the islam

Do not underestimate yourselves because of your young age. For, whenever Umar ibn Al-Khattab was faced with a difficult matter, he would invite the youths and consult them; seeking the sharpness of their intelligence.

Ibn Shihab Source: Hilyah Al-Awliyah 3/364

early morning RoL thoughts

Because y’all know what my obsession is at the moment, and because I don’t think I’ve seen it explained before? Some etymology about how Walid’s name is/was perfectly chosen - 

Abdul : common transliteration of the prefix ‘Abd al/el’ meaning ‘servant of,’ or ‘servant of the’ (with ‘Abd’ also meaning ‘worshipper’)

Haqq : ‘truth’ (Al-Haqq or ‘the Truth’ is one of the names of Allah)

Walid (or Waleed) : ‘newborn,’ derived from ‘walada,’ to give birth. 

Well-played, Aaronovitch. Well-played.

jummah yesterday was cute because the imam was breaking down #basic #uncritical understandings of masculinity and basically tryna push all these black men to internalize/exude gentleness, softness, mercy, forgivingness, lovingness, showing physical affection to their sons (hug, kiss, etc), etc etc and  bringing it back to a few powerful quranic verses.

it was cute and there was some resistance to it but also some folks who opened up and i think that’s maybe why i really enjoy this masjid.  i vibe with maybe 75% of what i’ve heard there, and surprisingly the other 25% wasn’t necessarily counter to my politics or worldview, it was just boring lmao. 

im not exactly connecting with folks there yet. i just kinda show up for fridays and immediately drive home, but my experiences are getting better and better.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال‏:‏ ‏"‏كفى بالمرء كذبًا أن يحدث بكل ما سمع‏"‏‏.‏ 

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) said:The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “It is enough for a man to prove himself a liar when he goes on narrating whatever he hears.”

Sahih Muslim

Know that the path to Allah is not a flat one. Your iman will go up and down. Your ability to worship will go up and down. But. know that for every dip. there is also a rise. Just stay patient, stay consistent, don’t lose hope and seek help in Allah. The path is hard. The path will have bumps and drops. But. like all things in this life, this path will come to an end. And that end will make it all worth it!
Via: @yourakhi_batman (IG)