Sweet, sweet vindication
- Boss at last job: Give me your keys. I want you out in 15 min.
- Me: I haven't yet finished my transition memo. Can I have another hour? I don't want to leave anyone in the lurch. [The memo was already 20 pages long but she didn't know that.]
- Boss: There's literally nothing you could write in that transition memo that would contribute to the institutional knowledge here. Here is your termination letter.
- ...Ten months later, I now hold the same title as her but at a different organization...
- Me: [at a lunch meeting of the professional association--my old boss is present]
- Text from my former admin assistant from old job: That memo you left last year has been immensely helpful. We've been using it for months.
- Text: I have one question about a pressing issue, though. Can I call you?
- Me: [steps out to call the employee of my former boss to offer him some useful institutional knowledge]
- Me: 😈