee and Kentucky chapters of
Ancona’s branch of the Klan to speak at their national Konvocation. I
accepted, spoke and took audience questions after the lecture. Whether
or not anyone there immediately changed their minds, we talked as people
— and we all benefitted from that.
I am not so naive as to think
everyone will change. There are certainly those who will go to their
graves as hateful, violent racists. I never set out certain that I would
convert anyone. I just wanted to have a conversation and ask, “How can
you hate me when you don’t even know me?” What I’ve learned is that
whether or not I’ve changed minds, talking can still relieve tensions.
I’ve seen firsthand that when two enemies are talking, they are not
fighting. They may be yelling and beating their fists on the table, but
at least they are talking. Violence happens only when talking has
And sometimes, people do change. One day in 1999, after
having been in the Ku Klux Klan for about 20 years, the Klan leader
from the motel interview, whom I watched go from grand dragon to
imperial wizard, called me, said he was leaving the Klan and apologized
for having been a member. He told me he could no longer hate people. I
had not turned out to be what he had always thought of black people. He
went on to become one of my best friends, and today I own his robe and
hood — one set of many in my collection of garments donated to me by
apostate Klansmen and Klanswomen,
So I recently got my ultralight wheelchair and smart drive. And in the smart drive like, product video it shows this guy zipping through the grocery store with wheelchair and smart drive and so today I was like “I gotta try that!!!”.
So I was grocery shopping and testing this out, and it was working super well!! So I’m just zooming around the store doing my shopping with my wheelchair and grocery cart and wearing my little mermaid fishscale tights. Because they’re awesome and my favorite and when I sit in the enterprise which is the name of my wheelchair, the little seashells on my knee show up. And I’m going to point out at this point in the story that I have been approached by full grown adults asking me if they were tattoos, so yeah these tights make it look like I’ve got some scales going on.
And then there was this kid in a bright pink Minnie Mouse dress who was staring at me. And I mean SERIOUSLY STARING to the point where the kid was lagging way behind the accompanying adults. And so like, I look little Minnie Mouse straight in the eye, whisper “mermaids really can’t walk that well you know” and wink at the kid. This kid’s eyes get like SUPER HUGE and then suddenly the kid goes tearing around the corner presumably to find those accompanying adults and I’m still cracking up nearly an hour later. It totally made my day omg.
51) A jikook compilation wouldn’t be a compilation without THE back hugs.
Hands on waist…
Chin on shoulder…
52) Not long after Jimin tweeted a pic of ramen, Jungkook indirectly replied to him by posting FOUR selcas of him along with a message telling him his ramen looked bland. idk about you but i found this interaction cute.
53) The artistic couple.The muscle pig and manggaetteok drawings that were featured in Snow App. They even drew the chicken drawings on the menu at Isac. I can imagine them sitting and drawing random things together. ㅠㅠ
54) Jimin posted not one but three videos on Jungkook’s birthday, which means he wished Jungkook three times on SNS and made my head spin thrice.
55) Jimin and Jungkook took photos of each other sleeping.
56) When Jungkook thought there was no camera around when they were rounding the corner so he went up to Jimin and slid his hand around his waist. Little did he know they got caught on camera. I’d like to thank Yoongi’s vj for this awesome footage.
57) The many times Jimin has summoned Jungkook for Armys. In simpler words, Jungkook always tweets something after Jimin, and we all know how seldom he appears on Twitter.
58) “hyung has cute toes” Okay but like who lingers around his friend’s photo shoot and randomly blurts out that he has cute..toes????
59) The look! Jungkook’s expression when he’s feeding Jimin earns him a spot on this list haha. Tbh They’re kinda like eyefucking eo when jimin’s being fed. look at Jimin’s eyes.Apart from that I like how Jungkook fed him.
61) How can I miss this? Jikook in Japan..this one has a special place in my
heart. Back in 2016, it had been just a casual
discussion between me and my friends
on kakao. Never thought jikook would continue displaying PDA every single time they go to Japan. What’s more when they have very strict no-camera policy during concerts.
62) The amount of heart eyes they shoot at each other.
63) When they had a dinner date in the dorm to promote Mala Hot Chicken. What baffled me was that Jungkook mentioned beforehand he wanted to sleep but he still accompanied Jimin. I’m soft.
64) Jimin has made it very apparent, truly obvious that he likes jungkook. Whether it’s liking him as a dongsaeng, or just someone he’s extremely comfortable with, Jimin always, without failing, reminds us who he dotes on. “Why do I like you so much?” Lately, I’ve been crazy because I like Jungkook so much. I think of this as a start of something beautiful, and I am so glad Jimin didn’t even hesitate in expressing his feelings towards the maknae. I think this might have helped jungkook unwind. Look at jungkook now. That’s some character development right there :)
65) Massage. Quoted line from AHL mentor, Tony Jones “They are very touchy feely and to them, it’s nothing. I’d walk into the room and Suga’s massaging V’s neck or Jimin’s giving Jungkook an intimate back massage..”
66) When Jungkook bent down so he would get closer to Jimin and put the rein-kook headband on Jimin’s head. They’re separated a lot of times during fansigns but somehow they managed to get tgt at the end.
67) When Jungkook blows a kiss, then turns to Jimin whose lips are puckered and does the same to him, using the same fingers he used earlier. Okay I’ve been meaning to say this. Realistically speaking, if you pucker your lips and you put your fingers on them, wouldn’t your saliva stick to your fingers? I’m not trying to imply anything here, just genuinely asking haha. 140529 Ameba Studio
68) When a webtoon artist gave Jimin two dolls, but Jimin decided to give one to Jungkook. She even posted a webtoon of them. To be honest who wouldn’t?
69) *screams to the people in the back* ALL-NIGHTER FRIENDS!!! As written by the man himself, “ALL the time, it’s just the two of us doing something at night. I don’t know what we do”
70) Jungkook scribbling hearts all over Jimin’s birthday drawing. He’s one whipped man.
71) Just other instances Jungkook and Jimin flirting on stage.
//gif above isn’t mine//
72) When Jimin and Jungkook chose each other when asked “if you were a girl, who would you date?”
73) The shocking fact that Jungkook demanded an apartment from Jimin as a graduation gift. Like, apartment? of all things? What kind of domesticity is this?
74) The way Jungkook takes care of Jimin even though he’s the younger one, and how Jimin is there when he’s the one seeking comfort.
75) I will never forget the Gayo Back hug, ever. I’ve mentioned back hug somewhere above, but this is different.This deserves a point of its own.
76) When Jimin took off one of his rings at the airport and gave it to jungkook.
77) When Jungkook stopped in front of Jimin during his part in For You at Osaka concert, and kind of directed the lyrics for Jimin. Jimin just couldn’t stop smiling afterward :((( The lyrics are: It smells like you The road that I walk on I plug my earphone to my status My true feelings lie beyond there
78) When Jimin and Jungkook steered away from the bunch and instead opted for some alone on the cruise. people say you smile the brightest when you’re with someone you love, yes?
79) The fact that Jimin wanted to become napa cabbage after seeing Kook dressed up as a bunny, so he could eat him, albeit choosing to be cheese initially. What even is that statement lol 👣
80) The morph of their dynamic. I kind of miss their old moments, when Jimin was bolder, more carefree, and Jungkook seemed to be too shy to reciprocate. (on camera). Now they have matured. They have grown up well. A wave of nostalgia sweeps over me. The transition of their relationship is extremely beautiful.
81) When Jimin became Jungkook’s makeup artist for a day, hovering around the set, even drawing a pic of a bird that’s used as a prop later.
82) their size difference might be exaggerated at times, but you really can’t deny that it is cute, even if it’s not much.
83) When Jungkook changed the lyrics in Spring Day to Jimin. Like a small piece // Of Jimin // That floats in the air
84) When Jungkook showed to the world what a sweet boyfriend he is,making jimin laugh, sitting him on his lap, hugging him on his birthday. Sweet sweet jungkookie.
85) Let’s state the obvious- 21CG choreos!!! i love how they evolved, just like their remarkable, legendary nmd lift.
86) Their sensual dance covers.
87) When Jungkook guides and encourages Jimin during games/missions.
88) The many times Jimin has been spotted wearing Jungkook’s clothes, despite the well-known fact that Jungkook doesn’t share clothes. Newsflash: Jungkook wears Jimin’s too!
89) We know Jungkook knows Jimin like the back of his hand, but that doesn’t mean that Jimin knows any less. I think they spend time together way too much.👣
90) How often the word “JIMIN” trips off Jungkook’s tongue- this what fascinates me the most. At one time he even mistook Jin for Jimin.
91) Jimin’s eagerness to kiss Jungkook for his Coming of Age, being the first one to hold out a hand for a game of Rock Paper Scissors. Bon Voyage season 1
92) When Jimin waited over an hour for Kook to finish filming BTS Flower Boy mini drama, even though he’d finished his part. Jimin couldn’t even stay mad at him for not telling, like how fond is he?
93) The fact that Jungkook is more than comfortable speaking in banmal with Jimin.He once said in Idol Party that he prefers talking in jeondaetmal (polite language) with his hyungs but look at the amount of times he’s dropped the honorific and called Jimin by his name. uhm, let’s talk about treating the other as equals?
94) Jimin and Jungkook, the human embodiment of Piske Usagi.
95) When Jungkook’s bro drew Jungkook as Muzi and Jimin as Con, the inseparable duo on Kakao. Bro knows. 👣
96) In Kkul FM 2016, When Jungkook and Jimin nearly intertwined their fingers . Scoffs bh seemed to think it’s okay to abruptly cut off their scene. What intrigues me most is that they weren’t even looking but their hands still somehow managed to find their way around. Also other instances they hold hands. I love how Jungkook’s slightly bigger hands envelop Jimin’s smaller ones. *Jimin’s pinky tho!*
97) How they’re destined to meet. The fact that they’re both from Busan, have matching moles, Jungkook’s bro named Junghyun and Jimin’s bro named Jihyun..imagine what would’ve happened had Jimin not been the last one to enter Bangtan.
98) When Jimin said he’d be looking at the ocean with Jungkook but Jungkook straight up rejected him and chose to go on a trip with his bro instead. It was quite a strong statement but a moment later Jungkook proved it wrong by reaching out and squeezing Jimin’s hand underneath the table, kinda like a reassurance that it’s all part of a joke. He cares. He truly does.
99) During Jin’s birthday prank at MAMA, these two couldn’t keep their hands off each other. The moment they entered the bathroom, they almost shut everything out-talking to themselves, picking on the cake- until the members gave them the signal to stop w/e they’re doing. Months later Mama kindly revealed another footage, this time consisting of just them, in the bathroom, jungkook right in the middle of buttoning up his jacket, wearing nothing underneath. How was I supposed to sit still?
100) When Jungkook and Jimin take skinship to a whole new level, or simply put, the times Jikook makes us question the real intention behind their acts and excessive skinship.
101) Last but not least, Perhaps my all time favorite moment- When Jungkook was caught observing Jimin’s every move, literally had his eyes only on him.
(Mark 1:17 onward)
I super love this video bc the song chosen matched so well with the situation- like they wanted to reach out but couldn’t so they stayed put, could only observe the other from far…
and that’s it! thank you, you made it to the bottom of this post! In short, everything about jikook makes me feel content. I had thought of doing more but despite my brain literally screaming at me “Include this! You forgot this!”, I had to stick to 101. Anyway, I hope this mends your longing hearts. Have a lovely day! Thank you for reading!
Bonus because I have to:
when the members revealed on BTS KKul FM 2017 that Jungkook bought a birthday present only for Jimin.Am I your favorite hyung?
When Jungkook, the youngest in the group, called Jimin who is 2 years older than him a baby. 애기야가자 !
But she is an awesome character, who is very complex and strays away froom the traditional YA “goodness” we usually encounter, so I very much respect her.
So it very much pisses me off when people have grown so used to the idea that women (especially those we read about) must be pure of heart, that they lose respect for complex, dark, and not necessarily good female characters.
It is much like how people react to Aelin, a cocky, smug, intelligent female character, who, if she were male, you all would be fawning over.
The things you respect and love Kaz Brekker for, you shame and mock Aelin Galathynius for.
You enjoy it when characters are complex . At least, when they’re male.
You enjoy it when a character has a bit of darkness in them.
Unless they are female.
You write AU’s with dark!male characters, but when a female is written with those characteristics that you so love, you are repulsed.
You love the intelligence and scheming that is written for a male, but when a female shows it… That is when the internalized misogyny rears its ugly head.
So when you hate on Nesta for being a bit selfish, or cold, look at the characters you idolize or cherish.