“It addresses one of the greatest, and least acknowledged, temptations of magic: the quest for invulnerability. Of course, such a quest is nothing more or less than a foolish fantasy. No man or woman alive, magical or not, has ever escaped some form of injury, whether physical, mental or emotional. To hurt is as human as to breathe. Nevertheless, we wizards seem particularly prone to the idea that we can bend the nature of existence to our will.“
Aahhhh here it is, a Harry Potter themed month since I have re-re-re etc read al the books while I was on holiday.
I’ve never been quit certain witch house I belong to. Potter More said Gryffindor and later Ravenclaw. And I can see some aspects from both houses in myself, but I thinks I relate to Hufflepuff as well. Al I know is that I’m no where near ambitious enough to be a Slytherin and that’s also why I think Ravenclaw would not be the best match. I value knowledge, learning and being more educated a lot. But not always because I want to be smarter, that’s just the learning part. I think that if people were more educated and didn’t jump to conclusions the world would be a better place. Not saying that you have to be highly educated, but just to do proper research before you shout about.
Long story short, maybe I am a hybrid between a Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and a Ravenclaw.
With art from The Tales of Beedle The Bart (my favorite story is “The fountain of fair fortune”)
harmony vs romione vs dramione – it was getting UGLY out there (hell, it’s STILL ugly out there)
constant idealization of draco and constant demonization of ron – which led to the creation of the “draco in leather pants” and “ron the death eater” tropes. (you still see this, of course, but i think we’re getting better)
my immortal dramatic readings EVERYWHERE
my immortal still being on fanfiction.net
actual fanart of my immortal
soooo many youtube music videos for the creator’s otp
“harry potter chatroom” videos on youtube where the premise was that each character had a laptop and was in an online chatroom for some reason. usually each character got their own music that played in the background while they “typed,” and they all looked like this:
i wish i was kidding
i may have been obsessed with these when i was nine
so many fanvids of draco with “untitled” by simple plan (aka “how could this happen to meeeeeeeeeeeee i made my mistaaaaaaaakes”)
fanfics where voldemort had a daughter (and it was ALWAYS a daughter. pre-cursed child, mind you.)
people actually liking snape
pretty blatantly ignoring the fact that electricity doesn’t work at hogwarts in fanfictions
THE RISE OF DRARRY
drapple (draco + green apples. not joking.)
that fanfic that was a lemon of the giant squid and the hogwarts castle… i can’t be the only one that read it out of sheer morbid curiosity
jily fanfics that gave lily two OC friends that would be paired off with sirius and remus
no muggleborn slytherins, ever
fanmade potter puppet pal videos – some of them were quite good, but most weren’t
bashing viktor krum, cho chang, lavender brown, fleur delacour, and the entire weasley family for no reason
fics where people “switched houses”
people actually shipping snily
you could always tell the author’s opinion of draco malfoy based on whether they called him “malfoy” or “draco” in their narration
fanvids of “you belong with me” for every ship imaginable
the trio ALWAYS being white in fanart
fics where hermione randomly got hot over the summer
sorting yourself into slytherin to be “edgy”
or because you had a crush on tom felton
pairing hermione with literally every male character. ron, harry, draco, cedric, fred and george (sometimes both at once), lucius, snape, voldemort, neville, dean, seamus… if they interacted in canon (or even if they didn’t), they were shipped
“transfer student” OCs to explain why they haven’t been there for the past five years
not many same-gender pairings apart from wolfstar and drarry
harmony fanfics making ginny an “evil bitchy slut” and ron a drunken rapist so harry and hermione can find comfort in each other’s arms
people placing literal bets with actual money on who would die in the last book
which led to a bit of an issue for people who had bet on harry, as no one was sure whether or not it actually counted since he didn’t stay dead
my immortal predicting that harry would turn out to be a horcrux
people flipping the fuck out when their otps got sunk in the epilogue and swearing off the series forever
everyone having a crush on oliver wood (to be fair this one is completely understandable)
school play fanfics, usually with the purpose of getting their otp to kiss on stage (i am 1000% convinced jk rowling had “tales of beedle the bard” mention that theatrical productions are banned at hogwarts specifically to get people to knock it off)
“american exchange student” OCs
a girl ends up in harry’s (or draco’s) dorm for some reason – either bc she’s pulling a mulan or because of a mistake no one bothered to fix
lots of fanfics of the otp banging bc “i don’t want to die a virgin”
“101 ways to annoy lord voldemort” lists
calling voldemort “moldyshorts”
fanfics of the characters somehow reading the harry potter books and reacting to them (these were all taken down bc of copyright)
leaving peter out of marauders fanart and fanfic (i understand the urge but come on he was a marauder it’s what made his betrayal so tragic)
fred/george fanfic (my eyes, they bleed)
fred and george (but mostly fred) being the school heartthrobs
think of any two characters. any two. there is a fanfiction somewhere that ships them. (this is still true, of course – in a fandom this massive, it’s inevitable)
if you spoiled THAT DEATH from the sixth book, and someone murdered you for it, it was your fault
same with THAT DEATH from the fifth book. and a certain few THOSE DEATHS from the seventh.
cedric dying was old news within like a month though.
the divide between people who had gotten into the series late (or, sometimes, because of the movies) and people who had been there since (almost) the beginning
people refusing to go online until they’d finished reading the seventh book for fear of spoilers (i am SO glad i didn’t have tumblr back then)
people actually saying they wanted to join the death eaters
every character was either good or evil. no in between as far as the fandom was concerned.
everyone’s icon looking like this for some reason
dramione fanfics where he calls her mudblood AFTER THEY START DATING??? AND SHE PUTS UP WITH IT????
dramione fics where hermione heals him with her love
making ginny out to be the school bicycle and basically burning her at the stake for going on dates
fics where the head boy and girl get their own separate room??? for some reason???
VAMPIRE AUS (usually harry and/or draco)
dumbledore either being 100% heroic or satan
hermione’s parents always being named “dan and emma”
fics where hermione turns out to be adopted and a pureblood all along!
harry switching to the dark side for some reason??
the harry potter fandom has ALWAYS been wild
it’s the same shit as always, the details are just different
spoke to them. He was angry that he had been cheated out of three new
victims, for travelers usually drowned in the river. But Death was
cunning. He pretended to congratulate the three brothers upon their
magic, and said that each had earned a prize for having been clever
enough to evade him.”
*walks back into the room holding all 7 of the Harry Potter books, the original screenplay of the cursed child and fbawtft, the tales of beedle the bard, Quidditch throught the ages, fantastic beasts and where to find them, all of the dvds for Harry Potter, fantastic beasts and the movie about jk Rowling while wearing all my Harry Potter shirts layered on top of each other, my house scarf, Harry Potter socks and holding a tankard of butter beer and my wand with a time tuner dangling around my neck*
* Toddler Harry with his little leather jacket just like Sirius’s
* Sirius, in dog form, carrying toddler Harry all around the house on his back
* Because Sirius and Remus don’t want to act like they’re replacing Harry’s parents, he grows up using “my Moony” and “my Pads” the way most people say “my mum and dad”.
* When Harry was little, he was scared of thunderstorms. He’d run and hide under Remus’s oversized sweater, wrapping his arms around Remus and shaking.
* Sirius always made pancakes in crazy shapes- a snitch, a broomstick, a dragon, a castle- and sometimes in different colors with food dye.
* Little Harry not understanding why his Moony had to lock himself in the basement for the night once a month
* At night, Remus would read Harry bedtime stories, both the Tales of Beedle the Bard and the Grimm Brothers stories, because that’s what Lily would have wanted.
* Harry jumping up and down with excitement when Sirius and Remus decide he’s old enough for a real broomstick
* When they went out shopping, Harry would hold both his guardians’ hands and jump in the air and swing between them for a second every couple steps
* When Remus and Sirius were busy, Andromeda would babysit. Harry loved playing with his older “cousin”, Tonks.
* After a very eventful trip to the park during which they discovered Harry was a parselmouth, they bought him a pet snake, which he named Sherman. At first, Remus wasn’t very happy about it (he didn’t much like snakes), but then he noticed that Harry’s room stayed cleaner than it normally did. When asked, Harry revealed that Sherman had started refusing to play with him until he did his tidying. After that, Remus was rather fond of the creature.
* Ignoring protests from Sirius, Remus bought Harry a few academic books (Elementary Transfiguration, Defense for Dummies, A Simplified History of Magic, etc.) a full year before he got his Hogwarts letter.
* Harry always writing his name as Harry L. B. Potter (for Lupin-Black), because he wanted to acknowledge them as his parents without giving up his connection to Lily and James
* Sirius tearing up when he and Remus put Harry on the Hogwarts Express for the first time
* The Weasley twins showing Harry the map, thinking he’ll be astounded, but he just goes, “Oh, my dads made that!”
* Harry was warned about Snape by both Remus and Sirius (albeit in very different ways) ahead of time, so he studied his Potions book diligently over the summer and answered all Snape’s questions correctly with an infuriating smirk on his face.
* The Mirror of Erised still shows Harry’s parents, but Remus and Sirius are there too, because he can’t imagine life without them.
* The first time Harry jinxes Malfoy at school (for making extremely offensive comments about half-humans), he gets a Howler the next morning that yells only “NICE ONE, SON” in Sirius’s voice.
* Sirius thinks it’s hilarious that people think Harry is the heir of Slytherin in 2nd year. “Sherman wants to know why he doesn’t have his own secret chamber too!”
* When Remus teaches in 3rd year, Harry is thrilled. He proudly announces, “That’s my Moony,” when Remus takes his seat at the staff table. In the evenings, he hangs out in the DADA classroom to do his homework, often accompanied by Ron and Hermione.
* Harry showing up to class late and Remus, trying to look stern but still smiling a little, says, “I’m sorry, Harry, but I’m going to have to give you a detention,” to which Harry grins and responds, “Yes, /sir/,” because he spends most evenings with his Moony anyway, and Remus never docks points or schedules the detentions to interfere with Quidditch. Occasionally, someone tries to complain to McGonagall about Harry being shown favoritism, but she just shrugs and says, “He’s serving detention, isn’t he?”
* Harry casts his Patronus by thinking about the first time Remus took the Wolfsbane Potion and could stay home on the full moon.
* After the mud-throwing incident in Hogsmeade, Harry runs up to the DADA classroom to tell Remus all about it, and they both laugh, and Remus says, “That’s my boy, haunting the Shrieking Shack just like his Moony.”
* Harry constantly sending Remus messages like, “How can I accomplish this thing without technically breaking any school rules” and Remus almost always has an answer.
* Sirius dying of laughter as a very aggravated Harry recounts, via the two-way mirrors, his attempts to secure a date for the Yule Ball
* Sirius and Remus arriving in a panic less than five minutes after Barty Crouch Jr was unmasked, with Sirius actually looking close to tears. They resolutely refuse to leave, no matter what Madam Pomfrey says, though they consent to be silent. Harry falls asleep holding both their hands.
* Harry trying to sneak into Order meetings under the Invisibility Cloak, so Remus and Sirius get in the habit of Summoning his glasses before they start to check if he’s in the room. Harry, with his father’s cleverness, retaliates by teaching himself how to make things Unsummonable.
* When Harry tells them that he has to go on a mission for Dumbledore, Sirius snorts and says, “You don’t really think we’re letting you go off on your own, do you? We’re coming.”
* The last time Harry sees Remus and Sirius before going to sacrifice himself, they’re fighting back-to-back against a pair of Death Eaters. Harry whispers, “I love you. Don’t die,” before turning away.
A while ago I was tagged by @rubyhosh to do the #smallbookishdetails tag 📖✨
I just love it when books have small illustrations on the chapterpages, in the corners or around the pagenumbers 💗✨
Hope you had a good hump day! Only two more days until the weekend 🙌🏼
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince timeleine. The Horcrux destroyed. Dumbledore finishes the comments to The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Also this art includes the Resurrection Stone, The Tales of Beedle the Bard and the Sword of Godric Gryffindor.