Rainy Days and Mondays
Hello there! I’m back with another headcanon after a while :3 This one was requested by the fabulous @itshaejinju. Thanks for the request (and sorry it’s so late!) <3
“Hmm how about comfort foods and comfort activities for the bros and whoever else that you are comfortable with writing.*”
Note: I included a few songs that the bros might listen to if they’re feeling down. Just click on the letters at the end :3 I didn’t put the titles because I wanted it to be a surprise ^^ (don’t worry, no jump-scares XD)
The letters at the end of the bonus content contain a song as well, so check those out too ^^
Tagging: @themissimmortal @ohgodsnowwhat (thanks for helping me bounce around ideas for this!) @blindbae @stunninglyignis @chocobro-hijinks @crown-city-moogle @insomniacapples @gyrogearlooser (since you liked reading my other stuff XD)
Noctis Lucis Caelum
- That the Prince of Insomnia is quite the avid sleeper himself has become a running joke among his closest friends. He sleeps wherever and whenever long he damn pleases on normal days, but even more so when he’s feeling particularly depressed. His philosophy on these days is to just sleep it off until it goes away.
- Cats are also a great source of happiness and comfort for the Chosen King. Whether it’s a cat video or cat-themed items (and especially if it’s an actual feline!), any of these will instantly put a smile on his normally sulky visage. He has a cat-eared hoodie (a gift from Prompto the first Christmas they spent as a group) that he uses as pajamas when feeling blue. He wore them more often when Regis died (
and even more so after Altissia).
- Unhealthy food is the way to go with him. Expect all-meat pizzas, potato chips, and plenty of junk food in general. If he is craving something sweet, he’ll ask Ignis to “help him” make some (AKA Noct will stir, cut or taste test while Iggy does everything else). Back when they would do this in the Citadel, the two would call over Gladio (and later on, Prompto) to have an impromptu dessert party. There would always be a batch set aside as well for Ignis to take back to Regis.
- Video games are also a good way to work out any frustrating or confusing feelings. Expect full-day marathons of King’s Knight and RPGs galore if he’s in a bad mood. If he wants to calm down and not really think while playing, Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon are his go-to games (
farming and fishing erryday).
- Fishing is by far the most effective method to get his spirits back up. The calm of the environment alone helps clear his mind and make his troubles melt away. Getting a major haul will have him on Cloud Nine for days on end. Fair bit of warning first, though: Don’t do any backseat fishing if he’s feeling particularly testy. He will threaten to shove his fishing rod up your ass many times over.
- Our resident sunshine boy is on the prowl for hugs and fluffy animals (both, if he can find them) when he’s feeling blue. Back in Insomnia, he would hit up most, if not all, of the animal cafes the city had to offer. During the trek around Lucis, these are replaced by constant trips to Wiz’s Chocobo Post. Hugs he’ll either get from the residents of these particular places or from some plushies he collected over their travels. He has a pair of black and white dogs that look similar to Umbra and Pryna, plus a set of four chocobos that look eerily similar to each of the bros (the light brown one even came with a small pair of glasses, while the chocolate-colored one has scars similar to a certain Shield’s). He loves hugging the black chocobo the most, but has hugged the glasses-wearing one more often since Altissia.
- Prompto’s hands tend to get twitchy when he’s sad, and constantly fidgets with either his phone or one of his automatic weapons. During one of their visits to Hammerhead when he was in a funk, Cindy gave him a small pouch filled with a couple of spare parts lying around the garage (cleaned, of course!). Since then, he’d fiddle around with them and see what he could create. One time, he was able to create a customized fidget cube.
- When he was a kid, his go-to comfort food diet was similar to Noct’s, but spicier. But since losing and becoming conscious of his weight, he’d been avoiding junk food for the most part. His love for spicy food, however, hasn’t changed. Curries, stews, skewers…he’ll take it as long as it’s packing the heat he craves. The spicier, the better!
- Of course, video game sessions with his buddy Noctis always cheers him up. He usually prefers King’s Knight or a game like Nintendogs when he’s sad, but when he’s the angry kind of upset? He becomes the most aggressive gamer you’ll ever meet. Prompto becomes the King of any FPS and GTA-type games, and will wipe the floor with any poor soul who dares to challenge him right then and there.
- As he likes to say so himself, he never misses…a photo op! The group’s resident photographer will be moving around more than usual to grab tons of shots, mostly of the other bros. This may not seem very different from what he normally does, but the other three can always tell when the pictures are taken when he’s in a gloomy mood: (a) Prompto will only use the Journey, Time or Dawn filters and (b) there are never any selfies, even when Noct asks him to.
- He’s the kind of person who feels like he has no time to feel sorry for himself, so he basically throws himself even more into physical activity when upset. Whether it’s fighting monsters or going on seemingly endless hunts (
or going through the Trial of Gilgamesh)…Gladio will do all this and more, almost always pushing himself to the brink of passing out, much to Iris’ chagrin.
- If it can’t really be helped, the Shield turns to writing about his thoughts and feelings. From poetry to fan fiction, this guy will spin sultry sonnets that will make even Shakespeare’s head spin (or stories that will make even the most straight-laced reader melt into a puddle of goo at the intensity of the smut he writes). He has quite the large following on Tumblr and Fanfiction.net as a result, entire communities of blogs being dedicated to all his writings.
- Three words can accurately describe Gladio’s entire comfort food list: meat, noodles, and booze. He’ll crave burgers, steaks…pretty much any thick cut of meat. Noodles are a given when it comes to him, chugging down at least three large servings of his beloved Cup Noodles at a time. No matter which he chooses to eat, this will always be accompanied by an ice-cold beer or six, depending on the intensity of his mood.
- When depressed and hit with massive writer’s block, Gladio will do one of three things. His first option is reading, immersing himself mostly in historical novels with the occasional erotic piece. If he isn’t in the mood to read, he will park himself in front of the television and binge-watch until he either falls asleep or gets inspired to write (he’s a low-key fan of K-dramas and soap operas thanks to Iris). The third option involves clubbing, drinking and…well, let’s just not disturb him. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
- In line with the Shield’s desire for physical activity, expect him to disappear for a few hours. He’ll be trekking around the area near the haven/outpost, going for a jog all over the place to clear his head. Looking around helps ground him and remind him of what else he’s fighting to protect. During the time that Noctis disappeared into the Crystal, Gladio went away for close to a month after completing a daemon hunt by Longwythe. When he came back, he passed out from exhaustion, bruises and new scars littering his person. As it turned out, he’d walked all over Lucis, only stopping to slay daemons, eat/drink, and relieve himself.
Ignis Stupeo Scientia
- If Gladiolus is the one who feels like he has no time to feel sorry for himself, Specs literally has no time to do so. On bad days, music becomes his constant companion. Expect him to either have a set of Bluetooth earbuds plugged in or, in case he doesn’t have them on him, for Ignis to be humming to himself when he works. You know he’s having a particularly rough day when you can hear him singing (and damn, he’s got a hell of a voice on him), especially since he doesn’t normally sing in the presence of others.
- Theatre in general is something that can put Ignis in a good mood, whether from laughing at a particularly funny play or shedding a few tears during an emotional scene thanks to quality acting. When he was younger and there happened to be a show in Insomnia when he wasn’t particularly busy, his uncle would surprise him with premium tickets and they’d watch together. During the road trip, he’d content himself with watching the anniversary performances stored on his phone whenever they’d stop to rest.
- For Ignis, cooking is always a good way to take one’s mind off things. When he is in a funk, expect a seafood feast fit for the Astrals. Shellfish, trout, trevally…you name it, it’s there. For dessert, fluffy chiffon cake, chocolate-covered fruit and wine or cocktails.
- The comfort activity that never fails to surprise the other bros no matter how many times they’ve seen it is Ignis watching anime or reading manga. He’s actually a low-key fan of Studio Ghibli, together with the occasional josei and shoujo anime. Apart from the theatre performances stored in his phone, he has a few volumes of manga stored at a time, updating them whenever they stop by an outpost. He’s currently watching Koe no Katachi and reading Orange.
- If Ignis is having a bad day and isn’t in the mood to sit around, he will either do yoga or dance (usually contemporary or ballroom). How do you think he got so flexible? Specs will often find himself getting lost in the motions, whether he’s performing a particularly difficult set of poses or being drawn into the world of the song he’s dancing to.
- Cor is someone who draws or paints when he’s upset. His work revolves mainly around two themes: the scenery of Lucis and his past experiences (his trip to Accordo with Regis and the Trial of Gilgamesh, in particular). His skill has considerably grown over the years, the drawings and paintings now indistinguishable from photographs. ( U )
- Ravus is a writer like Gladio, but of music. The High Commander played the piano and violin as a child, much to Queen Sylva’s delight. He rarely touches the violin ever since he got his new arm, much to his chagrin. Ravus usually composes with his mother and sister in mind, the resulting songs being beautifully haunting and filled with a sense of longing. ( V )
- Lunafreya is one who wishes to be one with nature when feeling down. The sylleblossoms outside of Fenestala Manor have only grown more beautiful and numerous over the years thanks to her care. She also keeps a small garden at the balcony of her room in case she’s too unwell to go outside, the planters filled with more sylleblossoms, lilies, and orchids. ( W )
Thanks for reading through this! Hope you enjoyed it <3
EDIT: For some reason, the post didn’t tag properly. Fixed now!