WHAT IS THIS, 2007?! I really enjoy the thought that Ramsay would be one of those dudes who will always believe that Lucky Star is the only right way to introduce people to anime. He tried to watch Nichijou but he spent the whole time really cut up about (ha ha, cut up about) how it just wasn’t the same
Anyway I JUST WANTED TO DRAW A COMIC ABOUT THE DREADFORT SECRETLY BEING AN ANIME CLUB HQ AND ALSO THEON GETTING VERY INVESTED IN KYOANI SLICE-OF-LIFE SHOWS, IS THAT SO WRONG (…probably)
My eventual endgame for this is to have Theon turn into GSNK’s Mikorin don’t tell me that’s not perfect
I recently did some research on romanticism and discovered that Theon is kind of a romantic hero. A lot of aspects of romanticism can be found in his character. There are tons of different “definitions” of what a romantic hero is exactly. People don’t seem to entirely agree on it, but these are some of the elements that came back most frequently:
The romantic hero is young and possesses youthfull qualities:
When we meet him, Theon is around 19 years old. He is naive and he tends to romanticize his ideas of the future. He also often makes rash emotional decisions that don’t lead to anything good. Multiple people (especially Ramsay) take advantage of this impulsiveness. They see an opportunity and manipulate him into doing what they want.
soooo…. it’s Theon week and this is my contribution for the first day. there will be more later on but for now you’ll have to do with this :)
So Theon has been hurt a lot in his life and has, in turn caused a lot of hurt. but he’s the one who feels guilty about it. no one feels guilty about hurting him. all Theon did, he did with a reason. Theon is inherently a good person. He cares about others. but society told him that that was a bad thing! that he couldn’t care, should enjoy violence, that stealing and raping is ok. So he pretends that he’s exactly that person society tells him he should be, cause in his eyes he’s not an accomplished person if he’s not violent. He’s too good to fit into Pyke. If things had been different he could have been a hero but the very unfair world of a song of ice and fire treated him like crap, and as a result he fought back in all the wrong ways and destroyed himself in the process.
Right people, it’s almost here! So, here we go with a reminder and the rules list:
1) Theon Greyjoy appreciation week Christmas special edition is running from December 16th to December 23rd. If you want to participate (we want you to!) just post your fanwork during that timeframe and tag it#theonweek - the mods will reblog it on this url in timely fashion. If we don’t do it after one day you’re welcome to send us an ask with the link and we’ll rectify.
2) Any type of media is welcome - we have tags for fan art, edits, fanfic, fanmixes and meta, but if you’d like a different medium we’ll create a tag when we see it.
3) As long as the fan work in question is Theon-centered, everything else goes - every ship/threesome/gen relationship is perfectly cool. The ones that are currently on the tags page are the ones we figured could/would be more popular and that have been written during the last round, but if some other pairing shows up we’ll tag it accordingly.
4) You don’t have to host it on tumblr - if you want to put your fic/meta/else on AO3 or LJ or whatever other platform you wish just put the link in the tumblr post. Or if you don’t have a tumblr account send us an ask with the link and we’ll make the post for it.
5) Only limit: if your fanworks contain possibly triggering content i.e. torture, abuse, rape, NSFW pictures and so on, please tag it at the moment of posting it so that we can add the proper trigger warnings when reblogging it. (With limit I mean just the tagging - for the content go wild with whatever you want.)
7) We’ll happily ignore/use the block button in case wank happens - not that we think that anyone participating would do it, but in case random haters drop by, don’t even bother.
8) For any questions/suggestion/contribution/you name it, please feel free to send us a message - anon is enabled on the ask box. Otherwise you can reach us at our individual blogs aka janiedean and queenasha.
We think all Theon fans will agree when we say that Theon Greyjoy does not get enough love. His tag is a mess, and it can sometimes be hard to find fics, graphics and meta under the sea of hate. Sadly, this is only likely to get worse as the season progresses, so lets do something about it!
Between the 12th and the 19th of May, janiedean and queenasha will be hosting Theon Week. Our goal is to use our combined creativity to make the Theon Greyjoy tag a better place, and to show our appreciation for Theon as a character.
How to participate:
Make Theon fanworks! Fanfic, mixes, art, graphics, meta… anything you can think of!
Tag everything #Theonweek (We will of course be tracking the #Theonweek tag and reblogging everything here)
Signal boost! We want as many participants as possible
Questions? Either put them in the #Theonweek tag or send us an ask, and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
I see a lot of people complaining that Theon’s stuff this season is just torture and nothing else and how they’re waiting for “something to happen”. Well honestly Theon’s story at this point doesn’t operate like it did last season. He is in a passive position as opposed to being the active one in his story. I assume the people making these complaints have not read the books. Well without saying too much Theon leaves the story for ASOS and AFFC and once we see him again in ADWD we learn of what happened to him over this course of time. What the show is doing is allowing us to get a look at it while it happens, as opposed to going the route George went. I’ve elaborated more on this in the past, if you aren’t afraid of spoilers you can read it here. But just because Theon isn’t in an active role in his story does not mean “nothing happens”. Sansa currently has a more passive role within her story, but that doesn’t mean its pointless and taking away from someone else’s screen time. With Theon they are laying the groundwork for a very complex relationship he shares with another character, they are allowing Alfie Allen the chance to push himself, they are showing the psychological ramifications of his torture and that is extremely important later on. Theon has a very complex and emotionally charged story. Its not based in actions so much as I feel its based in emotional changes and thoughts. His mental state is what pulls you in and effects you the most. He’s not like Jon Snow who does have a fair amount of action to his chapters. Theon’s story does have action at times and he does become the active one within it, but right now he isn’t and that matters. I can understand finding the torture hard to watch and even pushed too far (personally I think this week overstepped a boundary of mine considering that was something only suggested within the text). But we need this to be shown. We need his scenes to allow a glimpse at something that was only explained as a recollected memory via internal monologues. Otherwise we go several seasons without him and the next time he appears things will be confusing to a show only audience.
I hope this helps. I hope some show only fans get the chance to see this. Because honestly I’m a little tired of people writing “these Theon scenes are so pointless and gross, can’t he just escape already”. I understand a show only crowd won’t know later events and find it hard to accept this is being done for little reason beyond that it amuses someone (its true, he is only doing this for his own pleasure). But really, I hope people who haven’t read the books see this and get the message that I and several others have been trying to send.