Hi @ohtze! I love your Star Wars meta & am particularly intrigued by "Death and the Maiden." Do you have any book recommendations to learn more about literary tropes? Also, what are some of your favorite books of all time? Thanks!!
Re tropes: nothing off the top of my head that I would personally recommend. It always tends to be talked about as part of a larger body of work, rather than the main topic? I’d definitely read anything on archetypal literary criticism, though.
Honestly if you’re looking for an easy-to-use, tropes-all-in-one-place compendium, tvtropes.org works. It’s not classical archetype-oriented, but it’s a great introduction to modern/pop-cultural artifacts.
Favorite books of all time (genre is in brackets):
- The Darkangel Trilogy, by Meredith Ann Pierce (dark science fantasy/tragic romance, sO GOOD OH GOD I THIRST I CRAVE SO FORMATIVE ON MY MIND I’M SHAKING)
- The Silver Metal Lover, by Tanith Lee (dark science fantasy, robot fucking everywhere)
- Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien (epic fantasy, Elves Making Stupid Decisions™)
- Dune, by Frank Herbert (science fantasy, #my aesthetic)
- The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (science fiction, excellent world-building, terrible female characters. Like, all three of them. In a story spanning hundreds of thousands of years)
- Memory, Sorrow & Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams (epic fantasy, precursor to the “Game of Thrones” style of fantasy. If you’re looking for a nice mix between Tolkien and G.R.R. Martin, this is it)
- Lady of the Forest, by Jennifer Roberson (historical romance, retelling of the Robin Hood and Maid Marian legend. Shameless fluff, but well written)
- Flowers in the Attic, by V.C. Andrews (”family drama.” Incest. Incest everywhere)
- The Chalice and the Blade, by Glenna Mcreynolds (pornographic historical romance. High-key medieval smut between former-male-escort-turned-Danish-sorcerer and Welsh magical-girl-destined-to-do-the-deed-on-the-Wild-Hunt. I shit you not)
This vampire novel set in Toronto, Ontario that was really good but for the life of me I can’t remember the name, it’s been ages
There’s more, but I’m forgetting the names. It’ll come to me eventually.