can you name 5 things you dont want to see in s2? shippings aside
most of the things that i don’t want to happen regarding ships are for deeper reasons than just it opposes my ship, so it’s kind of hard for me to exclude shipping from my list. most of my fears for season 2 have to do with romance, so i can’t keep shipping off my list entirely– but i’ll explain into further detail why it’s on my “please, god, don’t” list for season 2 (or any future season).
- B*RCHIE & the BAV love triangle. i will stop watching the show if ether of these things happen. my love for bughead plays into that, but it’s also much much deeper. having romantic b*rchie happen, or resurrecting the triangle from the first two episodes, destroys the bond between the core four. i’ve watched so many shows where i couldn’t invest in the friendships because they were all dating and fucking each other. you cannot convince me that somebody would be okay with their best friend dating somebody that they used to be deeply in love with. for me, it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been broken up, it’s just something that you don’t do. and you definitely cannot convince me that two people can still be best friends with no animosity after fighting over the same romantic interest, especially if one of them is/was in a relationship with the person they both have feelings for (ex: peyton and brooke from oth). i’m not interested in seeing the beautiful friendship between veronica and betty be decimated for a love triangle that has already been done a hundred different ways. it had a long life (too long). let. it. die. and i don’t want to see the bond between the core four be strained for a coupling that a) very few people want and b) robs betty of all of the character development she’s experienced since we first met her. she has come so far from her comic counter part who let people walk all over her and pined after archie despite the fact she was clearly second best to him. and how am i possibly supposed to believe that archie is riverdale’s “hero” if he assured veronica that he only views betty as a friend, and then proceeded to sleep with her, only to turn around and be like psych. one of the things that has kept me from disliking archie is the fact that, despite all of his screw ups, he was still a good person. having archie develop feelings for betty after his and veronica’s conversation in ep 13 would turn him into a smarmy fuckboy. i’m not going to watch a show where out of our four main characters: one receded on all the growth she’s experienced to be with a boy that has only treated her like shit (romantically) in the past, and another can’t figure out what he wants, so he dips his hand into every honey pot in riverdale; not realizing how it hurts them and their friendships with each other
- keep paranormal shit away from riverdale. if you want to have your show be paranormal, you have to introduce that right away. you can’t start your show as human monsters and then suddenly shift to actual monsters. it just doesn’t work. a prime example being pretty little liars– out of nowhere they started introducing ghosts and psychics and it left the audience like ???? that’s one of the reasons their pll spin-off, ravenswood, flopped so hard. they were counting on the pll audience to also watch the spin-off show, but a lot of people liked pretty little liars as a show about human monsters. they didn’t want to watch a show that took place in the same universe, but with ghosts and demons and prophecies. if they want to keep doing little dream sequences with zombies and having the kids talk about legends involving witches in the woods as a nod to roberto's afterlife with archie comic, that’s fine, but don’t make it real
- no more incest. it’s upsetting that i even have to type this. please, stop. no more twincest vibes with cheryl and jason, and no more cousins sleeping together and having children. i don’t even want step-sibling type incest, which means no fred/hermione or fp/alice
- i don’t want a bughead break up. this one does have a bit of bias, but it’s more than just my love for them. it’s why i love them. betty and jughead have one of the most refreshing, honest, believable, loving, supportive, healthy relationships i have ever seen on television. i know that some people, for some reason, believe that for a couple to be interesting they have to break up and get back together throughout the show, and i firmly disagree with that. in fact, i find on again-off again relationships to be obnoxious. they’re either breaking up over something stupid that they should be able to work through with conversion and time, or something terrible that makes them getting back together later hard to believe. the more they do that, the less refreshing, honest, believable, loving, supportive, and healthy that pairing becomes. i don’t want that for bughead. i’ve said it before, but i’d like to see them have a relationship like nathan and haley from oth. they got together in the first season and stayed together the entire show (9 seasons). their relationship was not boring. the writers put them through hell, and they stumbled a few times, but they fought through it and always came out stronger. that was amazing to watch because it made their love feel so real and was such a rarity on tv. it still is. the way they wrote season 1, they have a prime set up to make betty and jughead their anchor couple. i want that. i want that so much more than the tired break up, date other people, get back together formula most television writers fall back on. and nobody give me the “it’s not realistic” speech. this is a show where they hid heroin in maple syrup barrels. it also might be rare for teens to get together and stay together, but it is most definitely not impossible or unrealistic. i’m sure that quite a few of my followers have parents that started dating in high school and are still married
- i also don’t want betty to become a south side serpent. i know a lot of people like the idea of her going dark and becoming the “serpent queen,” but i think it kind of romanticizes her mental illness. she’s not dark betty or light betty, she’s both. having her go full dark is just as unhealthy as what she’s doing now. she needs to learn that it’s okay to be both. she needs to find balance, and (i don’t think) joining the serpents is going to help with that. i want her to spend time in the south side, and make friends there, because i think being around people who are unapologetically themselves will help her learn to accept all parts of herself, but i don’t want her to become a serpent. it also tethers betty and jughead too tightly together. they need to be their own independent people within their relationship