Mulan is not a princess, Mulan is Disney Princess.
I had promised myself to never take part to this never-ending argument but apparently I’m going to break that promise.
So, frankly Mulan is NOT a princess.
- She doesn’t marry a prince, Shang is son of a general and he becomes one too
- Her family isn’t royalty, she’s not daughter of the emperor
That’s simple, Mulan does not have title or situation of princess in her society.
BUT the confusing fact for the great amount of people, Mulan IS part of Disney Princess franchise. Try to get it, Mulan is not a princess but she is Disney Princess.
Now, forget for a moment that there’s the word “princess” and think some of the rules to be in that group.
- Main character or one of the main characters
- Good role model
- Successful movie
I said some rules because I’m quite sure there was few more which I don’t remember right now. Mulan fits all these but so do Esmeralda from Hunchback of the Notre Dame and Megara from Hercules. Now some could argue that Megara isn’t so good role model and Esmeralda’s movie is too dark for little kids, I don’t agree with those but that’s not the point.
But here’s few reasons why I think Mulan is included in Disney Princess lineup.
- Hands down she’s amazing role model and inspiration
- The whole lineup exist practically just to make money, and Mulan brings diversity
- One of the historical inaccuracies in the movie but the emperor actually bowed to her. The whole China bowed to her. Any idea how much respect she gets there? The emperor himself bowed. to. her. I think that’s a lot of more respect that any princess would get. She also gets emperor’s crest for the whole saving china business and that respect can easily allow her the title honorary princess.
- Even tough she doesn’t marry a prince she does kinda marry into royalty, Shang and his father seemed to be in quite high position and during Tang dynasty(which is the dynasty Disney’s movie is most closely based on) surname Li was a royal name.
The arguments why Mulan shouldn’t be princess seem to be that either people simply don’t want her in the lineup because she’s not real princess or that they think that it’s insulting to Mulan who saved whole China to be simply called princess. So mainly I however suppose that people do love her and therefore I can’t understand what you think to achieve by removing her from the line up? In my opinion there’s many strong female characters beside Mulan in the lineup and even so her being part of the lineup shouldn’t be something that would make her weak. Mulan has both boyish and girly side, and the last time I checked being girly wasn’t negative trait.
I adore Mulan, and I love collect all possible stuff about her. But sadly I, like many other people too, live completely back water where Disney stores haven’t been even heard of. And ordering online is expensive.
So almost everything Mulan related I have is through Disney Princesses, a great deal of all Mulan merchandise is related to Disney Princesses, and even though Disney pretty much ignores Mulan and Pocahontas as princesses they still at least got something, sometimes. That’s more than nothing, that’s more than those sadly underrated Disney heroines get who are practically forgotten. To be honest I can’t see the problem Mulan being Disney Princess other than the confuse of her title being honorary princess. Of course her character gets mistreated sometimes as Disney is determined to bury princesses in glitter but if you pay attention so does other characters in the lineup too. I don’t know about you guys but for some decent merchandise I’m willing to tolerate some pink glitter poofyness, and I have no idea if that’s actually a word :P
I would love to see all those forgotten heroines to get the attention they deserve, see Esmeralda and Jane back to the lineup like they used to be. But I have no power on deciding that subject, like really none of us outside the Disney company does.
Anyway here’s my point shortly, whenever you like it or not Mulan is and will be part of Disney Princess franchise and there’s nothing you can do about it. Exept continue whining about it and make major posting how Mulan didn’t marry prince or born to royalty blah blah which have been seen million times before and then feel “oh man I’m so smart” which will do nothing but either amuse or annoy me depending on my day.
And in the end a quote from every Disney Princess magazine cover I have: Everyone can be a princess.