the obama bear hug

Pictures from the Obama Presidency

I love this picture of restaurant owner Scott Van Duzer giving Obama a bear hug in Florida. While not technically brilliant or beautiful, the photo shows a genuine moment of exuberance, and the look of shock on the face of the man on the far right is fantastic

Photograph: Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Image

Obama fist-bumps custodian Lawrence Lipscomb in the White House. Captured by official photographer Pete Souza, this was a moment of courtesy and camaraderie - informal and unscripted, trademarks of his presidency

Photograph: Pete Souza/The White House

Obama talks with his daughter Malia on the swing set outside the Oval Office. Obama has always found time for his family despite the demands on his time, and this is a real ‘dad moment’, symbolising the importance of their relationship

Photograph: Pete Souza/The White House

After meeting with Olympic gymnast McKayla Maroney, Obama mimics her ‘not impressed’ look. His jokey nature and willingness to make a fool of himself has been a large part of his appeal

Photograph: Pete Souza/The White House

Out of a U.S. population of 250,000,000 eligible voters, roughly 30 percent actually voted for our president-elect – and I’m willing to bet a great deal of those did it only because they hated Hillary’s guts as much as the left hates Trump. For the American people, this was a battle of spite – the political equivalent of the ending of Se7en. And now that we’ve purposefully failed this Jigsaw trap, the “victors” aren’t exactly whistling “We Are The Champions.”

In short, no matter who had won, they were going to start as the least popular president in a long while. Only here’s the one key difference: Unlike Trump, Hillary Clinton has endured 30 goddamn years of grade-A American bullshit … whereas T-Money can’t handle so much as a SNL sketch or reasoned plea without a 12-hour Twitter whine-and-jeez party.

I hate to break this to you, future-President Trump (we both know you read all my work), but even popular presidents get booed a whole lot. Obama was a brainy personified bear hug of a man, and even he got 30 death threats a day. Because no matter your charm, there is always going to be a large group of people getting triple-screwed by the system. And policies and party completely aside, Donald Trump has no charm. In fact, Donald J. Trump has all the social and sexual appeal of a maternity ward fire. He’ll be the first president with less charisma than the foam puppet version Gwar slaughters on stage.

And as he desperately attempts to rectify this, that 30 percent who were invigorated by his fringe message will no doubt hate his attempts to appear moderate for the other 70 percent. And while he could turn this all around with a smart and caring political support system, there’s one little problem …

5 Signs Donald Trump Is Going To Hate The Next Four Years