I get why people are salty. I’m a little salty too.
But here’s the way I see it, A&E are never gonna stop writing plastic angst, but at least where Killian is concerned, it always leads to good things. It’s been the pattern since season 2. We find out that Killian did a bad thing, or has the potential to keep a big secret, he comes clean either a few scenes later or at most a couple episodes and we get awesome Killian character development, and then we get cute, romantic and awesome captain swan moments
1) Zomg, Hook stole Aurora’s heart, so evil, he’ll never be redeemed.
2) Even at the beginning of his arc, when he was still technically a villain, Killian chose to do the right thing and saved Aurora’s heart
3) We got some cute CS sword fighting banter
1) OMG Neal is alive and now Hook is the only one who knows. He’s so selfish, and he’s gonna keep the secret so he can try and trick Emma into loving him He’s irredeemable.
2) Literally, the next scene, Killian tells everyone that Neal is alive, and helps the nevengers to find and save his boring ass. We get the the amazing bridge confession.
3) We get the cute when I win your heart scene.
1) Killian screwed over Ariel and Eric, in the very recent past, OMG he’s so selfish and he’s never gonna be fully redeemed. It comes back to haunt him in present day.
2) Killian tries to help fake!Ariel find Eric, apologizes to fake!Ariel and we get amazing character development.
3) Killian gets cursed literally because of his love for Emma Swan.
1) Oh my god, Killian screwed over Ursula, and now he’s keeping a secret from Emma. He’s so horrible and they’re gonna break up.
2) Reunites Ursula with her father and helps get her voice back.We get the amazing character moments when he confesses that he’s afraid of losing his happy ending. And the brotp scene with Ariel, further showing how far he has come.
3) We get the “Killian’s happy ending is Emma Swan” scene and one of the cutest cs kisses ever.
1) Killian is about to go full Dark One and destroy the town and all his loved ones.
2) Resists the ultimate darkness, and his ultimate personal weakness for vengeance, and is “being the man he wants to be” and then sacrifices himself to save everyone and goes to literal hell.
3) We get the one of the most beautiful, epic and heartbreaking captain swan scenes of all time, and then Emma goes to literal hell to save him.
1) Killian holds onto the shears, Omg, he’s taking away Emma’s choice, he is so selfish.
2) Has his adventure with Henry, and he and Henry decide together that they will find another way, he drops the shears and Killian confesses to Emma about keeping the shears.
3) Emma forgives hims, says she would have done that same, and we get a cute reassuring hug.
1) Zomg, Killian killed David’s father (he obviously didn’t know it was David’s father at the time, it was just some random guy), he’s gonna keep this a secret so that he can marry Emma. He’s so selfish.
2) LBR, Killian is gonna tell Archie, then tell Emma, and then probably go on a quest with the princess squad and Liam II to find a way to break Snowing’s curse, and tell David the truth and apologize and the curse will be broken.
3) He is going to propose to Emma, she will say yes, and everyone will be a big happy family together.
So yeah, I get why people are annoyed by the plastic angst, and it feels like a poor writing choice. I’m not saying it’s a good writing choice, but it has been in the writing of Killian’s character arc since the beginning, and the ride always leads to awesome things for Killian and Captain Swan.
So do I like it? Not really. But am I gonna enjoy the ride by seeing more of Killian continuing to demonstrate how much of a hero he is, and captain charming, and the epic captain swan proposal that we will get at the end of this ride. HELL YES.
So sure, be salty if you want, you do you. But know that it’s gonna be okay, and it will be resolved. It’s all in the spoilers.