a few lance headcanons
these gt kinda heavy, whoops (tw for anxiety just to be safe)
- lance usually doesn’t use his humor to cover up insecurities he’s genuinely just a funny guy
- but then again…sometimes he does
- he literally has no clue about how to talk about things that legit bother him.
- keith drinks the last bit of juice? he’ll pull out the dramatics and oh-woe-is-me’s for a solid 30 mins
- but ask him if he’s okay even if he’s not? nah. he’ll make a joke about how “i’m fine! in more ways than one *wink*” and avoid talking about it
- he actually really does love himself a lot and thinks he looks great and knows he’s got certain skills but that doesn’t seem to connect in his brain sometimes and he has genuine bouts of sudden intense insecurity
- he tends to squash these down instead of riding them out or talking to someone about it, which just makes it worse tbh but hey who’s complaining not him he’s fine
- he’s self-centered when it comes to small, surface level things, sure. he’ll steal pidge’s headphones or block your view of a tv screen or eat the last snack or demand your attention in some way, shape, or form
- but he also is probably the most likely of the team to not hesitate to put himself in legitimate harm’s way to help someone (we see him do this for coran, keith, shiro, and hunk)
- selfish but also selfless you feel
- he’s very much an extrovert and probably was used to talking to or associating with a lot of people in different groups and would get his Attention Bar filled throughout the day in tiny bits and pieces but now he’s got like 6 people and 4 mice to talk to so of course he turned it up a few notches and needs a Lot of attention sometimes.
- he’s used to his family and hunk being accustomed to how he is and his sense of humor and his inflated ego (which is actually kinda fragile: see point number 6) and humoring him, but now suddenly almost no one is and it’s Not Good for him
- but he doesn’t talk about it goddamit lance (see points 3-5)
- he’s actually not THAT bad of a pilot. really. was he originally fighter class? no. but the only reason he performs so badly at times is cause he’s overcompensating.
- he likes to prove he’s good (or even better, the best) and so he ends up putting extra (read: too much) pressure on himself and it affects his performance
- he really just wants someone, anyone, to see how hard he’s trying cause he really is. i promise you if shiro did that proud but silent shoulder touch thing he does to keith to lance just one time he’d be on cloud nine he could die happy
- like of course he’s not just doing this for the glory and that certainly isnt his main motivation by a long shot, but he’s someone who thrives when people acknowledge him. he doesn’t need to be drowning in praise or anything, but a little sprinkle here and there certainly doesn’t hurt
all in all lance is really complex and multifaceted he’s not all insecurity but he’s not all confidence. he’s not all fake smiles, but he’s not all funny one-liners either. he’s not