Why People Need to Stop Complaining Bev was a ‘damsel in distress’ stereotype
- willingly became a distraction so that Eddie, Stan and Bill could steal medical supplies. Ben would not have received any care if Beverly hadn’t offered to distract the pharmacist
- threw the first stone at Henry and started the rock war to protect Mike, a kid she never met
- besides Bill, she was the only person who didn’t want to keep watch outside the creepy house, she was the only other Loser willing to go in
- Beverly was the one to stab Pennywise in his fucking eye with a metal spear because he was attacking her friends. Not Bill, not Richie, not Mike. Beverly did that shit.
- she and Bill are the only Losers who originally want to go back and fight Pennywise. Mike, Richie, Stan and Ben all say they want to forget about it and not risk death
- “I want to run toward something, not away.”
- Not only did she stand up to her abusive father, she bashed his face in with the back of a toilet seat
- Pennywise doesn’t kill her because she’s not afraid of him. She’s not afraid of this huge, child-eating demonic clown, even when he dragged Beverly unconscious and alone into his sewer hide out
- delivered the final blow to Pennywise, shoving a metal rod down his throat even when he took on the face of her father, the person she feared most
Yeah, it would have been great if she didn’t need to be rescued by the boys at the end, but she was the only Loser Bill was still talking to at that time. Eddie was hurt, he fought with Richie, Stan and Mike and Ben all bailed, so she was the best person for Bill to notice if she went missing.
But do not say Beverly Marsh’s only role was a damsel in distress. That is so disrespectful to a character who is constantly sacrificing herself for her friends and who stands up to her abuser.