Okay so seeing Wonder Woman was literally eye-opening for me. I always knew that movies, action movies in particular, are really sexist towards women. I just didn’t realize how bad it was until I saw a superhero movie directed by a woman.
In almost every movie I’ve seen, the woman was always the damsel in distress or just some lousy love interest. And in action movies, mainly superhero movies, the camera is always focused on the woman’s boobs while she’s fighting. Yes, I’m mainly talking about Black Widow in the Avengers movies.
But in Wonder Woman, there were no close-up shots of her boobs while she was fighting. In fact, I don’t think that any woman even showed her cleavage, at all. They weren’t sexualized in any way.
And all of the women looked like real people. There were women with big muscles, women with scars, there were women with thick thighs and arms that would jiggle when they were fighting, there were dark skinned women. They didn’t just all look like the stereotypical super thin white girls that you usually see in big movies.
The flirting was also very minimal. There were almost no romantic scenes at all.
And none of the men tried to undermine or belittle the women, and when they did Diana would just start talking about how she could do things better than them.
And the fight scenes. They were so amazing. They didn’t try to make the women look super pretty while doing it. No, they were full on fighting. Nasty, brutal, screams-of-pure-rage fighting.
But she always had a reason for fighting, and she always did it because she genuinely believes in hope and peace and protecting innocent people and people who can’t fight for themselves.
This movie sends out so many great messages for little girls, saying that you can fight for what you believe in and even if you don’t succeed the first time, not to give up because it is always worth it in the end.
Like I was thinking about it in the movie theater. For some little girls, Wonder Woman is their first superhero. There are little girls who will grow up with this movie and cherish it because it is the first and only movie with a lead female superhero. There are little girls who will grow up thinking that they want to do some good in this world, just like she did. I almost cried during several parts in the movie just thinking about that.
So please, for the love of all things good, please go see this movie. Not only is it a huge deal for women and girls now, it will be for generations to come.
AU where Until Dawn is an award winning movie and all the characters are actors in it. Just imagine.
Josh and Chris aren’t allowed to do interviews alone together for reasons that no one is allowed to say
Sam constantly brings the cast and crew coffee and hot chocolate every time they shoot in the snow
Bloopers of Mike constantly falling on his face as he’s doing his “heroic” run to save Jessica
Jess in the background laughing at him every time he falls on his face
“Fuck nuggets”, “Scared the blue out of my jeans”, “Jesus hot sauce Christmas cake”, and everyone other creative curse was completely improvised by Mike
Emily accidentally hitting Ashley while filming the slap-scene and Emily freaking out and apologizing
Theres a tabloid rumor that Mike and Matt hate each other and got into a fist fight on set, when really they just had a heated argument over who gets the last donut (Josh stole it while they fought)
Josh and Jess constantly forgetting their lines
Ashley going out of her way to meet fans and sign pictures for them
Mike taking every sexist question that Jess gets during interviews
Chris doing the same for Ashley and Josh doing the same for Sam
Matt not needing to do that, because Emily can handle the situation on her own
Matt visiting sick fans in the hospital
Hannah and Beth being famous twin actors, and the marketing purposefully misdirected it so it looked like Beth and Hannah were the leads to make their “deaths” more shocking
Josh and Hannah staying in their “villain” makeup (ie the psycho mask and wendigo makeup) and hiding in people’s trailers to scare them
Matt and Jess, during their first interview together, ended it with Jess beatboxing and Matt freestyle rapping. It becomes the most liked video on youtube
Emily being the queen of dubsmash, and it spreading to the whole cast constantly doing them inbetween shots
The guys having paintball games in between scenes and Ashley and Sam joining in only to destroy them
There’s several bloopers of Josh and Chris leaning forward about to kiss only to start laughing
“what were all thinking it” is Josh’s reasoning for ruining so many shots
Interviewer: “Who was your favorite member to shoot with?”Beth: “My sister of course. She’s my best friend and I wouldn’t want to do this without her”.Hannah: “Awww… mine was Mike”
Interviewer: “What was your favorite scene to shoot?”. Ashley: “The Saw scene since it was so intense and and special effects were so amazing that it looked so real”. Chris: “When i got to kiss Ashley”*Smirks*
Sam confirming the fan theory that her character is gay
Interviewer: “Which fate would you want, death or wendigo?”Josh: “how about a happy ending for my character instead”
i still can’t get over the ‘thank you you were amazing’ scene because?? if someone told me that i am amazing as a person?? as a whole being and not because of a skill? what the fuck i would literally die,, i am not over it and never will be. neil thought that he is never going to see andrew again and his last words to him were like that. telling him how amazing he was. and before that nobody appreciated andrew. im sorry i just
And it was the perfect marriage of my two favorite genres, the superhero movie and the war movie. So I’m going to nerd out for a minute.
- Diana kicks so much ass in this movie, she is unquestionably the star and her fight scenes are so cool. Just beautifully choreographed and stunning.
- The sound design on this movie is really good, every time the Wonder Woman theme played I got chills. And there is one moment where the German general touches Dr. Poison’s face implants and it makes the sound that ceramic makes and it was such a small detail but it stuck out to me.
- Steve Trevor is perfect. I have nothing else to say I’m just in love with him.
- The side characters all had very small roles but they were so memorable. Like I got enough of what I wanted from all of them and I really liked them. They all had a moment, the Amazons, Etta, Steve’s squad, but they never took over the movie for me nor were they superfluous.
- Diana deserves to be happy and I love her so much.
On note of some of the War stuff that I loved so so much:
- They use grenades correctly!!!!!!!!!!
• Which is so huge they never do that in moves but when they actually want to use bombs they use bombs and not grenades that just happen to explode fire and not shrapnel.
- The bunkers were so cool and the no mans land scene was amazing!!! It looked so perfect.
• I had moment when they took over a village that this worked perfectly as a war movie, like it fit with say Band of Brothers. The way it was filmed was so fitting.
- I truly believe that this was a war fought with normal people trying their best that just happened to have a superhero dropped into it.
- This movie really understands WW1. Like the way people felt and acted about and in the war. The environment, the weapons, the politics, and, most importantly, the changing understanding of war. It felt like it respected the conflict.
- Which, as much as I love that movie and I do, is something captain America the first avenger didn’t do. It got the comic book part, but not the actual war. It understood the cheesy, obvious aspects of WWII, punching nazis and fighting for good and freedom, but the larger conflict the larger moral lessons and feeling of that war was left unexplored. Which is not something I begrudge. They made a superhero movie for my favorite marvel hero which I loved. But Wonder Woman actually made a war movie. And I love and respect that so much.
- CONCLUSION: WONDER WOMAN is so great. It’s spectacular and I love it and I’m gonna see it a thousand more times. It’s the kind of movie I can watch over and over again and if this is DC going forward I want to see more! Go see Wonder Woman!!!