you got me to ship shiro/matt, probably the most unpopular ship/biggest rarepair in the fandom i want to mcfucking die
I think you’d be surprised!! There seems to be a lot of Shatt shippers out there… Y’all just don’t say anything lmfao.
The problem w Shatt is that we have so little to work off??? There’s maybe like… Three minutes, max, of solid interaction between them lmao. You can create only so many headcanons about their relationship pre-Kerberos before you start overlapping with other people. I suppose I can write some post-reunion headcanons though, lmao.
- Because this is a kid’s cartoon, I’d like to imagine that the Voltsquad hears rumors of a rebellion on one of the Galra claimed planet so they show up to recruit allies, and surprise! Matt and Commander Holt are the badasses who have been organizing a planet-wide rebellion. Pidge is so proud of their family. Matt and Commander Holt are like “FUCK YEAH, THAT’S OUR KATIE.”
- Lotsa happy tears from everyone. Pidge hugs their father and brother, and all three pull Shiro into the group hug because fuck it- Shiro is an honorary Holt family member. Hunk watches this reunion and tears up a lil (”This is so beautiful!!” he sobs) and he has to join them, Lance, this is an important team bonding moment!!!
- Lance, who is The Family Man, is like “Wow this reminds me of my own left behind family haha I’m tearing up except I’m not, scooch over jerks I’m joining this hug” and because he has an image to maintain he drags Keith in and. Crying family hugs. Found family. Everyone loves the Holts.
- Okay sorry this is like really Gen, time to zoom in on Shiro and how he is the ULTIMATE Holt Family Stan™
- Shiro would be like… insistent that Pidge gets all the time in the world to catch up with their missing family. Because Shiro has seen both sides to the Holt tragedy.
- He was with Matt and the Commander during their captivity, when they all thought they would die. Matt and the Commander told Shiro stories about Mrs. Holt and Pidge that lasted for hours.
- And after he was rescued, Shiro finally met Pidge and he saw how much Pidge missed their family, how much Pidge was hurting because of Zarkon.
- So basically, Shiro LOVES it when the Holts are safe, and he wants to square up with Zarkon as soon as possible, Meet Me In The Pit @ Zarkon.
- Shiro would be constantly checking up on the Holts, making sure they’re comfortable, that sort of thing. Matt and the Commander would have to recover from months of imprisonment, so they would probably have to spend a few weeks in the healing pods. Shiro and Pidge would visit every day, usually for hours on end.
- Sometimes Pidge/Shiro would sit in silence doing their own thing, sometimes they would talk to the pods the way you talk to coma patients, etc. It would just… Be their moment of peace and downtime.
- The Commander would thank Shiro for protecting Matt in the gladiator ring and basically the two men would spend a couple hours crying together and validating the shit out of each other. And then the Commander would pat Shiro on the back and be like “You’re a good kid, Shiro. I’m glad to have you as a future son-in-law” and Shiro is like “lol, what?”
- Commander Holt: Shiro, it took us months to get to Kerberos, and we were on a really small spaceship. Believe me when I say you and Matt weren’t that subtle with your flirting.
Commander Holt: Unless you’ve moved on, which is fine! Just… Let Matt know, please. I know he still cares about you. I don’t want either of you to get hurt.
Commander Holt: … Shiro?
Shiro: I gotta gay- gotta go talk to Matt. Um. I saw Pidge in the kitchen earlier? Bye, Commander Holt!
- Shiro would like… subtly ask Allura/Coran if they could make some stops at planets that are known for their advanced tech, because he knows that Matt would get a kick out of it. Except Shiro never asks for anything, so within an hour EVERYONE knows that Shiro and Matt will be going on a date to a flea market on some random planet. And of course, word gets back to Matt before Shiro can actually ask him out lmao
- Shiro: (nervously entering the room) Hey Matt, I was just wondering if you-
Matt: (equally nervous) YES I WILL GO OUT WITH YOU!
Shiro: G-great? Okay! Thanks!
- Shiro, later, to Pidge: WHY DID I SAY THANKS.
- Back when they were prisoners together, Matt and Shiro would comfort each other with little ‘presents.’ An extra handful of food, a piece of cloth that could act as a bandage for whenever the guards got a little too rough, tiny but meaningful things like that. Now that they’re both free, Matt and Shiro basically gift each other with the most random shit.
- It won’t even be useful things?? Shiro gives Matt half of a broken kids toy he found on some alien planet. Matt is touched.
- Pidge: He literally just gave you garbage??
Matt: It’s the emotion that gives the present a special meaning.
Pidge: It smells.
Matt: I’m a man in love Pidge, I see everything with rose-tinted glasses. Let me have this.