Wreck-It Ralph is like the most underrated film of all time. We should talk about it more. Why?
- THE ANIMATION IS SO GREAT AND PRETTY AND CLEVER. There’s a slightly different effect for all the different games, and all the characters in Fix-It Felix Jr. move with a little bit of pixelly-ness and when the cake splattered it made pixelly designs and GRAH I just love it wow
- It smashes gender roles in like five seconds because the first person to play the ultra-violent video game is a little blonde girl wearing pink with a little bow on her head, and when that game is a bust, she goes to the pink candy racing game and the two people hogging it are two gruff-looking teenage boys.
- CHARACTER. DEVELOPMENT. SO MUCH OF IT. WOW. And the characters are all relatable, or likeable, or at least 3-dimensional - or all three!
- The message is a really good one (“be yourself”) but it’s not presented in an icky, childish, dumb way - it’s about someone who hates himself struggling to realise that the only reason he can be happy is by accepting himself, not by having others accept him. How great is that?!
- FEMINISM, BITCHES. The shiny sparkly pink princess rejects the poofy dress in favour of a presidency and “constitutional democracy”. The badass lady isn’t a Strong Female Character - she’s just a very strong character who is female. Her tragic backstory is actually tragic and gives a real reason as to why she is the way she is. And at the end of the film [spoilers I guess] when Felix makes an advance, he backs right off when he remembers what happened earlier and realises he might have overstepped because he gets that no means no. THANK YOU DISNEY.
- Feelings. Feelings feelings feelings. This movie sends me from giddily happy to crying in the corner in like five seconds. I love it.
WATCH THE MOVIE AND LOVE IT FOREVER WOW WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT WRECK-IT RALPH WAY MORE OFTEN