Barnard Receives Record-Breaking Number of Applications for Class of 2017.
An announcement from Barnard’s offices of Admissions and Media:
1. Following the upward trend in recent years, Barnard College received a record-breaking 5,609 applications for the Class of 2017.
2. This year’s number is a 3% increase from last year and notably, a 31% increase from just five years ago when 4,273 applications were received.
3. The College also received a record number of early decision applications, 599, a 6.8% increase from last year when we received 561. And a 53% increase from five years ago when we received 392.
4. Barnard maintains its standing as the most sought-after women’s college in the U.S.
5. To what do you attribute the overall increase? From Dean of Enrollment Management Jennifer Fondiller “There are so many reasons we continue to attract more and more applicants—the College’s rising profile not only in the U.S. but internationally; our very hands-on and personal approach to recruiting which includes one-on-one interviews during a time when many schools have abandoned the practice; our hugely successful fly-in program that allows low income students to visit the campus; and of course, Barnard’s 124-year history of empowering young women poised to make their mark in New York and beyond.”