unnecessary and immersion-breaking gender issues in the Elder Scrolls:
- all the Greybeards were men
- we talked to a number of dragons in the main Skyrim game + DLC. they were all ostensibly male
- Briarhearts were all men. What the FUCK.
- Uriel had four kids and ALL were sons??? really???
- Five god-kings (including Nerevar) and only one was a woman.
- Only one of the Fighters’ Guild’s four leaders was a woman, and while she was the head, she was also the one who stepped down at the end.
- the Aureals and the Mazken. There were a few male Shivering Isles guardians, but nearly all were women. I’m not against this in theory, but the Mazken were also called “Dark Seducers” vs. the Aureals’ nickname of “Golden Saints”. Also, the imagery of the Mazken, who exposed their bodies and were guardians of Dementia, vs. the Aureals who wore heavy armor that exposed less skin (although still more than you’d want if you’re fighting, jeez) had negative implications for women who have sex, like they’re “impure”…and, you know “hysterical”. historically mentally unstable. Which is messed up on several dozen levels.
- ARMOR. FUCKING ARMOR. WHAT THE FUCK. I killed this rotten asshole Tyrellius outside of Bruma. he wears a chainmail cuirass that covers everything up to his neck with a mock-turtle leather collar. his sleeves go down to his wrists. I take his cuirass and put it on. it has magically lost its sleeves. it has a scoop neck. there’s even a tiny cleavage slit where someone with decent aim could shove a sword right through my solar plexus. I am so dead. not to mention forsworn armor. and this is all vanilla game stuff!
- the knights of the nine were all men.
feel free to add more