Top Five moments in _Kings_.
- always alwyas A L WAYS - ‘beneath the veneer of civility, we are all children of cain.’ if only just for the way sebstan’s mouth tightens and his eyes go bright and he’s only seconds away from the knife-edge of control and lurches up and hits and hits until he sees blood. BUT ALSO because oh my god this show’s language as a performance this show’s ability to blend biblical/period language with modern settings and do it so that it’s slightly out of sync but you BUY IT ALL THE SAME. the fact that they did in canon cain and abel imagery tho kill me kill me K I L L MEEEEE
- ‘how do you kill a man that god protects?’ 'easy. with a bullet.’ THIS ENTIRE SCENE. VESPER ABBADON THE GENIE IN THE BOTTLE, VESPER ABBADON L I T E R A L L Y THE DEAL WITH THE DEVIL, WHO TEACHES SILAS HOW TO BE A TYRANT. THIS ENTIRE SCENE YOU CAN TELL HOW MUCH THEY LOVE THIS DIALOGUE, HOW THEY ROLL THE WORDS AROUND IN THEIR MOUTHS LIKE FINE WINE - 'i know you, silas. you’re not a tyrant. but you could be; if you tried.’/’those for, plant in front of the cameras. those against, plant in the dirt.’ ‘that simple?’ ‘don’t hide it. anyone plotting against you will do it slipping in a blood puddle.’/’now, you rule by night.’ there’s such a perfect rhythm and flow and beat to the words and OH MY GOD HOW DO YOU DIALOGUE
- 'they didn’t come to see dancing. they came to see us, the royal family. we are the performance.’ EPISODE FUCKING FOUR. AND THE FACT THAT JACK SAYS THE EXACT SAME THING TO DAVID; THE FACT THAT IT’S THE SHADOW MOTHER AND SHADOW SON WHO UNDERSTAND THE MECHANICS OF THIS MESSIANIC KINGSHIP THEY’VE GOT GOING ON - THAT IT’S NOT A THING THAT IS, BUT A THING THAT GROWS, A THING THAT HAS TO BE MAINTAINED LIKE ANY OTHER POLITICAL ORDER. WE ARE THE PERFORMANCE. THE MOMENT WHEN I WHISPERED ‘OH NO THIS SHOW IS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM.’
- similarly - ‘but when the dust settles, and memory fades, you’ll be thought of as a woman. sexual, desirable, formidable. and you’ll wield that power in ways young women cannot.’ i ’ m. i still can’t be coherent about this because - god literally the most perfect take down of that madonna/whore dichotomy i have seen that doesn’t reduce that image down to what it is on the surface - sex - but what that image is in relation to power which is ALL THIS SHOW IS EVER ABOUT AND I LOVE IT. the compartmentalization of women into stock archetypes, and the fact that rose is literally teaching her daughter, step by step, how to take the labels other people give her and hone it into a performance, how to utilize the power of language and make plain words into something as strong as a right hand man. T H I S S H O W.
- and of course, no list about kings can be complete without - ‘you want to show me you have the heart to be king? show me you can control this. wrestle it to the ground, numb it with ice. you cannot be what god made you, not if you intend to take my place.’
- 'you made your first true kill. no easy feat. it changes the colour of your blood, paints your conscience.’ 'you don’t owe me anything.’ 'words don’t settle debt.’ HOW DOES A SEBSTAN??? I WANT TO KILL YOU AND FUCK YOU AND LOVE YOU AT THE SAME TIME face
- 'be the lamb, or be the knife. try to be both, and you’ll end up slaughtering yourself.’
- 'a monarchy stands for the singularity of its king; all vectors pointed here.’
- 'you may have the will, but i maximize your effect.’
- 'if you don’t sit.’
- ASH ON DAVID’S FOREHEAD; PERFECT FROM THE FIRST.’