The way Belle looks at Adam/The Beast
After watching the movie again…. and again.. and again, i started noticing the different ways Belle looks at Adam (Yes, i’m making a point of calling him by his name from now on) and i felt like i needed to make a post (lengthy post) about it.
1. This is the first time Belle sees Adam. She’s shocked, which we all would be, i mean….. He’s a monster!
2. I wanted to point out the change from the first image to this one. At first glance, Belle is shocked, having never seen anything like him before, but in this one she’s terrified. Her father is being taken away from her by this monster and she feels there’s nothing she can do.
3. FIESTY BELLE! We’d seen a little bit of rebellious Belle early on with Gaston, but this is her proper letting loose. You tell him girl!!
4. The moment of hesitation here always catches me for a second. Is this maybe…just maybe, the first time Belle really feels anything towards Adam? Why would she turn around and help him. True, she’s a nice person, but she gives up her only chance at freedom to help this monster she knows nothing about. Could there be an underlying feeling towards him?
5. Here, we see Belle showing something close to care. Like she feels sorry for Adam, or maybe helpless in making things better. Sharing a similar backstory with their mother dying, maybe this is were she first feels a connection towards him.
6. We all loved this moment. I mean, who wouldn’t fall in love at the sight of a library that big? Speaking of love. That pause, ^, If you just look, the way she stares at him is something a bit more than just laughing at his joke. She’s seeing a change in him, a change that she likes, and it looks as though she’s catching herself before she falls too far.
7. Another long look. What could it mean?!
8. ANNNND another one! Someone is starting to like the look of Adam. Even beneath all that hair and claws.
9. Okay we’ve all done this when we’ve been caught staring at someone we like. Come on Belle! You’re making it too obvious.
10. Yes, this is better, do it at a distance when he can’t see you. (Also, I love the new sequence of scenes for this song)
11. “Still, a romance.” We caught that little glance when he was looking away, you cheeky Belle.
12. Okay, now we can get back into the deeper looks. This is sympathy again. Knowing that a whole world has rejected him, she couldn’t help feeling sorry for him.
13. “Let’s go home.” First off, she called it home! Imagine how that makes Adam feel? That she feels his cursed, dark dusty castle is home. I feel like she really means it, that she’s begging him to take her somewhere that she is happy, and that she has good memories of.
14. Okay, the eyebrow lift, how cute is that. Subtle, but it’s like she’s saying, “I scrub up well… yeah.. i know.” (I must say, a little come hither might be hidden in there somewhere)
15. Disbelief. The way she looks around, thinking to herself “Do i want to go?” “Do i want to leave this play that makes me so happy?” “Do i want to leave him?”
16. This turn. She makes it seem as though she thinks she’ll never see Adam again, but she’s already said thank you, so why turn around again? Was there something else she wanted to say? I think so, but maybe she didn’t know how to voice it, how to tell him, because maybe she didn’t really know either.
17. Fear again. She finally lays eyes on him, and she can see he is injured. What if she won’t be able to tell him how she feels?
18. Shock. This is where the Adam is dragging Gaston towards the edge of the castle wall. The last time we saw shock from Belle was the first time she saw Adam. Maybe she feels fear too that he is becoming what they all think he is….a Beast.
19. I think the she feels nothing here. In her arms is the dying body of the man she cares for. The only thing she can do is reasure him. Tell him it will be okay, all the while trying to convince herself.
20. This is desperation. She’s nearly there, she nearly understands what she is feeling, but she is too late and she knows it. She needs him to come back to her, to not leave her alone, not like she left him.
21. The realisation. We all know this moment. When the main character realises they are in love, and they try desperately, to tell the other person, in the hopes it might save them. Disney have done this a few times, one example being back in Tangled when Rapunzel saves Flynn/Eugene with a tear drop of pure love.
22. Shock. Each time Belle sees Adam for the first time in some way, she experiences some sort of shock. She’s unsure of what has happened. (As my brother said, she’s probably thinking “Thank God he’s handsome.”)
23. Relief, happiness, love, amazement. She knows now that she can be happy, she can be with this man she loves. It’s overwhelming, but she knows it is what she’s always wanted.
24. Love. There is nothing but love in that look. She is where she is meant to be, with who she is meant to be with, and she loves it.
Look at the difference. Look at the change over the period they spent together. That…… is Disney.
Because who doesn’t love this scene?