Waning Gibbous – reassessment, letting go, clearing away, cleansing, releasing, undoing bindings, opening up, making amends, making space
Third Quarter – letting go, banishing, breaking bad habits
Waning Crescent – achievement, rest, peace, deep wisdom, completion, banishing
Dark Moon – retreat, reflection of self, destruction, banishing, justice
Blue Moon – achieving goals, focus, major wishes and dreams, divination
– power, manifestation
Days of the Week
Moon - Monday
Sun - Sunday
Mercury - Wednesday
Venus - Friday
Mars - Tuesday
Jupiter - Thursday
Saturn - Saturday
Uranus - Wednesday, Saturday
Neptune - Thursday, Friday
Pluto - Tuesday
Planetary hours utilize the seven classic planets including the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn (although the other 3 planets may be used as well). The first planetary hour of any given day will correspond to that day of the week: for example, the first planetary hour on Saturday will be the hour of Saturn, beginning at sunrise on Saturday and ending before sunrise on the following day. The time that the sun rises is different for everyone, so planetary hours are location-specific. To calculate planetary hours, you need to know what time the sun rises and sets in your area. The length of daytime equals the time between sunrise and sunset, so figure out how many minutes are between the two, and divide by 12. This will give you the length of time between each planetary hour. Do the same for nighttime (the time between sunset and sunrise the next day). You can also just visit Lunarium.co.uk to calculate planetary hours for your location: click the link, click “edit” next to the location and date on the page, choose your country/city, and click “Save Preferences.”
The general order of planetary hours based on the Chaldean Order is as follows: • Saturn • Jupiter • Mars • Sun • Venus • Mercury • Moon The Chaldean Order is listed from the slowest moving planet in orbit to the fastest, although, we’ve since discovered that the Earth and other planets actually orbit around the Sun, the Moon orbits the Earth, and that the Sun is a fixed object. Because this system was also put into place before the outer planets were discovered, they usually are not included, but I have still found ways to use them in my personal practice. The outer planets are said to be “higher octaves” of the “lower octave” planets - the associations of lower octave planets are basic, and the higher octave planets take those associations to a more in depth level. Low and High Octave Planets: • Mercury - Uranus • Venus - Neptune • Mars - Pluto With that being said, I like to associate the outer planets with their lower octave counterpart when it comes to using planetary hours and even “day of the week” correspondences.
A collective list of “the best time” to do certain spells - includes days of the week, planet, and lunar phases
This spell is helpful for those wishing to become empowered and bursting with charisma, to bring new projects to fruition, or to transform brilliant ideas into real goals. As always, feel free to modify this spell to suit your own desires and your own resources.
1. Lay down a red altar cloth.
2. Dress two red or orange candles with Bergamot oil, and place them in the East and West of the altar and light them.
3. Place the Emperor card in the center of the altar, and place a diamond or crystal on top of it. These stones are formed under massive pressure deep in the earth, and represent the process by which creation of real value takes place. Think of how you are like this stone. Through adversity and pressure of opposing forces in your life, you too have become a being of value.
4. Lay the 5, 3, and 7 of Wands in the North of the altar. Reflect on the struggles you have been through, the battles you have won, and the battles you have lost. Conjure in your mind all these lost opportunities, setbacks, and scenarios of disempowerment. As they appear, imagine that they turn into a liquid, and flow down from your mind, along your spine, into your left hand.
5. Hold your left hand over the Wand cards, and picture these images flowing into them. These cards act as a valve, allowing negativity to enter them, but letting nothing back out.
6. Recite: “I stand here, at this point of my life, understanding why certain events have transpired the way they have. Now I am ready to move forward, may the unseen forces of good grant that I am now worthy and ready to enter this new phase of life.”
7. Carry the diamond or crystal with you as an amulet.
Spell from Terry Donaldson’s The Tarot Spellcaster