1. Use the lyrics of your favorite song as the basis for a short story.
2. Write a mystery. Start with a question and write until you answer it. If you don’t know the answer: even better.
3.Tell this story: “And it was that exact moment that the power came back on…"
4. Write a scene that starts with the line, "Darling, stop."
5. Write a scene that happens right after a tradegy. Don’t mention the tragedy.
6. Go to your nearest book. Turn to page 51. Find the first line of the last paragraph on the page. Use that line to start your scene.
7. Write a story that starts with a word you picked out of a dictionary at random.
8. Write a scene using the line "Wait, these codes aren’t right."
9. Use this in a scene: All I heard was "I swear it will be funny…” and then we were in jail.
10. Write a scene where your Antagonist stumbles upon someone from their past. Someone they tried to forget. How has time changed them?
11. “So… I wasn’t supposed to press that button?”
12. Tell this story: “It was less than a second, maybe half a second, but it changed everything."
13. Write about this: They sent me because I don’t exist.
14. Your story has to include this line, either at the beginning, middle, or end: ”…but if anyone asks, tell them we’re fine.“
15. Write about the sound of winter.
16. Create a character that is a villain to both your antagonist and protagonist.
17. Shuffle time!! Put your music on shuffle and start writing. Everytime the song changes, change the mood of the story to match the music.
18. Your character falls down a flight of stairs. What happens?
19. Write about the morning after the day she died.
20. Write a scene that takes place on a subway. There are five stops in the scene.
21. Write a story that starts with a screech.
22. Write a short paragraph ending with these words: He would give anything to turn back the clock five minutes.
23. What if the story started with this? The bomb exploded.
24. When they were young, your Protagonist made a promise they weren’t able to keep. What was it?
25. Describe a character twice. Once to fall in love with them, then again to be repulsed by them.
26. You are a kid’s imaginary friend. He’s growing up. You’re fading away.
27. At birth, everyone has the date they will die tattooed on their arm. You were supposed to die yesterday.
28. A little girl is terrified of the monster under her bed, but what she doesn’t know is that the monster under her bed protects her from the true monsters - her parents.
29. Everyone human being is born with a birthmark signifying a great deed they are fated to do in their lives. Your first child has just been born with the mark of a murderer across her face.
30. Prompt: This is what the darkness promised.
31. Write a letter to someone who doesn’t like you.
32. I woke up to hear knocking on glass. At first I thought it was the window until I heard it come from the mirror again.
33. Suddenly, all over the world, all children start drawing the same thing over and over again.
34. Write about a character who can’t keep secrets.
35. At the beginning of mankind, there were only zombies. They began to evolve and have a human apocalypse.
36. You run into the gym and mysteriously find yourself in a forest. You learn you have been granted one super power. Describe your journey home.
37. Write about this: What would you do if you weren’t afraid?
38. What if tattoos just randomly appeared on our skin at key points in our lives and we had to figure out what they meant for ourselves.
39. Write down who you were, who you are and what you want to remember.
40. Write a scene that starts with: "I haven’t told anyone this before, but I’m going to tell you now.”
41. Write a scene using this line: “I saw what was in his mind. I know what he’s planning.”
42. Write a scene only using dialogue. Start with the line, “What do I do? He’s been there all day."
43. Write dialogue - two people. They both say "I love you,” but only through subtext.
44. Write a scene using these dialogues: “Do you trust me?” “No.” “Smart man.”
45. Dialogue Prompt: “I’m trying my best to be polite, but if you move that knife a centimeter closer to me I will tear you apart."
46. Use this as inspiration for your next scene: You ruined me. I plan on returning the favor.
47. Have one character convince another to do something incredibly stupid.
48. Dialogue Prompt: "What’s the little blinking light mean?” “It means… wait, blinking?"
49. Dialogue Prompt: "Now remember, if you hear ominous chanting, the appropriate response is to run."
50. Dialogue Prompt: "Shit, man, we brought the wrong kid.” “You’re kidding me."
Have fun writing!
Posted: 10 January 2015
Last Updated: 10 January 2015