Lady Sandrilene fa Toren, by @manosdetrapo for me <3 Including modern au and a cameo from Daja! I like to think that Yasmín taught her a thing or two, and Sandry can’t bear the thought of Daja not knowing how to dance properly if she finds a likable girl in town. Sandry and Daja are the Emelan books by @tamorapierce
Witchlings and Baby Witches, gather ‘round to learn how to cast a simple Circle. You may be wondering, “Why do we cast Circles?” and that can be easily answered! Most of the time, we cast Circles to create a sacred space where our spellwork and rituals can be conducted. There are other various reasons, but you can discover that with time, research, and practice. For this lesson, we are going to focus on creating that sacred space for you.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE CASTING A CIRCLE
**Circles can be cast alone or with others. If you are participating with other witches, you may want to print them off a “script” of what will be said and done that way everyone can participate. Change “I” in the script to “we”, “me” to “us”, and so on and so forth.
**Circles can be cast indoors and outdoors. However, I do caution you not to cast Circles without getting the permission of the person who owns said space, home, property, etc.
**You can decorate and dress up for your Circle casting. Using the appropriate colors, plants, stones, and meaningful objects can aid in powering your Circle. This, however, is not necessary.
**Decide in advance what will be done in the Circle. Make a plan of what you want to do inside your circle, whether it worship, prayer, spellwork, or meditation. Don’t feel rushed and take your time.
**Music may be used to accompany the Circle casting and rituals. I typically choose songs that don’t have words. (I get distracted easily by music.)
**Feel free to customize these words and tailor them to fit your own practices. You can substitute “walls and floors” with “foliage, stones, and ground” if you are casting outside. Names for Gods and Goddesses may be used in place of “Lord and Lady.”
**There is no right way to cast a Circle. There are many traditions that different witches use. Find what you like, experiment and customize your circle casting ritual.
**NOTE** This is just one example of how to cast a Circle (one I used when I was just starting out.)
TOOLS FOR CASTING THE CIRCLE
Candles, incense, matches (or a lighter), representations of the four corners, decorations, an athame (ceremonial knife) or wand.
BASIC CIRCLE CASTING
1. Ground and center, and then lay out where your Circle will be cast. This doesn’t have to be physically marked, but I have seen people use cord, chalk, and candles. (Note: using lit candles can be dangerous. Please take precautions when doing this. We don’t want anyone or anything getting hurt.) I used to create a small altar at the direction North with representations of the four elements.
2. Light incense and candles, and make your announcement: The Circle is about to be cast and I freely stand within to greet my Lady and my Lord.
3. Take one candle in hand and begin walking the Circle. Here, we are acknowledging the Four Quarters (North, South, East, and West.) We will stop at each direction and call out the corresponding greeting found below. For this, we will walk deosil around our Circle. To move deosil is to move in a clockwise (or sunwise) direction. Once you have finished acknowledging the directions, return to North.
–North: I call upon Light and Earth at the North to illuminate and strengthen the Circle. –East: I call upon Light and Air at the East to illuminate and enliven the Circle. –South: I call upon Light and Fire at the South to illuminate and warm the Circle. –West: I call upon Light and Water at the South to illuminate and cleanse the Circle.
4. Return the candle to its rightful place and raise the athame or wand into your hand facing North. Call out: I draw this Circle in the Presence of the Lady and the Lord that They may aid and bless me in my work.
5. Lower the athame or wand and walk deosil once more around the Circle, envisioning a blue light shoot out from the Circle’s boundary. Call out: This is the boundary of the Circle, around me, through walls and floors, above me and below me as a sphere is the Circle cast and consecrated to the Lady and the Lord that They may work with and through Their child, (your name/Craft Name). This Circle is charged by the power of the Ancient Ones! Only love shall enter and leave.
Begin your ritual, spellcasting, meditation, or any other word you wish inside the Circle. Within it, you will be protected. However, a word of caution: if you are a witchling, make sure you do not over exert yourself inside the Circle. Casting any magic can make anyone grow weary or tired, so be aware of how much energy you are expending. Like any magic, it takes time and practice. When you have finished your work, you will open your Circle.
OPENING THE CIRCLE
6. Take the athame or wand in hand both hands facing North. Call out: Lord and Lady, I have been blessed by Your sharing this time with me; watching and guarding me; guiding me here and in all things. I came in love and I depart in love.
7. Raise the athame or wand high in the air in salute. Call out: Love is the Law and Love is the Bond. Merry did I meet, merry do I part, and merry will I meet again. The Circle is cleansed.
8. Kiss the flat of the blade or the tip of the wand. Here, we will bid farewell to the Quarters and move widdershins. Widdershins, which can be spelled withershins, widershins, widderschynnes, appears to come from German and Lowland Scottish. In German, widersinning means “against the senses”, that is “not the usual”, or “against the grain.” For our purposes, it means to move counter-clockwise. So, we will go from North to West, South, and East. As you move, this would be the time to blow out candles if they are how you laid out your Circle. Once you have finished saying goodbye to the Quarters, return North.
–Depart in peace, Elemental Earth. My blessings take with you! –Depart in peace, Elemental Water. My blessings take with you! –Depart in peace, Elemental Fire. My blessings take with you! –Depart in peace, Elemental Air. My blessings take with you!
9. Raise your arms into the air with athame or wand in hand. Call out: Beings and powers of the visible and invisible, depart in peace! You aid in my work, whisper in my mind, and bless me from the Otherworld. Let there ever be harmony between us. My blessings take with you. The Circle is cleared!
10. Take the athame or wand in hand, and move widdershins once more around the Circle, calling out: The Circle is open yet the Circle remains as its magical power is drawn back into me. The Circle has been cleared. My ritual has ended.
11. Place athame or wand aside, and take a seat on the floor (you may also lie on your back.) Close your eyes and focus on grounding excess energy by touching your palms to the floor. Let the magic in the room (or outdoors) disperse and settle. Take a few deep breaths, open your eyes, and begin cleaning up your space.
I hope all of you find this helpful. Again, Circle casting can be completely tailored and customized for your needs, and you don’t have to cast one this way. It is meant to be a resource for those just starting out. If you have any questions, you can reach me via ASK or by messaging me.
Briar knew the pin that was meant; the boy had showed it to everyone the day before. “Me?” demanded the street rat, horrified. “Nick that piece of flash? There’s no pump worth is Bags as would pay more'n a few copper pennies for it!” “Liar!” cried his accuser. “It cost me two silver crescents!” Briar lifted his eyebrows. “Silver-gilt paint, tin, and a glass pearl? Then you was nicked, and nicked proper.”
Thank you to my absolute favorite author, Tamora Pierce. She is an inspiration and EVERY girl should read her books. It is truly refreshing to find fantasy, adventure books with female protagonists. Yet the heroines are relatable and human-like for all their amazing qualities and magics. Not only that, but it’s the only fantasy book I’ve ever come across to talk about periods in a natural way (and that’s what they are -NATURAL). AND Tammy writes without slut shaming. Continuing the wonder that is Tamora Pierce Novels, we find openly LGBT characters of all kinds and even polyamorous people. Never in any book before have I encountered that. To top it off, her girls are fiercely feminist, without compromising their femininity unless THEY want to. Kel wears a dress every night specifically to remind the boys that she, a girl, is among them. Switching to Tammy’s other realm, an additional must read is Will of the Empress, showing clear references and illusions to rape and rape culture, with our protagonist fighting it every step of the way. To sum up, The Amazing Tamora Pierce is my inspiration and the reason I myself am a feminist. Her characters are strong, independent, and varied. All sorts sexualities, nationalities and personality types are included. Characters from backgrounds of all sorts, with varying abilities, some even suffering PTSD. Strongly recommend to EVERYONE.
A bit of art of Briar Moss from the Circle of Magic books by @tamorapierce. Because of him, plants grew to have special meaning for - and I always imagine them singing during sunny days. From my friend @hasuyawwn
What if when you ascend to godtier and enter a new universe, over time, you physically changed. After all, a lot of gods and mythological figures don’t really look human, at least 100%.
Here are some ideas for looking like proper gods!
— — — Space - Have small, marble sized satellites orbiting them - Skin like polished chrome - Eyes like a galaxy - Their freckles are stars, if you look close enough. They glow at night - Hair that seems infinitely thick - Their freckles are the constellations, the night sky literally looking like them
Time - Each footstep sounds like a deafening, solitary tick on a clock - When walking on grass, the grass springs up. When taking their foot off, it withers and dies before returning to normal
- Their breath creates a heat shimmer effect
- Sand trails from their hands and feet, as if they were disintegrating - An aura of dust
- Patches of rust on their skin - Their irises are gears or mini clocks - Everything seem to stop as they approach
Light - Blood is rainbow technicolor - Their touch makes things shimmer and shine - Their skin is naturally radiant - While touching things, they temporarily turn to gold - They have skin like stained glass
- They glitter gold dust as they walk
Void - Have no body temperature - You can’t sense their presence. You just feel. Nothing. - Pure black eyes - Drips black ink - Dark mist curls around their feet/hands/eyes - Everything they touch grows darker, but if you look closer there’s a subtle glitter to it
- They have a dark aura around them, sometimes manifesting as horrorterror-esque tendrils
- Have an aura of whispers
Heart - Eye colors change depending on mood - Has a visible aura - When their heart is beating hard, everyone hears it - Spirits are visible around them - Multiple arms - Have crystalline skin - Skin like cracked glass
Mind - Teal electricity sparks when they concentrate - Eye contact with them is haunting, like glass shards against your soul. They see through you - When around them your thoughts, ideas, and imagination become visible - Multiple eyes
Hope - Angel wings - a halo - Seems to have angel bodyguards follow them around - Bleed shimmering gold ichor - Their presence sounds like faint bells and chimes - They often have ‘God Ray’ lighting - Their skin looks like polished stone
Rage - Black sclera with purple irises - Demon horns - Dark purple or black veins - A halo of violet light - Their foot steps leave flames - Sharp teeth - Eyes like burning coals - They exhale smoke and embers and have a general smoke aura. Embers cover their shoulders - Cat/snake/pentagram eyes - Black crow/raven/bat wings - Demonic rune tattoos - A voice like thunder
Life - Their hair is a bunch of leaves - Their footsteps make flower bloom - As they walk, flower petals trail from them - Has skin like bark or has scales - Can have any number of animal features like cat ears, a tail, horns, etc - Vines wrap around their limbs - Always seems to be healthier than you are, especially on your best days
Doom - Has a full body tattoo of their skeleton - Lifeless eyes - They don’t bleed
- Plants wither, wilt, and die as they walk past - Their voice is sharp and crisp, like the slamming of a door or the sound of a book hitting the floor
- Skin like cold iron, both in touch and texture - Magic circle tattoos
Breath - Small clouds form at their feet when walking on air - When they yell, the wind howls - Their hair almost like water, gracefully floating and moving
- Their breath is visible like mist or an exhals on a cold day
- As they walk past, they always carry a light breeze - Their hair is made from puffy clouds - Legs turn into gaseous mist - They are incredibly light for the height and weight
Blood - Blood like liquid shimmering ruby - In the dark, their veins glow like molten lava - Their touch feels vaguely familiar - Their eyes are a deep red, looking at them feels like home - They have a warm aura, growing in weight and intensity with their anger.
- Their voice always brings a vague sense of nostalgia of home, in a way you cant quite place
— — — These are just a few of the possibilities and can help steer and direct personal traits and motifs. Of course this is never final or anything, it’s just to help spur ideas
Made partially because I shared my initial Rage list with mod Wren from @prospitsisters s and they started having ideas for others, so naaaturally I had to do stuff for others too.
When I was younger I used to resent tamorapierce for creating the character of Briar Moss because I felt she had raised my expectations of boys/men to be too high. He was my first childhood fictional crush, and even the older men in her books set a standard that I felt later on in my teen years was unrealistically high.
Now that I’m in my late twenties, happily married and re-reading her books, I realise that instead she raised my expectations and my standards to accept nothing less than what I deserve: respect. And that all the boys/men in my life at that point were assholes.
My family taught me “boys will be boys” and that boys being mean was the same thing as boys with a sense of humour.
tamorapierce taught me that respect is mutual, cruelty and humour are not the same thing, sex can be about more than just love, love comes in many different forms, and that you can choose your family. And thank the gods that you can.