A Complete List of Songs from the Skulduggery Pleasant Series
The full list of songs is under the cut. They’re listed in the order they appear in the books, and include quotes from the book and links to the songs on youtube. I’ve also compiled all the the songs on playmoss.
“There’s only one plug in this entire coffee shop and you’re sitting right in front of it and you’re not even using it, and my laptop is about to die in the middle of this online exam I’m taking, so whatever I don’t care how intimidatingly attractive you are I’m sitting down at your table to plug my shit in.” AU
Sleep-deprived, coffee did nothing to calm her, full bent on getting a good grade. Apparently, Mr. Salvatore, her annoying and inappropriate Communication teacher, had taken a sudden like to technology —that wasn’t related at all to the fact that he showed up hungover at the last classes of the year, refusing to teach them anything, sending power points of the contents to them instead— and decided to take the exam through an online platform.
A message appeared on her laptop screen when she was reading a question about engaging people in the media, startling her.
You’re now running low on reserve battery power. You need to plug the power adapter into your computer and into a power outlet. If you don’t, your computer will go to sleep in a few minutes to preserve its memory contents.
Groaning, she looked around, noticing not even one plug in sight. It didn’t surprise her, considering the old vibe of the store, it was a miracle that it had wireless connection to begin with. Hell, she had actually contemplated turning around upon first looking inside “Original Coffee”. Ancient shelves containing jar of coffee grains instead of a machine, and a counter guy dressed in a Viking costume? Weird.
The shining screen reminded her that she had fifteen minutes and forty seconds left to finish the exam.
She cursed her bad luck. Had she walked under a ladder that day? She really hoped not.
Although it wasn’t completely her fault, on second thought, it was Katherine’s.
- Practice, meditate, or spend more time in natural areas. Forests, beaches, your local park, the tree in your back yard. The more time you spend outside, the more time you a) get more in tune with nature and become more sensitive and b) make yourself known to any entities that lurk in those areas. - Some people suggest the more magic you do, the more entities are drawn to you. If they sense things going on, they may be more inclined to investigate. Because of this, I advise cleansing regularly. I imagine negative entities are more prone to checking out negative energy and vice versa for less nasty creatures. - If there is a spiritual or natural area that you feel may be home to fey or spirits in general, a way to make a good first impression is to leave an offering. Fey in general can like sugar, milk, and sweets. If you can’t provide something physical, music or writing can also work. Different entities will have appreciations for different offerings. Just ensure what you leave won’t negatively impact the environment, and that you don’t litter. - Travel to the astral realm or the fey lands. You are bound to run into fey there. Ensure you do your research and take precautions. Be on good behaviour in places where other entities reside, and be sure to stay from places that give you negative vibes. Learn the etiquette of talking to fey and how to navigate the astral.
Talking to fey and entities:
- Use a different name. You as a person are made more powerful by being considered a person. Your name is where this power lies. If you tell fey your true name, it can be dangerous. They will have an advantage over you because they know where your power comes from and can undo it. More sinister creatures can even try to take your power from you, similar to how an identity thief might. Fey will almost never give you their true name and commonly go by several different titles. When dealing with them, you should too. “When in Rome, do as the Romans,” basically. Consider the name you give them as like an online alias. - Don’t eat or drink anything you are given by fey. Lots of different folklore will tell you different things about this, but the underlining meaning is that it’s dangerous to do so. Persephone ate six seeds when she was in the underworld and has to stay there for six months each year. Basically, if you eat something given to you by somebody else, or while in somebody else’s domain – even in the human world – you owe them to an extent. The fey take favours seriously. Some won’t torture you for these things, but some might. - Don’t dance with fey. I don’t know the reasoning for this, but I know that folklore suggests that you can be trapped by fey if you do. Apologies, but I don’t know why. I’ll be sure to ask next time I talk to Mr Night, and edit this post. - Be careful when you say ‘sorry’ and ‘thank you’. As mentioned above, fey take favours very seriously. When you say sorry or thank you, that is a form of you saying, ‘I owe you.’ Don’t do it. Or if you do it, be hyperaware and careful. Say, ‘I apologise for my mistake,’ or ‘I’m grateful for this,’ instead, to express your feelings without putting yourself in the lesser position. - If fey ever offer you something or ask for something, detail things out specifically and carefully. Some are perfectly fine and won’t twist your words, but – as with people – there are plenty of entities that will make you regret wishing for something. I had a favour done for me and it basically went like this:
‘I can help make it better if you like.’ ‘I’m super stressed about this and I don’t want further trouble. I’m not sure if I should ask you.’ ‘I understand. How about I make sure things go smoothly and he won’t get angry with you.’ ‘You won’t hurt anyone involved or anything?’ ‘Of course not.’ ‘And what would I have to do in return?’ ‘One favour in the indefinite future.’ ‘I’m not sure about that.’ ‘Okay. How about I promise that it will be something you’re fully capable of doing or giving.’ ‘I’m still not sure about that.’ ‘Okay. One favour in the indefinite future that you are fully capable of doing or giving, that won’t bring you any trouble, and that you’ll be happy to do.’ ‘Okay, I think I can agree to that.’
- Friendship is different for fey. Don’t easily call fey your friend. If you decide that you’re close enough to be their friend, ask their permission and their opinion, and what a friendship between the pair of you would entitle. There are usually strings attached with lots of things involving fey or astral entities. - Just be polite. Be really polite. Don’t anger anyone unless they are openly bad to you and you’re certain you can stand your ground against them and make them pay.
Navigating the Astral:
- Read the above and make sure you know the proper etiquette for talking to fey and astral entities. Don’t eat, drink, dance, or give out your true name. Don’t stray into dangerous areas or places that give you bad vibes. Don’t be afraid to take baby steps with your travelling. - Just a suggestion but cleans yourself when you get back. Especially if you’ve been through a negative experience. You don’t want to carry that energy around. - Because the astral is made up completely of energy, don’t be surprised if you take in things differently. You might find that everything blurs or is fragmented, or even that your point of view will change. Same deal with hearing. Words may not make sense, some entities communicate with images, and sometimes sentences are fragmented. This is because your brain, used to physical material, is trying to process all of this energy in ways that it understands. You are energy, when in the astral, so your senses will be different. If you’re unsure of things, take your time, and if it’s in conversations, just ask the entity what they mean, or to repeat themselves. - It can be ideal to prepare a kit that you hold whenever you journey to the astral. Dirt from your home is something to include. Throwing it at hostile entities can slow them down from attacking you. String can also be handy in case, for some reason, you find returning to your body more difficult (it’s usually not a problem, but there are worst case scenarios, depending on how deep you delve into that world). A weapon or candle maybe. Whatever you feel is best. - Some areas may be out of bounds. Ask any nearby entities if you are unsure. - I may come back and edit this post if I remember anything else.
Raise your frequency, vibration
1. Purify your body. Toxins lower your energy and your vibration, so if you can, remove cigarettes, alcohol, animal products, refined foods, pesticides, and smog/pollution from your life. Instead, eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and try to buy organic wherever possible. Live where the air is fresh and people aren’t blowing smoke at you.
2. Take a social inventory. I read in a book once that whichever 6 people you spend the most time with you are most likely to emulate. So who are you hanging around with? Who do you spend the most time with? What are they like? Are they honest, hard working, highly aware people who are peaceful, loving, kind and compassionate? Or are they pessimistic, argumentative, greedy, selfish louts who lie, cheat, and steal their way through life? If you’re around people who vibrate at a low frequency, you’ll be hard pressed to keep your energy high.
3. Meditate. Meditation will raise your vibration. When you quiet your mind it gives Source an opportunity to reach you. All you have to do is listen. You don’t have to chant and sit in a funny position that will cause your feet to fall asleep. Just sit in a chair or lie in your bed, take some deep breaths, do a visual meditation or just quiet your mind. Start asking questions and see if you hear any answers.
4. Practice compassion. When you genuinely and compassionately help others you automatically raise your vibration. There have been times when I’ve gotten some bad news, or I’m upset, and my energy is temporarily lowered. . But I’ve learned that when I’m “in my stuff” as my friend calls it, that the best way for me to break out of the negative is to remember how blessed I am and help someone less fortunate than myself.
5. Journal. Keep a journal I have journal entries going back 8 years. Instead of writing what I did each day like a laundry list, I use the journal to explore my own personal growth. Self-discovery is awesome! It definitely raises your vibration. When you know that you are the only one in the world who will read your journal (it is password protected) then you feel safe to explore your own psyche. I’ve learned a lot about myself through journaling and I really recommend it.
6.Once you get going you might even be able to channel messages from your higher self. And the best part is you have a written record that you can actually search through when you want to find something you wrote years ago (and that beats looking through a handwritten diary or journal!). Again, these are just a few ways to increase your vibration. Listening to music, exercising, and volunteering your time will work too. Anything you do that taps into your heart and your joy will raise your vibration.
There will be times when something needs to change in your life, and the Universe is ready to oblige.
It may be that there’s a lesson you need to learn, a shift that needs to take place, or a change in your circumstances that is overdue.
These evolutions are not always nice. They don’t always feel good. Sometimes, in the necessary process, other people will do or say things to you that bring you to your knees. You will be attacked, perhaps physically, perhaps emotionally, perhaps spiritually - however it all plays out, one thing is clear.
The Shit Has Hit The Fan. AndohmygodIjustwanttocurlupanddie.
This little guide has been put together to help you deal with those events in your life.
1) Practical Solutions Come First.
Strap yourself in, I’m going to use a lot of metaphor here. I can’t help it.
In the immediate aftermath of this blitzkrieg on your physical, emotional, and spiritual self, you’re going to have to do some triage. Pull out the shrapnel. If it hurts really bad, then scream. Cry. But for the love of kittens get out the gauze and the salves. Your first duty to yourself is to take inventory, and try to fix the damage as much as possible. Depending on what has gone down, you may need to make phonecalls, write emails, take a cab, or give an apology. Paperwork might be involved. I don’t know. But you will. Essentially - take care of business.
This includes being pissed off, or heartbroken, or bewildered. Do your best not to squash your initial reaction. Temper it, if need be, so you don’t make a bad situation worse, but in your own personal space…let it run its course. I can’t stress how important this is. Get. Mad. Trying to immediately release emotions like these is just asking for them to boomerang back. They’re only going to go when you really are ready to let them go.
If there’s time, and you find that crystals help you, grab this Oh-Shit Combo. It’s what’ I turn to when I just. Can’t. Handle it. When there’s so much negativity in the air and around the situation that I feel like I’ll suffocate. Keeping these crystals nearby, looking at them, holding them, it helps to take the sting off. Seriously, feel free to put this image as your desktop background. It might help.
Black tourmaline for managing all that negative crap, tiger’s eye to help support your confidence. Black tourmaline AGAIN because you probably need to double up on keeping the low-vibration elements away from you. Blue calcite for soothing calm. Fluorite, to me, feels like a feather duster. Black tourmaline is the Dyson, but you need Fluorite to get in the nooks and crevices and clean out the nasty negative dust.
Everything is Still Pretty Awful…But Now I Just Want to Feel Better. How to Cope With the Aftershocks.
Very few traumatic or troubling events happen all at once, and then are finished. There are usually ripples. During that time, your duty is to continue dealing with the practical things while taking care of yourself so that you are as close to 100% as you possibly can be. The goal is to be balanced again. You don’t have to be crazy-cheerful-joyous, just happy enough and balanced enough that living isn’t a chore.
Step 1) FORGIVE.
Start with yourself. Own up to what you did to make this happen. Say it out loud, or in your mind. “I forgive you” - directed at yourself. If you don’t feel immediately better after this, then do it again. Mean it.
Step 2) FORGIVE AGAIN.
This time, forgive the person that you perceive as the antagonizer. You don’t have to forgive them in-person, you can do it in your mind just as you did it for yourself. Say: “I forgive you for hurting me.” Try not to get too specific and vindictive with something like: “I forgive you for backstabbing me and ruining my life and making me feel like a loser” ‘cause that’s not sincere. You need to actually forgive them. Again, you should absolutely feel some relief after this. If you don’t, then it’s a sign that you’re probably not done with draining the wound. You may have some anger that you need to sit with awhile longer. Or some more tears to shed. Do it, and when you feel better come back to this step.
Step 3) Repeat steps 1 and 2.
Whenever you start to feel down, that’s your sign that you need to let something go. Forgive, forgive, forgive.
Step 4) Apologize.
To yourself. To the antagonizer. To the president (or whoever). To the system that was set in place that screwed you over. Even if you did nothing wrong, just trust me here and apologize. “I am sorry for whatever I have done to contribute to this present condition.”
Step 5) Get happy.
This is perhaps the toughest part, but it should also be pretty rewarding. Go out and get your comfort food. Give yourself permission to allow a pizza, wings, and ice cream feast to lighten your mood. Watch that movie that makes you cry, or laugh hysterically. Play a videogame. Go for a walk. Channel your pain into your art. Whatever your favorite activity is…do it. This is the point where you take practical and real-world steps to bringing up your mood so that you’re not standing there like a sad lump of clay, getting molded into something even sadder, and lumpier. No…YOU need to mold yourself into what you want to be. Strong. Confident. Persistent. Happy. And ice cream is just one of the many paths that can get you there.
But also, remember this: Crutches are okay when you’re limping, but there will come a point (and you’ll know it when you get there) that you have to drop those crutches (the ice cream and pizza…you following along here?) and decide that you are bound and determined not to let this crap get you down any longer. Recovering yourself is going to come from YOU…not the ice cream. Unfortunately.
Step 6) If Crystals are your thing, try this.
My cleanup-on-aisle-six combo. Mangano Calcite for really gentle healing vibes. Green calcite to bring that fresh feeling into your heart - that feeling that you get when the day was shit, but you see something beautiful and you can’t help but feel that everything is going to be okay. Lithium quartz. To me, it has a numbing quality, that I think should help ease the pain. Like a tylenol. Lepidolite, to spark those deeper seeds of joy that need help growing. And amethyst, which is my go-to when I feel that I need protection, or a shield.
EDIT (I knew I forgot something)
Step 7) Try some color therapy.
Eat, wear, look at, and surround yourself with a color that makes you feel better. I have a few recommendations…
Heartache? Something in a pink or green. Browse. Feel it out.
Took a blow to your self-esteem? Orange. Yellow. Every shade in-between.
Experiment and go with your gut on this one.
Change your desktop background, look for fruits and vegetables in the color that supports you, and raid your wardrobe for clothing and accessories that highlight how you want to feel.
And that’s it. I may come back and add more information if something strikes me, but you get the gist.
Wishing you love, light, and happiness as you move through whatever trial you’re in.
I know that you, calamity-kitten, and marrecarandgi have a very long discussion about Tauriel going. So congrats, you get to be the springboard for my Tauriel thoughts. (Hope you don’t mind.) I know a big problem (for me) of Tauriel’s is that she’s literally really the only female character of (vague) consequence in the trilogy. She has such a smattering of traits that it feels like she’s three or more characters smashed into one person, but any of those traits could have worked fine on their own. So I’m always confused as to why the writers wrote one extremely conflicting character, rather than just writing more women. Do Thranduil’s and Bard’s wives have to be dead? Why is Dis just a silent unnamed mother character? Why is Tauriel not two elves: the skilled, capable captain and her friend, the ruthless, reckless underling. Why do I have a scene of young!Bilbo playing with a little toy Sting instead of a flashback of Belladonna telling her son a story of one of her adventures. I don’t need Alfrid, I don’t need Legolas (or this version of Legolas, anyway) and I don’t need that lengthy side-plot with Thorin’s father in the DoS EE. I wanted more women, and more variations of women, because so far the movies have only given me conventionally attractive white women. Dis wouldn’t be the same body type. Given that movie!Laketown seems to be mixed race, Bard’s wife could be non-white. Tauriel is the bare minimum of what could have been done, and she wasn’t even done well. But I could forgive a lot of her character flaws if this was a trilogy of diverse women with different personalities, instead of one woman that’s a little bit of everything.
These are actually interesting and concerning points, especially given the point you make about how Tauriel seems to be multiple characters in one. I had been chalking that up to bad writing and characterisation without really following through to the implications that they totally could have had multiple female characters here and yet decided to cram all the story they wanted to tell into one. It really is just further evidence that this is not and never was about female representation.
Because yes, give us all the women listed in this ask! Give us brave and competent Tauriel; headstrong, naive and reckless Tawarian; ethereal queen Menelmir; mother bear Dis; tough-as-nails Birget and her two daughters practical Sigrid and sweet-natured Tilda; adventurous and world-wise Belladonna… Give us these girls instead of just one fight scene!
this is going to be a long-ass post, filled with confusion at everyone whining and losing hope. i am spitting mad at all of you but will try to refrain myself. here we go, welcome to angry dumb positivity, folks.