You need to lay off Scott McCall if...
- You think that he deserves punishment or retribution for treating Derek in a way similar to how Derek treated him in season 1
- You call him a potato or use any other kind of ableist language to describe his intelligence
- The things you get on his case for are things that you don’t rag on other characters for doing
- You seriously don’t think that he’s the main protagonist of Teen Wolf or that Stiles/Derek/Peter would be a better focus
- When people mention how society’s history of racism ties into Scott being shat on by most of fandom, you go “i’m not racist/i don’t have to be racist to dislike Scott” but then list reasons that you’d never use to tear down a white character in the same show
- You have more sympathy for Peter Hale (niece murderer) than you do Scott (baby werewolf)
- You feel like Scott is shaping up to be a serious murderous villain worse than Peter (despite not killing anyone in 2.5 seasons)…
- At the same time you use Peter’s quote about Scott being morally bland to make fun of him/talk about why you prefer “morally gray” characters like Derek/Stiles/Peter (two of whom are actual murderers so…)
- You tear Scott (and Scott fans) a new hole for his behavior but react negatively when anyone points out Stiles behaving badly on the show (or you make excuses based on Stiles being “just a kid that’s gone through a lot of stuff”).
Fandom needs to cool it with the Scott hate. The majority of the vitriol posted doesn’t even have anything to do with the show itself as though people aren’t watching the actual episodes but are instead muting the TV and making up their own plot.
If you honestly think that there’s no way that loads of hate that Scott and Tyler Posey receives isn’t a) unwarranted and b) highly dependent on how POC in fandom are treated even when they’re fictional characters, you need to sit and think about your behavior.
Because there’s a difference between being critical of a character and being hypocritical about a character and I honestly don’t think that the Teen Wolf fandom knows the difference when it concerns Scott.